Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Made dough yesterday and slapped out some quick pan pizzas tonight. One pepperoni, brick cheese, and sort of NY style lazy uncooked sauce from a can of san marzano. Was beautifully poofy and wonderful and cuppy. The other is leftover smoked pork shoulder, red onion, bbq sauce, mozz, and the obvious green onion and half-jalapeno. It was midwest-sweet and sticky and smoky and perfect. I was running out of time and understretched (and underproofed) the dough, but that just led to more cheese crisp on the edges because it didn't fill the pan perfectly. 10/10, will pizza again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I had a pizza steel forever ago but it was a smallish 1/4" and I (somehow) lost it in a move. Been pining for shaking some pizza off a peel, so I got a piece of 3/8" thick 16x18 steel ($40!), stripped off the mill scale with a little hydrochloric acid and cleaned up the edges. Seasoned up, slapped some dough on it.

Made 4 pizzas in 2 days, all more or less NY style. I could use more heat from the top faster, but I'm pretty happy with the underside.

Also made a tomato pie/apizza sorta thing, which was nice.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Poofy chewy cuppy goodness

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Made more of this chewy poof

Needed to get onto a pizza screen or something for the last ~30 seconds, but it's okay. I made another 3/8" pizza steel and I'm using it on the rack directly above my other steel and it makes a significant difference. Way more radiant heat on the top of the pizza, and I can still stay in the center of the oven inline with the convection fan.

I used different mozzarella this time, which was a little stretchier and less flavorful/less fatty than my previous. Still whole milk, but not as good as the giant GFS block. I can't use the giant GFS block fast enough to keep it from getting comically moldy though.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 28, 2023

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

I don't know what GFS is, but I chunk my giant blocks of whole milk mozz and freeze them. If it does something to the texture, I haven't noticed.

Also that's impressively poofy! Recipe and/or details?

I never was sure if that's a national chain. Gordon Food Service, it's a sort of consumer-facing restaurant supply store. They've got a 5lb block of whole milk/low moisture mozzarella and they're one of the only drat places I can even find it. Every grocery store deli, several actual delis. It's a wasteland out there.
For some reason I had it in my head that mozzarella doesn't freeze well. That simplifies my life greatly if I can just chunk it in half and freeze it.

280g water
30g olive oil
5g instant dry yeast
25g sugar
12g salt
430g flour (I used bread this time, but I've done it with AP and sometimes slightly less water)
Makes 2 balls, ~14" pizzas

Stand mixer, 30m rest and a couple stretch and folds, bulked 80% and then balled and into oiled containers, fridged. This one today was only in for about 8 hours. I let it warm up for about an hour and a half and used a bunch of cornmeal on the peel.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 28, 2023

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Made some NY style dough, only had 175g of bread flour left and used AP for the remaining. Mixed it longer than I generally do (and gave it a 15m rest in the middle). Let it ferment to 80%, balled, fridge for 3 days. Turned out super stretchy and bouncy and just generally the nicest feeling dough I've ever made.

Pulled out one of the two balls tonight and did a plain old slice pie. I didn't handle it too well and didn't get a perfect crust as a result, but man that feels just like a sloppy crispy oily New Jersey/NY pizza should. I'd love another 100 degrees in this oven but I can work with this sort of result for apartment-pizza.

https://i.imgur.com/22VVAqm.mp4

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah those grease puddles are very spot on. What heat are you hitting right now? It seems pretty good as it stands and I'd be surprised if you're carrying that just conventionally. I guess a hotter oven would let you get more leoparding, but there are plenty of places that have a top that looks just like that.

Oven is maxed out at 550 (and I adjusted it hotter with a calibration setting). It fluctuates between 530 and 565 after about an hour of preheat. Convection, and gas oven.

I mostly want more heat from the top/sides. I've been getting the bottom finished in about 5 minutes, and then transferring onto a pizza screen to finish the top (the crust/cornicione/whatever). It stays pretty blonde for a long time, and by the end of a 8-9 minute bake the cheese is a little more broken than I'd like. It still feels style-appropriate to a degree, but the temptation to buy a single deck electric pizza oven is very strong. Or an Ooni Koda/Karu 16.

I've tried a lot of positions for the steel, and the dead center of the oven inline with the convection fan has been the best so far. Lower placement cooks the bottom *very* fast, upper placement doesn't cook the top very fast, but it cooks much slower. If it was an electric oven I'd be using the broiler after a few minutes of cooking, but I've had bad luck with that technique on gas.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Upper placement does not cook the top very fast? I want to verify that.

If I have a wood-fired oven that's cooling down and I don't want to feed it any more, I would finish the top by lifting the pizza up to the roof of the oven on the long peel for 10-30 seconds and get everything I needed for it. So I would figure moving to the top after a base bake would take care of business.

Strangely enough, yeah. In my current and previous oven (both of which only run the bottom element/burner) that seems to be the case. I think the pizza steel down low gets all the convection and some bonus radiant heat. When I use a steel very near the top, the whole thing cooks noticeably slower.

My solution has been to use the center of the oven (which is also directly inline with the convection fan), and if the bottom is done before the rest, I put it on a screen and put it on the rack directly underneath the steel to get as much radiant heat off of it as possible.

I think pizza in regular ovens is a game of finding what works and mitigating quirks of the particular oven you've got, though. If I had an electric oven I'd 100% be using those lovely large super even heating broiler elements to help with the top, but gas stoves and the single burner doesn't do the trick for me.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

dizzywhip posted:

I use the long 4x12" Lloyd pans, which I think make for a good serving size for 1-2 people, and I can fit two in the oven if I want to double up. I imagine the narrow pan is also better for getting an even cook in the super hot ooni. More crispy edges too.

:stwoon:

Well those are amazing and I just ordered 2 of them. What a beautiful pizza shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've done that a few times with my oven cleaning cycle. Cleaning, and also warping :v:

Related, the temptation to break the latch and use the cleaning cycle for pizza is... strong. I'm not going to do it, but I'm tempted every time.