Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
So, speaking of pizza, I'm looking at the ooni 12" wood or gas fired oven. This one

It isn't pro level but it seems like it will get me where I want without a 3 hour drive to Vegas for ogopogopie. I trust goon opinions more than "top 20 pizza ovens" from Papa John's Pizza Oven Reviews and figured I'd ask before pulling the trigger. This one makes 12" pizzas and it doubles in price if you go to the 16", which I might be tempted to get if I love this one enough (and give it to my mom who has always wanted an outdoor pizza oven).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bengy81 posted:

I've had pizza out of an Ooni, never used it, but I just bought a Gozney roccbox, which is the same size oven. I was impressed with the pizza from the Ooni, and I've been impressed with the pizza out of my Roccbox. There is a food guy who comes to my neighborhood and sets up with a couple of Ooni's. He will sell 60 pizzas in about two hours (at 15 bux a pop) and I think its as good as anything you would get from a restaurant around here. We have 6 people in our household and 10-12 inch pies has been enough, so far at least, not sure when I would want to cook 16" pies, might be nice for making flatbreads though.

I agree, I won't know if the 16" would ever be worth it until after using the 12" for a minute to make a dozen pies or so. I was looking at the roccboxes, too! Any reason you went for that instead? Shape? Build quality? Just thought it looked better?

VVVV

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're thinking about 16" pies then there's some other considerations that should give you pause:

1. A 16" pie has roughly 1.7 times the surface area so you're nearly doubling the dough you're handling at once. That includes all the stretching and fussing over it where it could stuck somewhere and just go wrong.
2. A 16" pie is getting around the width of a pizza peel, which makes staging it on the peel a much more demanding challenge. Generally when I'm pulling for a 16" pizza, I really have to contend with how the pizza snaps back and how round it is. It has to be fairly precisely circular since I'm hugging close to the edge on the front, left, and right sides. The dough wants to snap back so I have to pull a little further and place it in a way that it contracts properly in place. If a little is off of the peel, there's a game I have to play where I have to shuffle the pizza on and then deal with the fallout of my dusting getting disheveled; something now wants to stick.

#2 and #1 kind of play into each other. If I just had a 12" peel and was making 12" pizzas, I'd have to deal with that precision somewhat, but it's an easier, lighter doughball, and the consequences are lower if I have to give up and fling it over the fence or whatever.

Totally! The 16" option would only come into play AFTER I buy and try out the 12" and if I decide the 12" is not enough, which I'm pretty sure it would be. The difficulty level increases a lot going from 12 to 16 and it would likely feel like a waste when my wife and I just make 10-12" pizzas 95% of the time.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 26, 2022

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Helluva posted:

Can you still service people with a thing like that in the restaurant?

It is even easier like this. You just cut a hole in the lower half and you can service everyone that stops by!