Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Upper placement does not cook the top very fast? I want to verify that.

If I have a wood-fired oven that's cooling down and I don't want to feed it any more, I would finish the top by lifting the pizza up to the roof of the oven on the long peel for 10-30 seconds and get everything I needed for it. So I would figure moving to the top after a base bake would take care of business.

Strangely enough, yeah. In my current and previous oven (both of which only run the bottom element/burner) that seems to be the case. I think the pizza steel down low gets all the convection and some bonus radiant heat. When I use a steel very near the top, the whole thing cooks noticeably slower.

My solution has been to use the center of the oven (which is also directly inline with the convection fan), and if the bottom is done before the rest, I put it on a screen and put it on the rack directly underneath the steel to get as much radiant heat off of it as possible.

I think pizza in regular ovens is a game of finding what works and mitigating quirks of the particular oven you've got, though. If I had an electric oven I'd 100% be using those lovely large super even heating broiler elements to help with the top, but gas stoves and the single burner doesn't do the trick for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I ended up finishing pizzas in the drawer broiler in our old apartment, it worked but it was a pain in the rear end. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
made another pan pizza, used more yeast but still let it chill overnight, had to knock it down a few times. also had to finish it on the stove a little cause the bottom wasn't brown enough. I don't know if there is any point to cooking it on the stove first other than heating the pan up a bit, maybe next time I'll just do oven then stovetop.

I am loving no knead dough.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Kenji's recipe says do oven and then stove if needed, never seen anything about starting on stove. If you have a steel put the pan on that when you bake it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Kenji's recipe says do oven and then stove if needed, never seen anything about starting on stove. If you have a steel put the pan on that when you bake it.

so she starts off on the stove but the bottom ends up burnt so lol. I think I'll just finish on stove top, no I don't have a stone but whatever, the end product is perfect already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JESaD6tqXiQ
this guy also does it on stove first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TjUWnAK0cg

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I just parbake the crust only in the oven for a bit then put the toppings on then bake it, no stove involved

Works fine imo

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Blueberry & beet dyed wheat flour, olive oil, sugar, salt, sour yeast, active yeast for the dough. Fermented flour for the sides & bottom.

Mozzarella, smoked salmon, basil & black garlic tomato sauce, pomegranate and parmesan topping.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Skimmed the last few pages - Does anybody here ever make Detroit style, or do y'all tend to stick with thinner crust pizzas? I've had marginal success making Detroit style at home, but always felt like I couldn't get the dough to rise enough during the bake and it ends up being almost foccaccia-like. I'm looking for some suggestions on how I could improve it - I'm using Kenji's recipe.

Also, any owners of fancy ovens like the Ooni or Roccbox? I'm actually considering a propane Halo Versa 16 with Rotating Pizza Stone - My friends who own Ooni's and Roccbox's say the rotating stone is a really great feature, and while the Versa doesn't get as hot as others, I think it will get hot enough for my preferred style, which is typically New York and Detroit style.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Sorry but Detroit style is just not very popular so I doubt you'll get any feedback.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I tried it once with the big blocks of brick cheese and it was not good. I think I hate brick cheese though.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I tried it once with the big blocks of brick cheese and it was not good. I think I hate brick cheese though.

Brick cheese seems like just a milder cheddar to me. I know that there are different types of brick cheese though and I think I've only had young brick cheese from Wisconsin.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

There's gonna be people with more experience than me here, but I've made detroit style in an ooni a few times and I've been really happy with how it turned out.

My version is loosely based on this video and some other tidbits I've found around the net. I use the long 4x12" Lloyd pans, which I think make for a good serving size for 1-2 people, and I can fit two in the oven if I want to double up. I imagine the narrow pan is also better for getting an even cook in the super hot ooni. More crispy edges too.

For each pizza: 114g water, 4g honey, 3g salt, 1g yeast, 145g bread flour

Combine and knead for a few minutes until smooth and homogenous, then cover and proof for 30 minutes.

Use the strength building fold from the video 5-6 times. If making a single pizza, form into a long rod, otherwise form into a ball. Cover and rest for 2 hours.

If making multiple pizzas, divide the dough and form roughly into the shape of the pan.

Generously oil all sides of the pan and lay dough into it. Gently press to flatten and start filling the pan, then cover and let the dough relax for 30 minutes. Continue pressing and stretching toward the edges of the pan until it's almost fully covered and rest one more time for 45-60 minutes.

