Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Rand alPaul posted:

Has anyone ever tried a Kettle Pizza? This seems like it would work, and would fit in my price range. It's basically a special hood you put on a Weber grill.

That is a drat good idea. I would be all over one for my 22.5 if was priced at $50 instead of $130.

I cooked some small 8 inch pizza's on my weber for Xmas eve snacks. It went over very well and the pizza's were nice and smoky.

I used the two charcoal baskets and set up indirect heat and cooked a few small pies at around 12 minutes each on my pizza stone using parchment paper. You absolutely have to add wood chunks to get it over 600 degrees, basic chunk charcoal etc won't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I am a horrible lazy person that just uses Paul Newman's Marinara Sauce and doses it with mexican oregano, roasted garlic sprinkles and fresh ground pepper as my pizza sauce. It tastes great.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If yer gonna cheat just use some quality marinara dosed up with fresh oregano and garlic, works like a champ.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
want that

really want that

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Corn meal is fine for a sprinkled base for the pizza to slide around on...I wouldn't want tons of it in the dough but we do have a place in Sacramento named Zelda's that makes deep dish with a significant amount of cornmeal and it's not sandy at all. Maybe it's soaked and softened first.

Also keep in mind America's Test Kitchen is all about modifying old recipes and experimenting and they are definitely not from Chicago.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My Samsung NX58 Gas Range kicks rear end for 7 minute pizzas and the Broiler doesn't seem to turn off it just displays 550 max. I leave the stone on the very bottom rack.

The Pizza Party oven setup would be great in the summer though for outdoor cooking.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 19, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just cut off the extra paper before it goes in so it doesn't burn and then crumble all over the place when I pull it out. A proper stainless steel peel is essential for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

but I can't imagine that you're getting the same kind of bottom crust quality as you would get without the paper, especially on a steel. the conveyor belt method is friggin perfect in my experience.

I warm up the stone for an hour at 350 F in my Samsung 9500 gas range and then run the broiler at high for 30 more minutes. The pizzas seem get plenty of scorch on the bottom. The paper turns to ash pretty much everywhere except below the pizza. Granted my stone is broken in and seasoned and I don't need to actually do this anymore, but I don't want a peel disaster/inferno either. I do sometimes just pull the paper after setting the pizza but usually don't bother.