Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Here's some pizza's I made today, used the dough recipe from the op, but I added a bit of garlic powder and sugar since I didn't use instant yeast. they turned out really great. Cooked on my egg using a pizza stone. Precooked the crust for maybe 45 seconds, then added the toppings and back on the grill. the pies just don't want to slide off my peel if I don't pre cook.

standarish toppings ala supreme pizza

pepperoni and garlic onion chicken

olive oil base, spinach, garlic onion chicken and mushrooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Made another pizza, same dough as before. The crust on this was much closer to what I like, nice and thin, thanks to my new roller. Also got a new pizza blade to cut it, can't stand the normal pizza cutters, as I always just end up pushing all the toppings around.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I was having bad problems with my pizza's sticking to my peel. So I tried the suggestion of lifting a corner of the pie and blowing under it. I'll be damned it that poo poo didn't work amazingly well. Used that method on my last 4 pizzas and all slid off perfectly.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

BraveUlysses posted:

I love making pizza on my big green egg! 1000+ degrees cooks them in no time at all

Yes it does, it also destroys the gasket that much quicker, and scraping the old one is a bitch :suicide:

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

BraveUlysses posted:

Troof...mine needs to be replaced. I'm planning on trying a nomex one this time, have you used one?

http://www.amazon.com/Nomex-Gasket-Adhesive-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004MNW1TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333135177&sr=8-1

This is the one I used, installation was really easy, but like I said getting the old one off was a bitch. Just make sure to take everything apart. I used a towel and placed the top lid inside the bottom so I could easily put the gasket on the top lid.

Also, make sure to crank the bands back really really tight. I had a bit of a scare after a few high temp cooks, and almost lost the top mid cook.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
That pizza looks amazing, and tasty.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Cooked some pizzas for dinner tonight. Feel like I am getting better at it, these were my best crusts to date, thin and crispy. Put a bit of whole wheat flour in the mix.

niss fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 13, 2012

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

a lovely poster posted:

Honestly it's a pretty good time and there are much worse ways to spend time than throwing out pizzas for 5-10 hours a week.

Two of the best min wage jobs I had were working at pizza places. Upside is free pizza as well. Although I have managed to forget all I knew about tossing pie, cause I used to be really good at it and now I am horrible :(

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

lifts cats over head posted:

Anybody have tips on freezing and storing their dough? I've been slightly flattening the dough (approximately 1" thick) then covering in flour and wrapping in wax paper before freezing. It works OK but occasionally the dough will stick to the paper and I end up losing chunks. Anybody have a better method?

When I froze my dough the last time, I just made sure it was slightly oily, then wrapped it in saran wrap. They thawed a lot quicker than I would have thought, didn't have any issues unwrapping the dough and as far as I could tell no ill effects from being frozen.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
That looks extremely tasty

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So i am really trying to conquer making pizzas on my big green egg, and I am really struggling. Everything I read and all the videos I have watched seem to contradict my results. The ideal temp seems to be about 650-700 at least for cooking on an egg. I've been previously cooking at lower temps than that but am struggling with burning the bottom of the pie before the top and the crust has any color at all and isn't doughy feeling still. It seems like the trick is I need to get the top to cook faster than the bottom so I can pull it from the grill when the crust is ideal. I am just not sure what to do to cook it hotter and not burn the bottom crust even faster.

The pizza pictured below was what I thought was my best attempt of the weekend, still managed to burn the bottom, though at the time I was cooking it I thought it looked good, guess the lighting was bad and couldn't tell how done it was getting. For that attempt I used a air gap between my plate setter and the pizza stone. I also let my grill get up to about 500 with the plate setter in, before adding the pizza stone. I then waited about 15-20 mins to let the stone start coming up to temp. The drawback I had with this attempt was I was running low on lump, so I was forced to use the crap at the bottom of the bag and it choked my airflow and I was only able to get back to 450'ish once I put the stone and the pizza on.

I do need to get a IR thermometer, been meaning to get one for a while now, but that can't be the only thing holding me back.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

BraveUlysses posted:

I gave up on getting consistent pizzas on the BGE--just not worth the effort. Have you had a pie accidentally fall in the fire yet? It's a great way to completely ruin your day.

Ouch, no haven't come close to that happening yet. Would I be better served trying to do pizzas in my weber kettle. I know it can get pretty drat hot, as I can barely grab the handle on the lid when I decide its time to do my "purge it with fire" method of cleaning.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

BraveUlysses posted:

The KettlePizza thing looks pretty sweet, especially when paired with a baking steel, but if you already have a BGE I would have a hard time justifying spending even more money.

yeah.. I don't want to spend anymore money. I just meant using my kettle. I don't want to buy that kettle pizza thing. I just am really frustrated not being able to make a decent pizza. its even more frustrating when I've worked at like 3 different pizza places during my youth. I feel like I should have this poo poo down. :(

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Thanks for the suggestion guys.. Ill try them out and see what kind of results I can get. :)

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Okay Pizza Weekend update. I was pretty excited to try out the suggestions to see if they helped and it was difficult to wait until sunday afternoon to make pizza, but the wife wanted steaks on saturday. The dough turned out well, no thin spots or rips and I got it quite a bit thinner and split the same volume from 3 dough balls into 4.

