Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What would constitute a real life good Taco pizza. I'm craving one from my childhood but google recipes all use poo poo like straight salsa as the sauce.

Preferably with a new york style crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Thin, crispy, leavened crust. Generally round, and always cut into squares (that's called tavern or party cut). Most prominent in Chicago, Milwaukee, and around the midwest. It's good stuff.
A more generic is http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...zza-recipe.html

I have not tried the posted method or recipe.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm going to be making a vodka sauce pizza next week, super stoked.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Make a batch, put it in the fridge for a day or two, freeze and put them back in the fridge the morning of pizza.

If you are looking for instant gratification use a rolling pin and play with the hydration?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Le0 posted:

Saturday I'm doing a little party and I wanted to make a big batch of dough and then make pizza.
What's the best way to do that? I was going to do twice the quantity I do usually the evening before then let it sit in the fridge. Would that work, or can I directly partition into single pizza balls?
I usually mix > form a ball > let it sit for 15 > split into individual balls and place in quart bags for the fridge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Le0 posted:

Is there a lot of difference between a baking steel and stone?
Depends on the stone, but generally yes. Serious eats did a comparison.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've been tasked with making a mac and cheese pizza today. Right now my thought process is to make a cheddar/motz/parm cheese sauce using sodium citrate and just top a dough with that, some noodles and chorizo.

Good or bad idea? The other option would be to make a thinner cheddar mac and cheese, do an oil and garlic sauce and have the mac and cheese be just a topping with regular motz/parm.

I am going to cook it in a cast iron pan rather than deal with a probably super heavy pizza and a peel/steel.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Should have taken a picture, I did the citrate cheese sauce with mac and chorizo and topped the pizza in bread crumbs, cooked for about 14 minutes at 600. Amazing browning on the top and nice crunchy, but a bit overdone, dough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I find with my steel, if I do parchment, I end up having to cook the pie for an extra minute and get a little less spring in the crust.

Major reason for this, is that I do the last 15 minutes of preheat with the broiler cranked up to superheat the top of the steel. Last time I tried this with a poorly trimmed parchment, I started a manageable fire.

I use two peels, one wood to place the pie using cornmeal and a steel to pull it.

pisshead posted:

A couple of quick questions:
1. If the dough is goign all cobwebby when I roll it out/handle it, what have I done wrong?
2. When rolled out and in the tray, should I leave it before putting toppings on and cooking it?
1) What's your dough hydration % and what method are you using to kneed it/rest? I had a similar issue when I made a batch of 66% hydration (what I always use), but I let it sit for a 20 minute autolyse without the flour and water completely incorporated. You probably just need to kneed more or let it rest post kneading. I also don't use a rolling pin, but if you are trying to roll without punching and stretching a bit with your fingers, I could see this happening.

2) After you form the dough there's no reason to let it sit again, you'll just potentially get bubbles.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

80% seems high and 12 minutes at 550 seems long. I suspect you're getting something closer to a bread crust. I don't know if you live in the desert or something, but first drop the hydration and cook until the crust looks done (some black).

/e- You could probably drop temp and get a less dried crust, it really depends on the type of pizza you are going for and would be more appropriate for a pan style imo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should have an oven thermometer or an IR thermometer, yes. It will also depend on the stone, when I had a cheap as hell stone in an oven at 600 degrees, it took my pies about 8 minutes to cook, 4-5 on a steel at the same temp.

Some baking gurus can answer better, but in my understanding, the higher the hydration the more chewy and larger/denser crust a bread can develop because of magic. You want a relatively high hydration in a pizza dough to stretch it out and to get a chewy crust, but not high enough to make a large/dense crust. If you've found you need 80% to have the chewy factor but don't add any olive oil to your crust, try that.

I think dropping the hydration will also make it brown faster, but I don't know the science behind baking.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you allow it to over-poof you'll need to use more flour to keep it from sticking.

/e- I usually dust the top of the pie before I stretch it, use that for the bottom, don't flour the once bottom unless it sticks to my hands and use a tiny bit of cornmeal with no issues. I don't get a cornmeal taste either or burnt flakes. If you do, you're using way too much.

^^ Could have also not preheated enough.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 4, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Newbie here.

Am I supposed to form the pizza directly on the peel, then slide it onto the stone? I assume I'll need a bit of flour or something to keep it from sticking.
If I"m reading this right, you should form the dough on the counter, place on the peel, top the dough on the peel, then slide on the stone. If you're going with a pan pizza you can form in the pan.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's sorta hard to gently caress up. You can't really go wrong with a lightly seasoned raw sauce, but you can't really get a super strong saucy pizza from it.

If you cook it, I'll third the anchovy or anchovy paste and personally will only sweeten with tomato paste rather than sugar. I don't think there's anything wrong with a "marinara on cheese sticks" because it's loving good. Cooked will also let you do fun things like add some adobe peppers or their sauce. I also like to halve an onion, removing it after cooking with butter similar to http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/01/tomato-sauce-with-butter-and-onions/ but with oregano and garlic and whatnot.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

angor posted:

Finally have a chance to try out my new stone!

I looked up a million recipes and couldn't decide on one, so I kinda just...smashed them all together. I used a strong bread flour and decided to include oil and sugar (Neapolitan recipes didn't call for it, others did). Kneaded for 20 min, rested a bit, then kneaded for another 30 min. It still didn't windowpane completely, but it got fairly bouncy and I figure it'll develop further while it rises. And my arms are falling off
Planning on a 29-30hr rise in the fridge.

