Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I prefer an uncooked sauce. But using crushed tomatoes as opposed to whole, and then cooking on top of it, would seem to create the opposite of a chunky sauce? Why not use whole and hand crush for a better texture, especially if you're going to be cooking it which breaks the tomatoes down even more?

I phrased myself poorly. I meant that I like it chunkier than a blended sauce, but more of a suace than simply hand crushed tomatoes offer, hence cooking down the extra liquid. So I guess a "sauce" with medium-small chunks of tomato. Perhaps I'm picky...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zismuth
Jun 18, 2011
So I've never made my own dough (pizza or otherwise) before and I was wondering: If I want to make a dough that rose overnight, like the one in the OP, but don't plan to use it first thing in the morning... should I just start it tomorrow and let it rise for the same amount of time? I'd rather start it tonight - If I just leave it in the fridge longer (say, ten hours longer), how much will that affect the dough?

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

God that looks amazing. The only thing I miss about living in SC is the tons of basil I could grow and make pesto with :(

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I only know how to make dough by the 50 pound bag, but we usually leave it at room temperature for about 6 hours, then fridge it. It can be used after about 4 hours at room temp, but has to be docked (poked full of holes to prevent bubbles) a lot more. It's easier to work with when colder. I can post a video of how to do crusts pretty if anyone is curious, I only do a few hundred a day. :)

Edit: We use metal screens with a natural gas conveyer belt oven at 455 for 6 minutes and 10 seconds.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

indoflaven posted:

It's personal preference. I like a thin, cooked sauce. If I could get better mozz I might prefer fresh chunky.

Also Stromboli is awesome. I make it once every month or so. Great for parties.

If you're cool like me, you braid it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Made a few 10" pies this weekend. This was my first time making Pizza:

Mozzarella, Prosciutto, and Dates:

The dates and prosciutto together were a really really nice flavor. I will definitely be making this again, larger.

I also made a pepperoni after this, but that's boring. I can't say these were the best pizzas I've ever had, but I can't name another one I've had that was better.

I did these in a 14" cutter pan, since I didn't have a stone. Thanks to this thread I ordered a FibraMent that should be able to sit on the bottom of my oven all the time. I just used Alton Brown's basic recipe but it was absolutely delicious.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So I come here today with a trip report of the worst pizza I have ever created.

Let me start off by stating that I thought this recipe was doomed from the start, and I only went ahead with this because the wife insisted. She's dead to me now.

The recipe was for a Bratwurst pizza with a mustard pretzel crust

Crust was fairly standard except for the addition of crumbled mustard pretzel pieces. - OK. Whatever.

Cheese was caraway muenster - Unusual, but goes with the other ingredients

Here's where it falls apart:
"Sauce" was a combination of cream cheese and dijon mustard (yuck) and the abomination was topped with undercooked (per directions) bratwurst disks and crumbled pretzel pieces. The idae being that the bratwurst finishes cooking during the baking.

Probably the single worst thing I've created in the past 7-8 years.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Wasn't the title of the old pizza thread something like "even the mistakes are delicious"?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I dunno man I think that was referring to funky-shaped crusts, not whatever the hell that dude put together.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Second of two pies made using KA Sir Lancelot for the first time, just cheese and pepperoni on parchment paper on a stone for about 10 minutes at 500:

First one came out darn tasty, I was surprised at how much spring and stretch the dough had as opposed to using the bread flour.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

CzarChasm posted:

So I come here today with a trip report of the worst pizza I have ever created.

Let me start off by stating that I thought this recipe was doomed from the start, and I only went ahead with this because the wife insisted. She's dead to me now.

The recipe was for a Bratwurst pizza with a mustard pretzel crust

Crust was fairly standard except for the addition of crumbled mustard pretzel pieces. - OK. Whatever.

Cheese was caraway muenster - Unusual, but goes with the other ingredients

Here's where it falls apart:
"Sauce" was a combination of cream cheese and dijon mustard (yuck) and the abomination was topped with undercooked (per directions) bratwurst disks and crumbled pretzel pieces. The idae being that the bratwurst finishes cooking during the baking.

Probably the single worst thing I've created in the past 7-8 years.

How could you not get pictures of this for us?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If CzarChasm will provide the recipe, I don't see why we couldn't perfect the perfect Bratwurst pizza with a mustard pretzel crust.

hokiehokiehokiehigh
Aug 3, 2007
tech tech vpi
Hello, I'm about to bake my first pizza. I'm using Trader Joe's dough and a cookie sheet. I know this goes against the sacrament. I'm sorry. Is there any hope for me?

edit: Updates. Also, i forgot that my oven's heating element never turns off. Ever. I nearly burned my hand just putting the pizza in the oven.