To parbake, preheat on high for 20-30 minutes, then set to ultra-low before putting the dough in. Rotate every minute to cook evenly, and swap pans halfway through if making two pizzas. Should take about four minutes total, and the dough should be pretty well browned on top.

Remove and let cool for a minute or two, then add cheese, sauce, and toppings. Back to the oven, cook on low, rotating every 30 seconds for about 2-3 minutes until the toppings have some char on them. Turn the oven off but leave the pizza in for another 1-2 minutes.

It's turned out great every time I've made it. The only issue I've run into is that the toppings can go from perfect to too charred very quickly, but even if that happens it still tastes good to me. I can't find brick cheese around here so I've been using 3 parts cheddar to 1 part part-skim mozz.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Corb3t posted:

Skimmed the last few pages - Does anybody here ever make Detroit style, or do y'all tend to stick with thinner crust pizzas? I've had marginal success making Detroit style at home, but always felt like I couldn't get the dough to rise enough during the bake and it ends up being almost foccaccia-like. I'm looking for some suggestions on how I could improve it - I'm using Kenji's recipe.

Also, any owners of fancy ovens like the Ooni or Roccbox? I'm actually considering a propane Halo Versa 16 with Rotating Pizza Stone - My friends who own Ooni's and Roccbox's say the rotating stone is a really great feature, and while the Versa doesn't get as hot as others, I think it will get hot enough for my preferred style, which is typically New York and Detroit style.

I pretty much always do Detroit style or Sicilian, because I suck at doing NY style pretty much. (Also every pizza place does an ok enough NY pie but almost none of them do Detroit where I am).

I think the easiest and most reliable way is doing a no kneed overnight (or more!) cold fermented dough.
https://youtu.be/9v60RaIPcRA?si=MV11Ijk_CRa1uum3

Brian's dough recipes in particular have always come out superb for me, I trust him with anything involving yeast.

Also just check ogopogo's post history in the thread for the most insanely good looking Detroit pies you've ever seen.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think it’s mostly just Widmer’s with different types of brick cheese mostly. It’s a lot like Kåse and can get more pungent with age which is where the cheddar connection comes from. A good mild young brick cheese will come in at about 7lbs and will be at a lot of deli counters in the Midwest at least. I can’t find it here in the PNW, but I can get the full blocks.

A young block is going to be just sort of creamy and boring, but it does have more acidity to me than good mozzarella.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

made another pan pizza today, came out little undercooked in the middle layer, guess I need to keep it on the top rack afterall.

I made the sauce up today from tomato paste, sundried tomato pesto, spices, red chili, olive oil, and salt. Tastes real good, but forgot to add garlic lol.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Detroit pizza rise: I never had a problem with height when I gave them a final cold ferment in their pans and parbaked them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Holy poo poo those pans are dope. A long skinny Lloyd's pan... it's so smart yet so simple.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I love those Lloyd pans. I've never seen that shape before.

I came up with a recipe for a Detroit-style sort of pizza in a 4 x 8 loaf pan. It's a bit big for a "personal" sized pizza unless you're really hungry, but it works well for 2 people with something like a small side salad.

Here's my recipe:
https://boundedbybuns.com/recipes/r/detroit-style-pepperoni-personal-pan-pizza

And here's a probably way too long, nerdy blog post about it and a 4 x 8 pan focaccia recipe for sandwiching.
https://boundedbybuns.com/detroit-style-pizzas-and-sandwiches/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i just use low moisture full fat mozz instead of brick cheese, dunno if i'm missing out on anything by not using brick cheese

as far as the dough rising goes, you can definitely get better rise by cold fermenting in the pan but honestly kenji's version comes out excellent with just a few hours on the countertop

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

dizzywhip posted:

I use the long 4x12" Lloyd pans, which I think make for a good serving size for 1-2 people, and I can fit two in the oven if I want to double up. I imagine the narrow pan is also better for getting an even cook in the super hot ooni. More crispy edges too.

:stwoon:

Well those are amazing and I just ordered 2 of them. What a beautiful pizza shape.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

i just use low moisture full fat mozz instead of brick cheese, dunno if i'm missing out on anything by not using brick cheese

as far as the dough rising goes, you can definitely get better rise by cold fermenting in the pan but honestly kenji's version comes out excellent with just a few hours on the countertop

The cold ferment is what gives the crust flavor, but you can just ferment a batch in bulk and pull off doughballs for the next 2 weeks. For my pan pizzas, I get fantastic rise & crisp by splitting out a doughball, giving it a half hour in a bowl in a warm oven, stretching it into the pan, then giving another 30-45 on the countertop. I skip the bowl if I'm lazy or in a hurry though.

