Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
drat that looks good. I read the npr article about the new caputo nuvola flour a few weeks ago. Where did you end up buying it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I bought a baking steel and decided to try out some margherita pizzas this weekend. Did one batch with instant yeast and one batch with natural levain. I used the dough recipes from FWSY. I set the oven to 525F, then put the broiler on high for a few minutes to super heat the steel just before putting the pizza on. I used an IR thermometer and it said the steel was close to 700F under the broiler (though I’m not sure I completely believe it). I then switched back to bake at did 525F for 6 minutes and then finished it under broil for 2-3 minutes. Overall I’m pretty impressed with the baking steel, probably the closest I’ve had to true margherita pizza without a fire oven.

Here are some pics:

Cento anna napoleatana 00 flour with instant yeast:

Caputo 00 flour with natural levain:

Cento anna napoleatana 00 flour with natural levain:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

You could try focaccia but that’s sort of in the same family. Might be best just to freeze and save it for later. Just let it thaw for a 10-12 hours in fridge before you use it. Might need to take it out and let it thaw for 30-60 min at room temp too depending on your fridge temp.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I’ve had the opposite problem where if I let it get too warm it starts to tear, lol. There is probably a bit of a balance but I’m not sure where it is.

In FWSY, Forkish recommends for the levain pizza dough to refrigerate for 30 min after coming to RT for an hour.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Cursedpizzas.jpg

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Malefitz posted:

Wow, looking at your guy's Pizzas I think I need to step up my Pizza game.
Seriously I was in (northern) Italy last week and I only found one Pizzeria which sold proper Neapolitanian style Pizza and could compete with the looks of your Pizzas. I'm impressed!

Here is a Margherita I made a few weeks ago.

San Marzano Tomatoes
Mozzarella di Bufala
Basil
Garlic
EVO

This is two days ago.

San Marzano Tomatoes
Fior di Latte (cheap one unfortunately)
Milanese Beef Salame
Pickeled Artichokes
Basil
Garlic
EVO

My dough recipe is:
100% flour (Caputo Tipo 00, 125g per Pizza currently)
64% Water (I used to do 70% but switched to 64% lately since 70% dough is a pain in the rear end to handle)
3% Salt
0.4-0.8% Fresh Yeast
24h - 48h refrigerated

I own a Pizza steel and let it preheat to 250°C for 45 minutes. I bake the Pizza 5-6 minutes and then 1-1.5 minutes using the broiler function.

Any tips or recommendations? I know my Pizza could use a bit more browning, I guess I need to give a bit more time with the broiler function...

This is pretty close to what I do for a pizza steel in an oven. Sometimes I go for 2-3 minutes with the broiler, depends on how wet my cheese/sauce/toppings are. Bit of a guessing game you just kinda have to keep an eye on it and not overdo it so the crust turns black. A tip I learned from FWSY is you can use the broiler for 5-10 minutes before putting the pizza on to super heat the steel to 650F degrees or higher (as checked with laser thermometer). I think it helps? Sometimes it can make my smoke alarm go off is there is some residual oil or flour left on from previous bakes I forgot to scrape off the steel.

The pizzas look pretty darn tasty. I might make some dough tonight now using your recipe.

Here is one of mine I did recently. I love pepperoni and banana peppers on pizza.

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 16, 2020

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

For that one I think I used the Costco mozzarella logs and broke it up into manageable pieces. I switch back and forth between fresh mozzarella and just drier shredded mozzarella. Fresh definitely makes the cooking a bit dicier in the oven cause of how wet it is. Sometimes it’s tough to get the center dough to bake through without scorching the crust a ton.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

:eyepop:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Buy a wooden peel. Also I like to jiggle mine every step of the way (sauce, cheese, toppings) to make sure it's still good.

Yea this is key. If any part of the sauce or any other wet component gets between the bottom of the pizza and the peel it will stick. You gotta check and jiggle a bit every step of the way. If it does get stuck I like to lift the pie up to with a dough scraper to unstick it and slip a bit of flour right where it was stuck to absorb the moisture.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Depends on if it fermented at all at room temp. Might not be as bubbly and flavor profile might not be the same but it’s probably still fine to use. Did it double in size?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Yea I would just use it then if you want to make pizza tonight. It seems like whenever I do a cold ferment it can be odd to shape it right out of the fridge so see how it feels and maybe let it warm up a bit before shaping into the pie. If it’s stiff when you shape it and springs back give it a rest for 10-15 min and try again.

Here is a pizza I made the other day using 4hr room temp ferment and cold ferment for 3 days:

On another note I think I’m going to stop using the broiler set to high for the final 2-3 min of baking. Using the broiler on low seems to get the same crispness without burning the crust and toppings as much.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Hell yea looks good I’m gonna make some more pizza tomorrow

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Hell yea looks good

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Is there a consensus on best/cheapest Detroit style pizza pan? Looking at stuff on amazon and they all kind of look the same

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Sweet thanks!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I used to let it ferment for a few hours after mixing but didn’t do it when I made pizza dough this week and I think it turned out better honestly. Mix it up, form into a loose ball, put it into individual containers and shove it in the fridge. Form into ball after you take them out and let them rise for an hour or two. Then form the pizza crust, top, and bake.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

The 10x14 Lloyd Detroit style pizza pan is on sale for 5$ off on Amazon today. https://www.amazon.com/LloydPans-Kitchenware-Detroit-Pre-Seasoned-Resistant/dp/B01FY5PHIK

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Congrats. Keep posting pics of pizza. Wanna see the first pie you sell.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Keep that in the bad pizza thread

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Consider quick pickling red onions

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I made pizza using the NYT Roberta’s dough last weekend and I really liked it. It’s half 00 and half AP flour. Also will always use parchment paper going forward instead of just flour and pizza peel. Much easier to launch and stretch. Spray a bit of water on both sides of the paper so that it sticks to the surface and so that the dough doesn’t shrink on the paper.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Need a good focaccia recipe. Anyone have any suggestions?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I will give one of those a shot this week. I mostly just phone it in for focaccia with extra pizza dough and the result is always a bit lacking so it will be good to try something specific.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Ended up doing the samin nosrat focaccia and it’s pretty good. Easy, good flavor, lots of salt and olive oil, big portion. The second time I tried it I added some sun dried tomatoes but lol they all burnt by the time the baking was done. I guess people use fresh tomatoes for focaccia huh.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I think either should be fine. I’ve used broken up mozzarella string cheese sticks before as a brick cheese replacement and it’s fine. Just use lots of cheese in general and it will turn out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Hell yea congrats