So I let the egg open for the suggested 20 or so minutes, then put the plate setter and stone in while I got the first pizza ready. I just did a plain cheese for the first pie as I usually screw that one up, and I needed to have 3 good ones. Well the first one came out perfect pretty much, see pic below, and I was super happy. The dome temps were reading about 600.

I made my pizza next as I was still waiting on some mushrooms for the wifes, it took about 5 maybe 8 minutes before I got my pizza on the egg. About 3 minutes later I started smelling something burning. I looked under the pie and sure enough the bottom was burnt to poo poo. I didn't even bother to let it finish cooking all the way, since it was ruined. So I took the stone out for what was about 10 mins while I got the third pizza ready, put the stone back in and put the pizza on it. I guess in that 10 minutes the stone cooled off way more than I had assumed it would. The Pizza came out okay, the wife liked it, but I was not happy with the results. It lacked color, and wasn't as crispy as it should have been when cutting it. I left the stone in for the 4th pie and it turned out basically like the 3rd, but with a bit better color.

It would seem that my stone is really heating and cooling way way to fast. I don't know if I just need some more thermal mass in there. Towards the 4th pizza my charcoal was getting a bit used up as the temps had dropped to under 500. I didn't bother to take pics of the other pizzas, as I was just more concerned with getting something edible for the wife and daughter for dinner.

I did some more looking around and someone suggested using parchment paper, but leaving it under the pizza the whole time and that should keep the chance of it burning down some. At this point I'm willing to try it, I'm also thinking I should stack some fire bricks on my plate setter, one to add some more thermal mass and two to get the stone closer to the lid, maybe get a bit more heat reflecting down. I also thought about somehow lining the lid in a few layers of heavy duty tin foil, but that could be trick to execute, and might not provide any added benefit.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

The Midniter posted:

At least that first pizza looks awesome! Not to mention you could chuck that sucker into a rotary engine and it'd fit like a glove. Good job!

Haha, thanks. I guess its fitting as I used to own 4 RX7's a few years back.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Okay.. So I decided to give it another go this evening. Both pizzas turned out really well. I decided to dial my temps down to 400 or so. I let everything stabilize for about 30 mins and then put the pizzas on. On the second one, I ended up throwing a spare grate on top of the pizza stone for the last 2-3 mins as the bottom looked done but I wanted the top to cook a bit longer (spinach and tomato one)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)
for whatever reason my setup just needs a lower temp to turn out a decent pie..

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
That looks hella tasty :)

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I ran across this a few years back, Little Black Egg Pizza Has anyone in here built one of these, if so what did you think of it. I've already got like 85% of the required items to make one, just curious if its worth it to hack up my spare weber.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I have started trying out making pizzas using my cast iron with a no knead dough. Been happy with the results so far, have been very consistent. This has been my wife favorite pizza combo, garlic cream sauce, spinach, mushrooms and grilled chicken.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Bob Morales posted:

I bet that smells incredible and I would eat the gently caress out of it. Recipe?

Here is the no knead dough recipe I have been using.. link
400 grams (14 ounces, about 2 1/2 cups) bread flour
10 grams (.35 ounces, about 2 teaspoons) kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
4 grams (.15 ounces, about 1/2 teaspoon) instant yeast
275 grams (9.5 ounces, about 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons) water
8 grams (.25 ounces, about 2 teaspoons) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to coat pans and drizzle
I also add just a tiny amount of agave syrup to the mixture as well, probably about 1 tsp

I let it rise in my oven for about a day before I use it.

for the sauce, its heavy cream, butter, grated parmesan cheese, and garlic. I've also started using real mozzarella for the cheese vs the shredded bagged stuff.

niss fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 26, 2014

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Well another pizza night, decided to try doing a stuffed crust pizza since my daughter loves them. I used that string cheese for the filling, but I ended up cutting it in half, mainly since I was short on that type of cheese, thought I had more originally. I think next time I would use the whole stick. I didn't get any side shots cause I ended up having to let it sit for a bit to cool before I even attempted to cut it, put to many pepperonis on it. Pretty pleased with it for my first attempt, though I think I could have let it cook a bit longer, but it was a big hit with the family.

I used my smaller lodge 10" griddle instead of my larger 14" lodge pizza pan since I was making slightly smaller pizzas. The small lip on these was really helpful in getting the cheese to form in a circle.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Made Kenji's cast iron skillet tortilla pizza at 2 am tonight. Everyone should make this pizza holy crap. Ridiculous pay off for such little effort. Use less sauce than you think you need. This is also a fantastic pizza to make for parties, since once the skillet and broiler are hot, it takes like 5-6 minutes per pizza start to finish. You can whip these things out.

That looks really good, I do love some thin crust pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Is that the Jumbo Joe, or the smaller original Smokey Joe?