Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I build it on parchment paper and then just slide the parchment paper onto the pizza stone. Works like a charm and I don't need a pizza peel or cornmeal. The parchment paper the pizza is on stays white and the exposed parts turn a little brown but it never burns. Makes removal very easy also I just slide the parchment onto a pan and don't even have to touch the stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

just for the sake of posting, I've tried a number of pizza doughs, and my favorite is Batali's. I usually just buy premade, but if I'm making my own, his is spot on fwiw.

code:
Mario Batali’s Pizza Dough
Published: August 16, 2007

¼ cup white wine

¾ cup warm water

1 ½ ounces yeast

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

3 cups all-purpose flour

Method:

Combine wine, water and yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the honey, salt and olive oil and mix thoroughly. 
Start by adding 1 cup of flour and make a wet paste. Add remaining flour and incorporate.

Place dough on a lightly floured board and knead for 2 to 3 minutes.

Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise for 45 minutes.
the wine should be lukewarm though

Bread yeast?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
So does everyone overseas have a scale? How do you measure like that without one?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Phiberoptik posted:

I want to start experimenting with making my own pizza sauce. Anyone got links to good recipes?

Good pizza sauce can be found in a can, concentrate on the other ingredients and you'll have a better pizza.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I prefer an uncooked sauce. But using crushed tomatoes as opposed to whole, and then cooking on top of it, would seem to create the opposite of a chunky sauce? Why not use whole and hand crush for a better texture, especially if you're going to be cooking it which breaks the tomatoes down even more?

It's personal preference. I like a thin, cooked sauce. If I could get better mozz I might prefer fresh chunky.

Also Stromboli is awesome. I make it once every month or so. Great for parties.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 14, 2012

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

hokiehokiehokiehigh posted:

Hello, I'm about to bake my first pizza. I'm using Trader Joe's dough and a cookie sheet. I know this goes against the sacrament. I'm sorry. Is there any hope for me?

edit: Updates. Also, i forgot that my oven's heating element never turns off. Ever. I nearly burned my hand just putting the pizza in the oven.

The pizzas cooked pretty quickly, maybe 2-3 minutes apiece. The only issue i had was the middle of the pizza being undercooked. Is there any way to fix that?

You can bake the crust for 2 or 3 minutes, then put the toppings on, then bake again.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Anyone think a cast iron pizza stone would have any big difference over a regular pizza stone?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Can you substitute RapidRise yeast for active dry yeast?

edit: nm, seems like I just add it to the dry ingredients

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 7, 2013

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza? Can you even make them in a regular (gas) oven?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2uGmk0kYC4

I always just have trouble getting it out of the pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Sointenly posted:

Was this just a Google find or has someone actually tried this?

My dad is from Villa Park and he'd freak if I cranked out a passable Chicago style.

I've made it several times. Been to Giordano's and Lou Malnati's. It's goddamn close. It's just a lot more work than the video shows.