The pizzas cooked pretty quickly, maybe 2-3 minutes apiece. The only issue i had was the middle of the pizza being undercooked. Is there any way to fix that? Besides getting a pizza stone. I'm going to be picking one up in the near future though, making your own pizza is way too much fun.

hokiehokiehokiehigh fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 25, 2012

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
If you had a stone and let it heat up for 40 min or so, I'm willing to bet you could get some incredible temperatures in your oven.

As for your pizza not cooking in the middle, stretching the dough a bit thinner might help, as will going lighter on the toppings (although it doesn't look like you did.)

angor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 25, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

angerbeet posted:

If CzarChasm will provide the recipe, I don't see why we couldn't perfect the perfect Bratwurst pizza with a mustard pretzel crust.

Here's the recipe. Also found Here: http://www.jsonline.com/features/food/brats-are-a-tasty-milwaukee-tradition-np3k12c-136598123.html

Looked like the picture in the article, but the crust was yellower (due to the mustard pretzel bits) and the bratwurst was cut thicker. I will also admit to halving this recipe (better to have half a recipe of good food than a full sized version of sucky food)

Dough
1 ½ cups room-temperature water
1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus ½ teaspoon oil to coat dough (divided)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup fine semolina flour
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups mustard-onion pretzels bits, ground fine in food processor

In a large bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook, combine water, yeast and 1/3 cup oil. Run on low speed 30 seconds to mix. Let stand 5 minutes.

In another bowl, mix the salt, flours and the 1½ cups ground pretzels together and add to the bowl. Mix 10 to 12 minutes on low to medium speed, stopping the machine and pushing the dough off the hook every 4 minutes.

Shape dough into a ball and place in a larger bowl with the remaining ½ teaspoon oil and turn dough to coat completely. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let rest in a warm spot (80 to 85 degrees) 2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch down dough and divide into 4 rounds. Place pieces on plastic wrap and cover with a towel and let rise again. This will take about 1 hour. Or, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Dough can be refrigerated up to 12 hours. (You can refrigerate it longer, but dough texture will change a bit.)

Pretzel Sausage Pizza with Wisconsin Caraway Muenster
Makes four (12-inch) pizzas
Dough (see recipe)

1 ½ cups (12 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup Dijon mustard
¾ pound fresh bratwurst, grilled 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly pink, cooled and cut into ¼-inch slices
¾ pound good-quality Wisconsin caraway Muenster cheese (or caraway brick), grated
1 cup mustard onion pretzel bits, chopped into about ½-inch pieces

Prepare dough. Set aside.

When ready to make pizzas, preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using a pizza stone, place in oven to preheat.

In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and mustard.

Roll pizza dough into four (12-inch) rounds that are each about ¼ inch thick. Place on preheated pizza stone or a lightly oiled sheet tray and bake in preheated oven 4 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

Remove crusts from oven and spread with a layer of the cream cheese mixture. Divide bratwurst slices and grated cheese over the top. Return to oven and bake 3 to 4 minutes until cheese is melted and crusts are golden. During the last two minutes, sprinkle with pretzel bits, then remove from oven and serve.

EDIT: VVVVVVV Noted.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 25, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

JS Online sucks.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My first thought would be to somehow make the crust like a soft pretzel instead of adding crumbled pretzel bits to it. No idea how you would accomplish that, since a pretzel is boiled, but I bet it would taste way better.

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
I would do a precooked crust type thing.

Bagels (which is pretty much what a pretzel is) and pizza are pretty compatible in the first place, so I was actually expecting a lot from the name of the dish.

Use a standard pretzel recipe (do a lye dip if you're a man) and preshape it into rounds before the dip, as if it were a pizza. Then bake it off as you normally would a pretzel. Here is a random pretzel recipe I found

The tricky part is turning the mustard into a sauce. I think they are on to something with the cream cheese mustard sauce, but it would probably be better to turn it into a bechemel and add the dijon or even an English style mustard. This way you get a much saucier-type finish that will spread easily and there's a lot of pizza precedent for it in the form of chicken alfredo pizzas and spinach-artichoke pizzas.

Add the sauce and the cheese (nothing wrong with the muenster here) and fry up the brats properly, drain, slice and add to the top.

Throw that into the oven the way you normally would a pizza (500 degrees+ etc etc) until the cheese is melty.

For the finishing touch, I thought of something that I've never tried, and which might be either horrible or awesome. Melt a tablespoon of butter and mix in some dry mustard powder, oregano and red chili flake and brush it onto the crust of the finished pizza.

