Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
I would like to add that, as someone suggested to me in the last thread, you can go by your favorite pizza place and buy balls of dough if you don't have the time (or desire) to make your own. I stop by, buy 3 or 4, and freeze them individually in ziploc bags. My pizzas always come out amazing and it saves me a lot of time.

I also get canned tomatoes and make large batches of pizza sauce in my blender, which I also freeze in baggies until I am ready to use it. When I want to make pizza, all that I really have to do is take the stuff out of the freezer and prep the toppings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Having now tried flour, cornmeal, and parchment paper to get my pizzas on the stone, parchment paper wins hands down. It's faster, cleaner, easier, and doesn't make any scorched smells.

Absolutely. Parchment paper is awesome for making pizzas on a stone. The only time that it will ever burn is if it hangs over the edge and actually touches the bottom of the oven. Otherwise all it does it turn a little brown and make your life easier. I still roll my dough out with cornmeal instead of flour because I like the texture, though.

I love this thread. It got us making our own pizza at home that people have told me was better than any pizza that they could buy :3: . On top of that, it is really cheap and fun for the kids to help out with. Also, you can save lots of time by portioning and freezing your dough and sauce ahead of time.

Thanks, thread.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

pim01 posted:

I've got a really stupid question on this - do I freeze the dough immediately after kneading, or after letting it rise? I sort of suspect the cold will kill off the yeast so I should store after rising but have no idea if that's actually right.

Yeah, I actually just buy my dough from the pizza place around the corner, but since that is the case it is safe to assume that the rough has already risen. But like Casu said, either way will work. If you want less waiting when it comes time to cook, you would likely want to let it rise first so you're not waiting for it to do so when you want to cook.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

So I come here today with a trip report of the worst pizza I have ever created.

Let me start off by stating that I thought this recipe was doomed from the start, and I only went ahead with this because the wife insisted. She's dead to me now.

The recipe was for a Bratwurst pizza with a mustard pretzel crust

Crust was fairly standard except for the addition of crumbled mustard pretzel pieces. - OK. Whatever.

Cheese was caraway muenster - Unusual, but goes with the other ingredients

Here's where it falls apart:
"Sauce" was a combination of cream cheese and dijon mustard (yuck) and the abomination was topped with undercooked (per directions) bratwurst disks and crumbled pretzel pieces. The idae being that the bratwurst finishes cooking during the baking.

Probably the single worst thing I've created in the past 7-8 years.

How could you not get pictures of this for us?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Would it be OK to just slide the pizza on the paper into the oven, does it have to make physical contact with the stone?

Absolutely. Leave the pizza on the parchment paper when it goes into the oven. I do this with every single one of my (fabulous) pizzas. Parchment won't catch fire. The worst that it ever does is brown and get kinda crispy around the edges. It won't affect your obtaining a nice, golden-brown crust in any way.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Hed posted:

Really? This sounds way freaking easier than trying to slide my pie out into a roaring hot oven. The parchment doesn't act as a vapor barrier in any significant way? I thought the "porous stone wicking action" was half of the magic, is this a myth like searing to seal in juices?

I've never had a problem. I would imagine that any moisture would go right through the paper and into the stone anyway. But I do agree that you should trim the paper around the pizza. I do the same. You don't want big chunks to darken and crumble all over your oven (or worse, onto your pizza). Try it. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

It's because my recipe is something you let ferment overnight in the fridge. The longer you let a dough rise, the less yeast you need to do so.

It is a wonderful recipe, by the way. I use it every time.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Nebula posted:

Gotta be fresh yeast, but it is still a ridiculous amount of instant if you do the conversion. Like 5.5tsp if I did the math right.

Celebrity chefs and yeast don't get along.

So celebrity chefs are vaginas?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I think for the most part the underside of the base is supposed to cook while putting your toppings onto the dough.

I thought I could do a triple whammy and heat my (now broken) pizza stone in the oven, then pre-heat the wok, put the dough into the wok, put my toppings on, then put my wok under my grill and on top of my pizza stone, so that way it's getting direct heat from underneath from the wok, then direct heat from on top and stored heat from both the pizza stone and the wok from underneath once I put it into the oven/under the grill.

Goodamn just get a cast iron skillet for like 20 bucks if you want to do it that way: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347645939&sr=8-1&keywords=cast+iron. That seems like way too much trouble.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

It's been said a ton in this thread, but just use parchment paper. You will never have to worry about sticking again.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

Thanks! I used the no-knead recipe off the first page again—with Killian's Irish Red. For some reason, it didn't rise until I threw in some extra sugar. I don't know what I did wrong, but it worked after sugaring it a bit, so happy ending!

Chipotle BBQ sauce, two kinds of cheddar (regular & smoked), half a white onion, a boneless, skinless chicken breast half, and paprika, chipotle powder and chili powder for aromatics, and a little chipotle Tabasco on top!

Unfortunately, I made one false move as I dropped it in the oven (I don't have and can't find a baking peel, so I use a regular cutting board), and it partially caved in. I salvaged it (the other half was still edible but malformed), but the stone's already a bitch to clean. :smith:

You actually clean your stone? The most I ever do is scrape mine off.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

What kind of cheese are you using? What other toppings?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

PainBreak posted:

I ordered Papa John's tonight, because I was exhausted after work. It was exactly what you would expect, for chain delivery pizza...no surprises, perfectly edible, and if you were having a party, everyone would think it's a-ok.

With a once-bitten slice in hand, I looked over at my wife and said, "I'd be so loving disappointed if I made this pizza."

Looks like it's time to make some dough...

It's so true. I hate eating pizza anywhere else but at home now.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

This page's lack of pictures made me sad.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Thanks folks. I use about one third cheddar and two thirds mozzarella. I like it; it gives the cheese a little more of a chewy bite. The pepperoni was actually turkey pepperoni to keep the thing from turning into an oil slick. Plus, you know, when you're shoving down like four pieces of pizza you gotta be a little healthy, right? It wasn't as good as regular pepperoni but once cooked its alright. Sometimes I like to hide a little caramelized onions under the cheese, too.

drat now I want to make pizza again. Thanks a lot, guys.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Oae Ui posted:

Just made this today using a crappy apartment oven and preheating a lodge cast iron stone to 550F for an hour. Good dough helps a lot. Hacking your oven is going to be ideal but don't let anyone tell you that you can't make Neapolitan style pizza without doing that.

Dough recipe, please? Yours looks so airy and delicious. Good job.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

marshalljim posted:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that necessarily; I shouldn't have insinuated there was. It's just different, and I'd like to be able to have both styles as options.

I'm thinking maybe I could pre-bake sliced onions and such beforehand for a few minutes on a cookie sheet and have them come out properly cooked on the pizza, and without seeming grilled, at least in my present setup.

Maybe you can stick the pizza under a broiler toward the end to evaporate some of the moisture? Oh and I want to second caramelized onions on pizza. Put that poo poo on there with some bacon and it's absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Sacrilage posted:

I tried a rather bizarre pizza recipe the other night that turned out awesome. Used standard dough, and cooked on a pizza stone at 500.

Pizza Sauce: Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
Toppings: Kalua (or pulled) pork, Pineapple, Red Onion, Mozzarella, cilantro

That sounds absolutely amazing. Nice work.