Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

godzirraRAWR posted:

Jeff Varasano is a dick that rips off his employees, and will steal pies during rushes to give to attractive women in order to hit on them.

That being said, his process is amazing, and I even have a poolish with his starter in it that I've been babying for months now.

I used it to make some sourdough pizzadough and a couple loaves of bread the other day, and it was simply amazing.

I've been using my cast iron heavily oiled for both thick and thin crust pies. I used to have a fancyass pizza stone, but I broke that motherfucker with a QUICKNESS. I got so angry I swore never to buy one, but I think I'll break down soon. I've been making http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/breakfast-pizza/ lately, and it is AMAZING.

yeah I don't doubt he's a tremendous dick. my industry friends in town have said so, since I've asked around after this thread came up

how'd you break your pizza stone? I broke mine too but I don't even remember how it happened. I think it was something dumb like setting a cold pyrex baking pan on top of it in the oven and the stone just shattered. dumb dumb dumb. still though, had to suck it up and just shell out another 40 bucks or however much it was - far too useful not to have one, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
My parents keep a sourdough starter going all the time, and cook all their pizzas on a stone, on the barbeque. Always amazing, much better than the ones from their gas oven. It's in constant demand whenever we have family get-togethers and stuff, and I'm entirely covetous of my dad's big swanky grill (as well as my mom's antique gas oven/range which belonged to her mother and was recently transported a couple thousand miles to her newly remodeled kitchen.)

If it wasn't for the need to keep wood on-hand, I'd be working on a brick oven but will probably settle for a swanky bbq grill instead. :unsmith:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

mindphlux posted:

yeah I don't doubt he's a tremendous dick. my industry friends in town have said so, since I've asked around after this thread came up

how'd you break your pizza stone? I broke mine too but I don't even remember how it happened. I think it was something dumb like setting a cold pyrex baking pan on top of it in the oven and the stone just shattered. dumb dumb dumb. still though, had to suck it up and just shell out another 40 bucks or however much it was - far too useful not to have one, for sure.

Even though they have a lovely Web 1.0 website, http://www.bakingstone.com/. I spilled an entire pizza's worth of sauce on it at 800 degrees and it didn't make a peep.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone used granite or quartz countertop pieces for pizza stones? I googled it a bit and found something about Jamie Oliver recommending granite. Would be heavy though.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I just use a terra cotta saucer from Home Depot, costs 16 bucks and has stood up to being left in the over for a self-clean cycle on accident without shattering, makes incredible bread and pretzels, is awesome for roasting basically everything, and essentially doesn't give two shits what you do to it.

This thing right here beats the pants off of every pizza stone I ever owned, it even seasoned up like a cast iron does in no time. If the lip bugs you, you can just smack it off with a hammer+chisel.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nostrum posted:

Even though they have a lovely Web 1.0 website, http://www.bakingstone.com/. I spilled an entire pizza's worth of sauce on it at 800 degrees and it didn't make a peep.

I have the same one and it is fantastic.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

wormil posted:

Anyone used granite or quartz countertop pieces for pizza stones? I googled it a bit and found something about Jamie Oliver recommending granite. Would be heavy though.

My quartz countertops cost more than the car I currently drive.

I'm not putting any of that stuff in the drat oven.

The new oven works just fine, but God drat, are in-wall gas ovens teeny. I can *just* get a cookie sheet in there.

I set a layer of thin firebricks on the bottom of the oven floor (no, I didn't cover any vent holes) and on the top rack.

Pretend brick oven effect.

Works pretty drat good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I want a car made out of quartz countertops =/

avan
Apr 26, 2010
Alright well you have convinced me to make an entirely home made pizza tonight, I shall post the results!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mindphlux posted:

I want a car made out of quartz countertops =/

Do you only drive in school zones?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It not hot out so that means pizza time.

I ran out of bread flour, so my dough is 2/3 bread flour and 1/3 whole wheat flour.

