Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
ogopogo, I've just been catching up on this thread and your food looks ridiculously incredible. You and your team should be super proud of what you do!

Does anyone have any experience with using pizza oven inserts for pellet smokers? They're basically a similar concept to an ooni, except they sit directly over the fire pot of the smoker. I'm curious about how well they can cook multiple pizzas in a row and if they're appropriate for making dinner for four, for example. To me, they (ooni ovens) seem better suited for a party scenario where people can pick at individual pizza as they come out of the oven. My current set up is using my pellet smoker to cook four pizzas simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Isn't the perpetual problem with "grill pizzas" that the heat source is situated well below the pizza, making it very challenging to cook the top of the pizza at a decent speed? Also, since the heat source is relatively far away from the stone, wouldn't you have issues making repeated pizzas back to back? The pellet smoker inserts I'm looking at don't really look like they do much to alleviate that

That's definitely been my experience when using my smoker. It's not really any different to using my oven, bar the greater capacity.

The inserts I've seen sit directly over the fire pot, which channels the heat into the pizza oven. It makes it seem for more efficient for cooking a pizza.

This is how I do multiple pizzas at once

I've been fairly happy with the results so far, but I'm still curious how a pizza oven insert would compare.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Going to try for longer ferments on my next batch of dough, and im loving the thought of using paper to help with the launch.

I use baking paper under mine for convenience. It makes assembling then so much more efficient and minimises clean-up, and transporting them is easier.

Part of my process is baking them on the pizza stone for about 5 minutes, then rotating them and removing the paper and completing the rest of the bake directly on the pizza stone.

Once everything is cooked, I transfer it back on to the baking paper for slicing because it makes transferring to the dinner plate so much easier.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Also posted in the dinner thread:

I made pizzas last night on the smoker. I tried out a wholemeal dough for the first time.

I was a little worried when the dough was stickier then usual, but everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I guess I'm making them this way from now on.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

HolHorsejob posted:

lol, 2 weeks later...

It ended up turning out ok. I managed to get some detectable ferment in it by the time I needed to use it, and it rose as expected and tasted tasty.

I'm looking for inspiration. What kind of pizza-adjacent things do you make? what other kind of flatbreads do you make in your oven?

You could do an artistic focaccia. A calzone is a folded pizza.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
A pizza rocker cutter is vastly superior to one of those wheel cutters. A pizza peel is also nice to have.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
rear end & Route.

What you've created really is impressive so I hope you, your wife and your team take a moment to feel proud of your achievements once in a while.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Made a couple of pizzas last night. Something been going on with the smoker recently so they've not been turning out as nice as they used to, but I'm happy with these.

I've been considering a pizza oven insert for the smoker because it'll allow the smoker to get hotter and give a more direct heat. It should also drastically cut down the cooking time and pellet consumption. I guess the trade off is only being able to cook one at a time.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Has anyone used a pizza oven insert in a smoker to cook their pizzas? I make mine in my smoker but the top cooks at a slower rate compared to the base.

I figure the insert will solve that issue while still allowing me to use wood pellets for the heat source. I could get an ooni, but I already have the smoker and would prefer to keep using that if possible.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

what kind of smoker do you have by the way? i'm assuming like a recteq if you have a pellet smoker that reaches pizza temps since most of them cap out around 400-500

Me? Mine is a Traeger Ironwood. Their maximum temperature is 500f, but because the chamber itself is quite large, it doesn't direct enough heat on to the toppings. The base will blacken before the crust had a nice colour sometimes.

I'm even more tempted to order the pizza oven insert now. They're supposed to also fit Traeger smokers and it should improve the quality and cooking times. The compromise would be that I can only cook one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I tried a different topping combo to my usual pizzas, and I was quite happy with the flavour.

Artichoke hearts, marinated tofu, salami, zucchini, onion, capsicum, pineapple, mushroom and topped with a herb aioli. Would do again.