I have never tried anything remotely like this dish in my life, but in my head the finished product seems awesome.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Hed posted:

Made a few 10" pies this weekend. This was my first time making Pizza:

Mozzarella, Prosciutto, and Dates:

The dates and prosciutto together were a really really nice flavor. I will definitely be making this again, larger.

I also made a pepperoni after this, but that's boring. I can't say these were the best pizzas I've ever had, but I can't name another one I've had that was better.

I did these in a 14" cutter pan, since I didn't have a stone. Thanks to this thread I ordered a FibraMent that should be able to sit on the bottom of my oven all the time. I just used Alton Brown's basic recipe but it was absolutely delicious.

This sounds delicious to me and I want to try it. What kind of dates did you use?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

My first thought would be to somehow make the crust like a soft pretzel instead of adding crumbled pretzel bits to it. No idea how you would accomplish that, since a pretzel is boiled, but I bet it would taste way better.

You could do a quick dip in a baking soda bath before topping.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Casu Marzu posted:

JS Online sucks.

Yeah but Sandy D'Amato doesn't. Dunno wtf is up with that recipe though, apparently he's gone slightly off the deep end.

theunderwaterbear
Sep 24, 2004
Does anyone have any tips for wholemeal pizza? I've made it before and it comes out good, but improvements can always be made. I just have a regular fan oven as hot as it goes (about 240C), on a baking tray.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I haven't tried it but the KAF blog had a whole wheat pizza recipe a while ago: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/06/20/a-tasty-whole-grain-pizza-crust-roasted-potatoes-optional/

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

hokiehokiehokiehigh posted:

Hello, I'm about to bake my first pizza. I'm using Trader Joe's dough and a cookie sheet. I know this goes against the sacrament. I'm sorry. Is there any hope for me?

edit: Updates. Also, i forgot that my oven's heating element never turns off. Ever. I nearly burned my hand just putting the pizza in the oven.

The pizzas cooked pretty quickly, maybe 2-3 minutes apiece. The only issue i had was the middle of the pizza being undercooked. Is there any way to fix that?

You can bake the crust for 2 or 3 minutes, then put the toppings on, then bake again.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wahad posted:

This sounds delicious to me and I want to try it. What kind of dates did you use?
I used Medjool dates that were Trader Joe's brand. I just pitted them, chopped them, and tossed them on! Have fun!

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Kathandrion posted:

I have never tried anything remotely like this dish in my life, but in my head the finished product seems awesome.
This does sound loving awesome. For the sauce, maybe a pub cheese spread made with some decent lager. Oh, and there would have to be sauerkraut.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

From the OP

Casu Marzu posted:

Today, I did a pizza dough that was raised overnight in the fridge. I found this to be a lot more workable when trying for that really thin pie, as well as having much more flavor.

I tried making that pizza last night, followed the directions as close as possible (used weights of everything instead of cups, tablespoons, etc.)

Anyways, after it had stayed in the fridge overnight, I took it out the next day and followed the directions. Couple questions.

1) How many pieces are you supposed to cut this into? The OP didn't specify, but given that you end up with 5" in diameter by about 1/2" thick, I was guessing four pizza crusts?

2) I made them into little disc and let them rest for 2 hours with a bit of olive oil and flour on top, covered with saran wrap. When I went to start making the pie, they were incredibly thin with zero effort on my part. When I scraped them off the counter top initially and put them on my knuckles, they were already spreading way too thin and I was done within 5 seconds, if that. Any more would have made the dough tear.

3) Also, I used a pizza sauce I found in this thread that worked great, and then I was using some balls of mozzarella. Huge mistake. WAY too much water came from the mozzarella which resulted in a pizza with lots of liquid coming out. How do I work around the moisture in the cheese? Do I press it like tofu first? Buy another kind of cheese?

So, the first pizza came out pretty well, but because it was so thin, it tore going from the peel to the stone (yes, corn flour was underneath), so it made a bit of mess on my stone. Honestly, this one turned out the best in terms of taste, it just didn't have enough toppings on it (couldn't put much on due to how thin it was).

The next pizza I tried combining two of the crusts. Huge mistake.. I was able to fit more on the pizza, but it wouldn't spread out well, perhaps I was too impatient to let it rest for 10 minutes so it would let me work with it more, but it came out WAY too thick.

The final pizza started tearing right away, so in an effort to fix that, it turned out to be a mess.

It still tasted great, but man...I guess I gotta keep working at it.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
The individual crusts in the OP pics are fairly small - if you want one bigger or thicker you're probably better off not splitting the dough ball in the first place, or only splitting it in half, etc.