I had some peppers laying around, so I threw that on there with some Porkroll. (Taylor Ham for those of you in North Jersey.)

I use the baking sheet as a peel. Slid it onto the stone and cooked 15 minutes or so at 550.

Went thick crust today.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

NosmoKing posted:

My quartz countertops cost more than the car I currently drive.

The scraps are dirt cheap. I bought a 30" wide piece for $30, cut to size, edges polished and it came with a backsplash. Basically it was free and the $30 went to the guys in the shop who do the cutting and polishing.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
My first attempt at using a peel:

Step by Step photos available here:
NY Style Sourdough Pizza
425 grams bread flour
255 grams warm water (110 degrees F)
60 grams of 50% hydration fed sourdough starter*
6.50 grams kosher salt
4.5 grams (about 1 teaspoon) granulated sugar
8.5 grams (about 1 3/4 teaspoons) olive oil
.065 grams (about 1 teaspoon) active dry yeast
semolina flour, for dusting

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 19, 2011

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I grow tomatoes and figs almost exclusively for pizza making. Can your own sauce, quarter figs, and make a fig & prosciutto pizza. It's comfort food on demand.

I work a good bit of fresh rosemary into my dough as well, and it makes for good results. Don't have an oven with a lot of heat so I have to make do with 550 degrees, but it ain't bad.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Bobx66 posted:

My first attempt at using a peel:

Step by Step photos available here:
NY Style Sourdough Pizza
425 grams bread flour
255 grams warm water (110 degrees F)
60 grams of 50% hydration fed sourdough starter*
6.50 grams kosher salt
4.5 grams (about 1 teaspoon) granulated sugar
8.5 grams (about 1 3/4 teaspoons) olive oil
.065 grams (about 1 teaspoon) active dry yeast
semolina flour, for dusting

Might be the best job yet. Do you think the peel helped much? Is it worth getting if you only make pizza ~3 times a month?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Might be the best job yet. Do you think the peel helped much? Is it worth getting if you only make pizza ~3 times a month?

Worst case it becomes part of your bedroom discipline.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love having a peel. It makes things a lot quicker, imo.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Thanks man, and ya it was a tremendous help. I was using wire screens before which make it super easy to form the dough but you dont get the benefit of the stone. I would say that the peel is almost required if you are using a stone.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FogHelmut posted:

It not hot out so that means pizza time.

I ran out of bread flour, so my dough is 2/3 bread flour and 1/3 whole wheat flour.

I had some peppers laying around, so I threw that on there with some Porkroll. (Taylor Ham for those of you in North Jersey.)

I use the baking sheet as a peel. Slid it onto the stone and cooked 15 minutes or so at 550.

Went thick crust today.
Just a minor tip that I learned working at Pizza Hut: spread your ingredients more densely toward the edges, because it all pulls inward when cooking. You'll have more good stuff rather than 2" of "bare crust" around the edges of your pie. :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I pizza'd again. Sausage, onion, green pepper this time.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
We made a pizza tonight. Deep dish, chicago-style, chorizo, and pepperoni.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

I pizza'd again. Sausage, onion, green pepper this time.

What kind of cheese, though?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What kind of cheese, though?

Pressed mozz pre-bake, microplaned parm post

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That is one glorious looking deep dish there glompix---stokes my appetite!

What kind of chorizo did you use?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

ExiledTinkerer posted:

That is one glorious looking deep dish there glompix---stokes my appetite!

What kind of chorizo did you use?

This brand called Old Folk's. We did use chorizo from Whole Foods, but Old Folk's is at Kroger and comes ground instead of as links which is better.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ah, so a Mexican chorizo then instead of Spanish? I'll have to keep an eye out for that particular one from my local Kroger.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Breakfast Pizza. Click for recipe.

We added the eggs half way through baking and covered them with cheese to make sure they didn't overcook.

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 24, 2011

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Glad this thread is back. Went deep dish Chicago style myself tonight.

