Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Any suggestions on a pizza peel brand / label?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

The reason cast iron pizza works is the pan acts as a pizza stone, you need to get the pan rippin hot either on the stove or oven before dough touches it.

Anecdotal, I guess, but I have taken to cooking mine in a ten inch cast iron without preheating and they turn out pretty well. I stopped experimenting with preheating after I burned a crust bottom without the pizza getting totally finished, but obviously YMMV.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

blacquethoven posted:

double decker pie

cheesy garlic bread pizza topped with a pepperoni pizza

I feel like I should be disgusted by how much I want to eat that, but I still really want to eat that.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Bear with me, trial posting a pizza pic:

bartlebee fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 2, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
If that breaks tables or doesn't show up, somebody embarrass me and tell me what I did wrong with the tagging. I've never posted pics to GWS before, but I've got two years worth of pizzas I've never shared.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks, Brother in Pizza.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Goddamn it, my dough has never looked so perfectly formed. Still good eatin', though.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Nah, a cheater recipe is when you go to Publix and spend $2 on a ball of dough from their bakery section.

You, sir, are no cheater. Anything that has to proof is good in my book.

This poster speaks the truth.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Worked up a quadruple batch of OP's dough, which I love. Back home for a funeral and it turns out my brother went and bought this because he liked my pizzas so much last time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M...asuL&ref=plSrch

It's a Cuisinart outdoor pizza oven. A guy in the reviews claimed he got his up to 650 or so, but it loses hear pretty easily. Will post results.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I was considering investing in a baking steel. I was probably going to just go with the original but then this bad boy caught my eye. https://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-S...ds=Baking+steel

I understand due to the thinner size it'll hold less thermal energy and will cool quicker and have to be reheated. But if I'm only doing one to three pies, is there really that big a tradeoff? I like the idea of it being easier to move when necessary. Thoughts?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Just bought my baking steel too! Getting ready to try a pizza in it.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Got my Nerdsteel or whatever it's called, made some 'zas.

hosed up the formating on the pictures; gotta fix this post later.

bartlebee fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 1, 2017

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Still a beautiful pie. Kudos.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

blixa posted:

Cross-post from the what did you make last night thread. Kenji's Detroit-style pizza. So drat good.

In the pan

Out of the pan

A big-rear end slice

Crust shot

No complaints. Agreed on the pepperoni but what a small note. Looks incredible.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

llibja posted:

My first real attempt at home pizza. Just basic cheese pizzas to learn the process. Recipe from the great Pizza Camp book.

Crust was a bit thicker than I was going for on my first try, still delicious.

Second try was better, not quite as thin as I like but I know it takes practice.

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy practicing!

Obviously a bit much char on top from the broiler but goddamn son that's a beautiful pie. If I had the picture readily available my first pie became an accidental calzone because I botched the peel and it was flavorless because I didn't salt enough. This is leagues better than what I made.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Jamsta posted:

After seeing those detroit style Pizza, had to give it a go.

Think it needs a little more oil and cooking time but nearly there...

Would crush that pizza.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Pizzas looking on point folks.

On a tangent, do y’all have any recommendations for transporting pizzas outside of ordering actual cardboard pizza boxes? God willing when this quarantine is over in several months I wanted to make a couple of Kenji’s cast iron deep dish pizzas for my three person department at work since I promised like a year ago but I can’t think of a decent option. Last time I had to transport them I just grabbed some pizza boxes from the cafe attached to the bookstore I worked at but that option is happily gone now.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Sourdough discard pizza. Jalapeño pepperoni, artichoke and mushroom. Not pictured: the bastard that caught on the peel and then became a calzone that also stuck and became an appetizer.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Jamsta posted:

My mother in law took a perfectly good margarita and dumped a lot of poo poo on it.

:sever:

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Not to necro this thread, but I ended up with $275 in gift cards for Christmas and was considering splurging to get an Ooni 12 outdoor propane pizza oven, which is about $400. However, they also have a 16 inch oven, but it runs $600. If I get the twelve, is this gonna be a false economy situation where I get pissed at myself for not shelling out an extra two hundred bucks and buying the bigger one?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm trying to find ways to spend more time with my in laws and my partner together. Her dad has a big Blackstone backyard plancha (so like a giant flat top grill). Any tips on cooking pizza on a Blackstone specifically or a grill in general? I'm a mid tier home pizza maker but I know the basics and I have a baking steel and a stone. Any tips or links are appreciated.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Broke down and bought an ooni 16 during their 20% off memorial sale, should arrive tomorrow. We still live in an apartment complex so we'll see how long it takes to crack out this bad boy.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

redreader posted:

What's the point of pepperoni? Compared to salami it's like baloney compared to ham: just not good.