Also Adam Ragusea's thing where he salts and peppers the pan before stretching in the dough is :discourse:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I usually cold ferment my deep dish dough for 24 hours. Is there a number of hours/days where the flavor returns diminish?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I usually cold ferment my deep dish dough for 24 hours. Is there a number of hours/days where the flavor returns diminish?

From my batches (yeasted, salted, no sugar, room-temp dough goes from mixer to freezer bag and straight into fridge):

<24 hrs: meh flavor
24-48 hrs: p good
3-7 days: real good
7-20 days: slow decline but still tasty, sourdough kinda notes

i make 2 kg of dough which usually lasts 10-14 days and it's tasty all the way through.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I second that you have up to a week.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I found the flavor of few hours old dough and 24h dough isn't that distinct, I need to try that week long one.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My favorite aspect of Detroit style is when they’ll put shredded Parmesan along the crust and it crisps up thanks to those dark Lloyd pan. So good.

Thanks for the tips guys, I’ll definitely put them to use soon. Totally mixing up a giant batch of dough and cold fermenting for up to a week now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Can someone post their favorite deep dish pizza dough recipe that uses butter in the dough?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Overtime I've been trying to dial in exactly how and where to cook various types of pizza in my weak oven. Aside from a few large bubbles on the bottom I think I finally got the dough for the grandma pie as good as I'm going to get it, at least using the Elements of Pizza recipe.

For me the parbake is key on this one otherwise the bottom just doesn't get crispy enough before the top cooks.

Edit: Maybe I'm gonna go after tavern style next while it's still cold out.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 21, 2024

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Made a couple of pizzas last night. Something been going on with the smoker recently so they've not been turning out as nice as they used to, but I'm happy with these.

I've been considering a pizza oven insert for the smoker because it'll allow the smoker to get hotter and give a more direct heat. It should also drastically cut down the cooking time and pellet consumption. I guess the trade off is only being able to cook one at a time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

Overtime I've been trying to dial in exactly how and where to cook various types of pizza in my weak oven. Aside from a few large bubbles on the bottom I think I finally got the dough for the grandma pie as good as I'm going to get it, at least using the Elements of Pizza recipe.

For me the parbake is key on this one otherwise the bottom just doesn't get crispy enough before the top cooks.

Edit: Maybe I'm gonna go after tavern style next while it's still cold out.

yeah every time I tried any sort of sheet pan pizza I had to parbake it, I really wanted to be able to do it just all in one go but I just couldn't make it work without burning the top so I stopped fighting it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I overdid it with the sauce and fresh mozzarella and it came out stodgy. I used homemade pasta sauce that's really good so I got heavy handed with it. Also included is some feta cheese, kalamata olives, low moisture mozzarella, and pepperoni. Also seasoned the dough with bunch of dried basil. Tastes great but texture sucks.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

I have had really good results with King Arthur's Detroit pizza recipe, which is nearly identical to Kenjis. I only tried it after I saw brick cheese in one of my local grocery stores and it has quickly become my go-to pizza. Allowing time for the second rise in the pan after a couple rounds of stretching to the corners seems to be the key.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Dumb question, do you portion after the fridge step, or after?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

JGdmn posted:

Dumb question, do you portion after the fridge step, or after?

I used to do it after, but now I do it after.

Shits aside, I used to do single portions but it's a huge pain in the rear end to separate 2 kg of dough into a 175g portions, more than I wanna do after the hassle of making dough

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

HolHorsejob posted:

Oh no!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HolHorsejob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHA5CIL0fg

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

portioning/shaping the dough before the fridge makes it a lot easier to get nice round NY style pizzas, in my experience.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

bees x1000 posted:

portioning/shaping the dough before the fridge makes it a lot easier to get nice round NY style pizzas, in my experience.

This is what I ended up doing. I was thinking this would be tomorrow's dinner, but now it's tonight's. A few hours in the fridge probably won't do much, but oh well.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

As my kid’s favorite pizza, I gotta say the dominos’ thin crust cheese hits above its price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
PizzApp has gone to dogshit after an update- now demands unnecessary tracking / GDPR waiver and won't let you block tracking ads. Pity since it was more or less perfect feature-wise.
Anyone got recs on an alternative?

I'm looking for something that can handle poolish %ages, adjust for leavening temps / number of balls / ball sizes etc.