Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
Hi everyone! I'm gonna attempt this this coming weekend because I've had homemade pizza before and it is delicious and all of these pizzas look so god drat good. Also I want to to build street cred.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind indulging me and my terribleness.

1. What is the best kind of cheese to use? I hear that reduced fat cheese isn't that good to use because it lacks that stretch that you get when you bite into a pizza. Can i use regular block cheese cut into squares? I also hear fresh mozzarella balls are good?

2. Do you guys pre cook your ingredients? So that you can avoid perfect crust and undercooked ingredients/ burned crust and well-done ingredients. I suppose this question can be linked to the temperature of the oven. It seems like all the ingredients are basically raw.

3. Speaking of which, What temperature do you guys cook your pizzas at? 450-900 seems to be good with higher being better. My oven goes to 550 max which seems sufficient by FogHelmut's delicious looking pizza.

I promise to post pics when its done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the reply! Okay I think i have a good foundation of knowledge for a mediocre pizza! I'm ready! for the weekend!

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

Helpful vegetable tips!

Thanks for the vegetable tips! Probably saved me from ruining parts of my pizza.

FogHelmut posted:

Thanks for the compliment. Fresh mozz is great, but I like a lot of cheese, so I go with part-skim mozzarella since it usually has a lower moisture content. I get puddles in my pizza if I use too much fresh, and while you can do things to take a lot of that moisture out pre-cooking, I am lazy

Ahhh thanks! That would have been close I had intended on using all fresh mozz. Time to switch it up or just go light on the fresh mozz and more on other cheeses.

Look for pics on Sunday or Saturday!

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
I DID IT! kind of! First pizza decently successful by my standards at least.

Here is my first crappy dough flat! Don't judge me!

Toppings! Fresh mozz, shredded mozz, Turkey Pepperoni, Chicken apple sausage, and muenster cheese

first pizzar

Done?

Terrible crumb shot Picture quality and crumb quality

Another pizza. Half all cheese and Half all fresh Mozz

Another Pizza

Then I got lazy so we made weird shapes.

I would love additional tips. My crust while tasty seemed to be a bit flat. Any tips on how to remedy this? I let it rise overnight but loosely covered. I let the dough also rest a bit after I had put the toppings on it.

Also any tips on how to get a bit more color on the crust? Should I brush it with butter or something?

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
Ah I did roll my dough with a pin! It makes sense that would make it rather flat. I shall use my hands next time. I was using my hands but I think my technique is super terrible so I shall do better next time!

I had planned on cooking it longer but I had some burn marks on the buttom of my crust and I was afraid that if I had left it on much longer I would get a burned crust. I shall try my oven next time! I don't think the kettle gives me a consistent burn as well as I would like.

Oh well even mistakes are tasty!

Edit: Also thanks for the advice!

ObesePriest fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 17, 2012