"I've never had a pepperoni pizza in my life"

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Creating cinematic/pizza pie synergy with my pathetic baby oven

Truly feel like white sauce pies are underrated.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm doing kenjis foolproof pan pizza recipe and I haven't made it in a while. His recipe says it makes two ten inch cast iron pizzas. https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe

I doubled the recipe since I'm using two twelve inch cast iron rather than two ten inch cast irons. I haven't done real math since junior year of high school. Any recommendations on how much dough I should use for each one? Either by weight or just cutting it into thirds instead of halves?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thank you. That seems about right but I remember there was some study about how the volume increases by a huge percentage the more you increase the diameter and then I remembered I didn't take calculus 20 years ago so I could take two choir classes instead and decided to bail on attempting the math.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This comes up enough that we should just slam down a formula. Now, I did calculus in college and was somehow actually pretty good at it, but I also paradoxically suck at algebra, so here goes nothing.

The thing you want when adjusting a recipe for a different size is a surface area change, not volume, because the thickness should stay the same. So I believe the formula is:

Factor = (new width)^2 / (old width)^2

It's two pizzas, but if you're trying to still poop out two pizzas on the other end, then the factor still holds. So going from a 10-inch pizza to a 12-inch pizza:

Factor = (12)^2 / (10)^2
Factor = 144 / 100
Factor = 1.44

So you'd multiply all the ingredients by 1.44.

But wait, surface area uses radius! But proportionately, you're dividing by the same amount, so it doesn't matter. If you're not sure, then it would be 36 / 25 = 1.44.

It's true that it's hard to estimate area and volume changes. Going up just two inches like that basically means you have to add a half more dough than you already had.

Edit: I'm kind of going by the Internet theory that if nobody's posting something, then post it wrong and you'll get it as a correction. I kind of want to get this formula down too since I have to do this from time to time.

Crazy enough I was double checking kenji's recipe and one of the top comments:

"For a single pie in a 12" cast iron pan using the "multiply by 1.44 for 12"" and "divide in half for 1" formula" and then they list the recipe scaled down for one pizza in a twelve inch pan so I'm going to take that as confirmation that your math was correct.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Good on you for cooking for her and good on her for being a good wife who also loves pizza.

Tangent: I've been making mediocre pizza for years and just want to start over from scratch. I have an ooni oven I'll be cracking out finally in a few months once my partner and I get moved. Does anyone have any concrete suggestions for basic literature on pizza dough theory? I was always pretty lazy on following technique and want to start doing it right. My ideal pizza is a new york style thin crust but I want to relearn the basics.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Looks great.

After two years I might finally have a chance to break out my Detroit style pan to practice with it. For a brick cheese replacement, I usually see a combo of Monterey / cheddar / mozzarella in some combo. I have all three on hand.
Would you want to pre shred it and mix? I've seen people just cube it and stick it in the top of the dough like that. Any suggestions?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

Made some NY style dough, only had 175g of bread flour left and used AP for the remaining. Mixed it longer than I generally do (and gave it a 15m rest in the middle). Let it ferment to 80%, balled, fridge for 3 days. Turned out super stretchy and bouncy and just generally the nicest feeling dough I've ever made.

Pulled out one of the two balls tonight and did a plain old slice pie. I didn't handle it too well and didn't get a perfect crust as a result, but man that feels just like a sloppy crispy oily New Jersey/NY pizza should. I'd love another 100 degrees in this oven but I can work with this sort of result for apartment-pizza.

https://i.imgur.com/22VVAqm.mp4

Ah hell yeah.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
https://imgur.com/gallery/wuPHpJL

First attempt at New York style pizza. Didn’t get it thinned out as much as I would’ve liked but it was still pizza.

Trying a Detroit style pizza tomorrow, finally. I read Monterey Jack and young cheddar is a pretty good replacement for brick cheese but I just saw that the cheddar we got is extra sharp which in my experience doesn’t melt that well. Is this just going end up being a grease pool on top of the pizza if I have it mixed in with cubes Monterey Jack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
loving rules dude