By way of comparison, I use a recipe as per the following:

Flour (100%): 653.39 g | 23.05 oz | 1.44 lbs
Water (63%): 411.63 g | 14.52 oz | 0.91 lbs
IDY (.3%): 1.96 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.65 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
Salt (1.75%): 11.43 g | 0.4 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.38 tsp | 0.79 tbsp
Oil (1.75%): 11.43 g | 0.4 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.54 tsp | 0.85 tbsp
Sugar (2%): 13.07 g | 0.46 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.28 tsp | 1.09 tbsp
Total (168.8%): 1102.92 g | 38.9 oz | 2.43 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball: 551.46 g | 19.45 oz | 1.22 lbs

Which makes 2 551g balls, that the person I got the recipe from says should each stretch out to 16-inch NY-style pies. Of course, my stretching technique sucks and I sometimes end up with thick crust and an overly thin center, but you get the idea :)

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I finally managed to both work my dough the right amount and NOT kill my yeast! Some friends got me a food processor for the holidays, which makes dough way better than my terrible kneading, but the first time I made pizza dough with it, I used warm water and the full mix time indicated, killing my yeast and yielding a tasty but flat crust. On advice from here and elsewhere, I upped my hydration and chilled my sponge after an initial proof, got beautiful, perfect dough which, after an 8 hour cool rise, gave me this:

crumb shot:

so happy.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

wormil posted:

Anyone used granite or quartz countertop pieces for pizza stones? I googled it a bit and found something about Jamie Oliver recommending granite. Would be heavy though.

I know this was from forever ago, but how well would this work?

My uncle is doing his kitchen and has some MASSIVE off cuts coming. I can easily get a pizza stone (or 45) out of it. 30mm thick, too :D

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
I always figured higher hardness = more crackiness when heating/cooling quickly.

Just from a couple of ME courses in college, not any real knowledge.

Granite is wicked hard, no?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

People have used granite, there is just the danger of ancient hidden moisture pockets that will cause the granite to explode violently when heated, or so they say.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Part of why you want to use a quarry stone/unglazed ceramic is that it wicks away moisture as well. Granite doesn't do that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Isn't there also an issue with granite releasing Radon when heated to a certain point? A low enough point where having it in the oven would be a concern?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
ARRGGH. I was finally getting good at this, had managed my first successful toss, and on either pizza three or four of the night (they were small) my stone broke! We're moving in 3-4 months, so I'm just going to pick up unglazed quarry tiles as appropriate for whatever oven we have wherever we wind up, but drat, I was looking forward to at least a couple of spring pizza nights.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Buy a big terracotta pot bottom they cost like $5 and work great!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I used my new FibraMent baking stone for the first time tonight. I already had a decent stone, but it was round and I wanted something that used the rectangular oven space a little more efficiently. I was able to fit two individual-sized pizzas on the stone, and it worked great.

One word of warning: The directions for the stone speak of a slight off-odor that may be emitted the first time heating the stone. In reality, it's a strong, chemical glue-like odor that takes several hours at to dissipate. The hood fan didn't do much - you need open windows. After about 5-6 hours in a hot oven, though, the smell is gone.

650g AP flour (I used KA)
14g kosher salt
3g instant yeast
450g cool water

Mix together, knead, shape into a ball and put into an oiled/covered bowl. Set at room temp for 30 minutes, then refrigerate overnight. Divide dough balls into 6 pieces, brush with olive oil, let rest for 2 hours.

I shaped them by pressing from the center out (no pulling/tossing) on lightly-floured parchment. I brushed the edges with olive oil, trimmed the parchment, then parbaked for a few minutes, then topped and went back into the oven (minus the parchment) for another 4-5 minutes.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Here's some pizza's I made today, used the dough recipe from the op, but I added a bit of garlic powder and sugar since I didn't use instant yeast. they turned out really great. Cooked on my egg using a pizza stone. Precooked the crust for maybe 45 seconds, then added the toppings and back on the grill. the pies just don't want to slide off my peel if I don't pre cook.

standarish toppings ala supreme pizza

pepperoni and garlic onion chicken

olive oil base, spinach, garlic onion chicken and mushrooms

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Made another pizza, same dough as before. The crust on this was much closer to what I like, nice and thin, thanks to my new roller. Also got a new pizza blade to cut it, can't stand the normal pizza cutters, as I always just end up pushing all the toppings around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

niss posted:

Made another pizza, same dough as before. The crust on this was much closer to what I like, nice and thin, thanks to my new roller. Also got a new pizza blade to cut it, can't stand the normal pizza cutters, as I always just end up pushing all the toppings around.

I had that problem with standard pizza cutters and then I went the Ice Cream route and would slightly wet my pizza cutter with hot water and the toppings no longer ripped off my pizza.