Please tell me I haven't hosed this up:
pre:
Flour      1159g - 100%
Water      730g  - 62.99%
Yeast      17g   - 1.47%
Salt       30g   - 2.59%
Olive Oil  24g   - 2.07%
Sugar      17g   - 1.47%
I like water at at least 66%, but I don't know your humidity or any of that. If you're doing an overnight you don't need to kneed it twice; you can do a no kneed overnight covered outside of the fridge, and I don't think a day and change in the fridge will give you the nice sour taste of an aged dough. That's easily enough for 6 pies though, try them out after 1, 2, 3, 4 days or 0 with your the double kneed an another hour resting.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't think you should need to do that with a pizza dough, I guess try it out for fun but if you can't stretch it there's another issue. Kettle, what's the recipe you're using?

Also pizza dough is pretty much the easiest dough to make, don't be intimidated and it can be used for calzones and other fun stuff.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Look for a friend or a friend of a friend who just has access to a shop, not necessarily a metal only shop. In my case, I saved a whopping 20 bucks but I was also able to get it a 3/8" 16x16 of stainless.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you have a steel just put that above the stone with your regular grate and let that radiate heat down. It should get hotter than the stone as long as your coals are not concentrated right under the stone.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Put your old grate on top and use bricks or your steel protected by some foil (to avoid soot) to act as a top radiator. They sell a fitted steel as well.

Actually dunno about the foil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Top rack allows better cooking from the radiant heat on the top regardless of broiler. Doubt that's your issue though as I have no idea what your symbol is. My best guess is that it isn't "hottest" as that'd be a really dumb thing to have as a symbol for hottest. Are you using a toaster oven?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

From the picture above, you're good to preheat on your selected. The straight line signify baking heat (element on until x degrees) while the squiggles are broiler which will be on until the oven's max broil temp. About 5-10 minutes before putting in the pie, I'd change to the bottom right option to get an extra blast with the broiler on. The fan just turns on convection, which will not help the bottom crust.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There was a goon project thread about steels that had all the info regarding the different types of stainless you may need.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Home pizza cooking, no broiler activation (mine shuts off automatically if the oven is at 550), what's the consensus: pizza at top of oven or bottom?

I tend to not have any problems getting the bottom to cook because I have a steel but usually end up waiting awhile (10 mins or so cook time) for the pizza to actually brown on top and sometimes the cheese burns or whatever in the meantime. Obviously I'd like the whole thing to cook as fast as possible I think?

I used to pull it out after 4-5 mins but my wife says that she got raw dough one time and that I need to cook it a lot longer so I dunno, I mean maybe ~the truth is somewhere in the middle~ but she likes me to cook them the full 9-10 mins til it's like literally brown on top of the crust and I feel like the interior crust is pretty dried out by then
it's always pizza top; the radiation from the top of the oven, even ignoring the broiler, is needed. You'll have to trick your oven with by cracking it open with a spoon or something to keep the broiler on with a long enough preheat that you won't be too negatively impacted.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah, if you don't prebroil the steel the bottom is cooking at 550 while the top is hitting 800+ broiler.

You could go just oven/ convection and live with a longer cooking time if you want lesser pie.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No, there is a difference between using the cast iron like a pan vs a stone.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If there wasn't still oil on the pan when you removed it, you may want to use more oil

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Add .jpg to the link

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

as bad as it is for #1 it may just be watered down paste with salt or crushed tomatoes with seasoning

2) Nothing special, garlic salt sprinkled on top (i swear thats the secret to my childhood fav pizza spot) but a good bit of it (cheese).

3) generic dough with EVOO i.e. kenji's NY dough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With a no kneed you combine all ingredients, mix until they are fully incorporated and do nothing else for a day and you're done.

For pizza dough I like to put forth some effort and make say 5 doughs at a time by making a dough with a kilo of flour (whatever percentages you use otherwise does not matter,) mixing it like a no kneed and letting it sit for an hour, kneeling it by hand for about 5 minutes, then put into qt deli containers to freeze or fridge if using within the week

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can use a food processor to kneed a pizza dough as well. If you have a decent sized one

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have an 18X18 one and it does hurt oven circulation a bit so be cautious of that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cr0y posted:

What size oven do you have? Just a normal one? Im thinking about going down to 16x16x.5 for sanity reasons and since its just usually me and my girlfriend. I wasnt sure if 18" deep would fit, gotta go home and measure...
I think normal. I did have a small oven in my last apt and the steel was the size of a shelf and was unable to be used :negative:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

3 racks, 6 quarter sheets?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Maybe if you parcook before the party to shorten times, but I think you'll be hurting for heat retention opening and closing so often with 3 different surfaces. When I do a cast iron pizza, cook at 500-550 depending on toppings for up to 18 minutes or so and I need to oil the pan (no pan preheat), but it's good and may be preferred by some.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh, that was for the toaster oven.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the stone is not 450 when the oven hits 450. More preheat time and you can also preheat to 500 or 550 and drop the temp once you put the pizza on. You can also use the broiler to get the stone surface to > preheat temps. Lower the shelf so there's less radiating heat from the top of the oven. Need more details otherwise, I'd only be using your time and temp for a pan pizza (cold cast iron with oil on the bottom placed on hot stone) and even then hotter is imo better.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 16, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

550 for stone imo. If you do that make your next one with a middle shelf and adjust as needed. Mine is on the top but I have a steel

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Where do you find these large bricks of whole milk?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's very good for pitas or naan or really anything you could flat top in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

250 lbs is only about a year of pizza