It's a little messy and needs to be eaten with a fork and knife but drat if this wasn't one of the best pizza's I've ever had. Went pepperoni, sauteed garlic, mushrooms, onions and peppers. Topped with homemade tomato sauce, and parmigiana cheese. Oh and of course I put a layer of fresh mozzarella and provolone on the bottom.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Took a shot at cast iron pizza:

Mozza, pepperoni, ham, green pepper and onion. My big mistake was using too much dough, but it still came out really tasty.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

Your pizza looks amazing! What kind of ham did you use?

Phadedsky fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 26, 2011

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Someone mentioned cast iron. I was thinking if putting a cast iron griddle in the oven would work well as a substitute for a "real" pizza stone?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

smarion2 posted:

Glad this thread is back. Went deep dish Chicago style myself tonight.

It's a little messy and needs to be eaten with a fork and knife but drat if this wasn't one of the best pizza's I've ever had. Went pepperoni, sauteed garlic, mushrooms, onions and peppers. Topped with homemade tomato sauce, and parmigiana cheese. Oh and of course I put a layer of fresh mozzarella and provolone on the bottom.

What do you do for sauce? I feel like our sauce is our weak point. We buy peeled, canned tomatoes and crush them, but it ends up a little too runny/pulpy for my liking. Still really good, though! Chicago style best style. :hfive:

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

glompix posted:

What do you do for sauce? I feel like our sauce is our weak point. We buy peeled, canned tomatoes and crush them, but it ends up a little too runny/pulpy for my liking. Still really good, though! Chicago style best style. :hfive:

You can do a couple different things with the sauce depending what mood you're in. For my crust I followed the King Arther Flour recipe. I've found all of their stuff comes out amazing. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/01/16/heres-the-deep-dish-secrets-of-chicagos-favorite-pizza-revealed/

For the sauce I decided to make it different so I did what you did. Threw in some carrot, celery, onion and olive oil to my canned tomatoes. Also had some Cabernet lying around so I threw that in as well. Reduced it for a bit to get the water out and then ran it through my food processor.

I'm going to make it exactly like they do on the web site next because it looks pretty drat good as well.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Phadedsky posted:

Your pizza looks amazing! What kind of ham did you use?

Thanks! I just bought some sliced ham that was cut into circles already, but I bet leftover black forest would have been great.

e: that breakfast pizza looks awesome, definitely gonna try that out this weekend.

As far as cast iron griddles go, it should work the same way as a pizza stone, just make sure you preheat it enough and that it's well seasoned, or the dough might stick a bit.

Another Dirty Dish fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 26, 2011

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Someone mentioned cast iron. I was thinking if putting a cast iron griddle in the oven would work well as a substitute for a "real" pizza stone?

It would work wonderfully, properly done cast iron pan pizza is great, and by properly I mean using it like a pizza stone, not building a pizza in a cold pan.

Cast Iron pizza:

Preheated for 30min at 500, let broiler fire up, threw pizza in after another 5min, cooks in 4-6min.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

It would work wonderfully, properly done cast iron pan pizza is great, and by properly I mean using it like a pizza stone, not building a pizza in a cold pan.

Cast Iron pizza:

Preheated for 30min at 500, let broiler fire up, threw pizza in after another 5min, cooks in 4-6min.

I'm sure cast iron pizzas can be done well, but in the example you posted, that crust is charcoal :(

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm sure cast iron pizzas can be done well, but in the example you posted, that crust is charcoal :(

Its only the flour on the outside, it is chewey with a slight crunch.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I honestly thought the cast iron pan was still under the pizza in the thumbnailed photo.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Its only the flour on the outside, it is chewey with a slight crunch.

My mistake, your "flour on the outside" conforms to the shape of the crust perfectly, and reflects light like a charcoal-ed crust does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

My mistake, your "flour on the outside" conforms to the shape of the crust perfectly, and reflects light like a charcoal-ed crust does.

Im surprised you can see the detail from all the way up on that high horse.