Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Glad this thread is back. Went deep dish Chicago style myself tonight.

It's a little messy and needs to be eaten with a fork and knife but drat if this wasn't one of the best pizza's I've ever had. Went pepperoni, sauteed garlic, mushrooms, onions and peppers. Topped with homemade tomato sauce, and parmigiana cheese. Oh and of course I put a layer of fresh mozzarella and provolone on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

glompix posted:

What do you do for sauce? I feel like our sauce is our weak point. We buy peeled, canned tomatoes and crush them, but it ends up a little too runny/pulpy for my liking. Still really good, though! Chicago style best style. :hfive:

You can do a couple different things with the sauce depending what mood you're in. For my crust I followed the King Arther Flour recipe. I've found all of their stuff comes out amazing. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/01/16/heres-the-deep-dish-secrets-of-chicagos-favorite-pizza-revealed/

For the sauce I decided to make it different so I did what you did. Threw in some carrot, celery, onion and olive oil to my canned tomatoes. Also had some Cabernet lying around so I threw that in as well. Reduced it for a bit to get the water out and then ran it through my food processor.

I'm going to make it exactly like they do on the web site next because it looks pretty drat good as well.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah I'm sure you can make great pizza with the cast iron and I'm sure you have done it plenty of times. However, that crust is burnt as poo poo.

It's not a big deal I'll call anyone a liar if they say they've never burnt something in their life.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Nostrum posted:

Well I did a thing

Bechamel, Emmental cheese, caramelized onions, finished with fresh thyme. These pies baked at ~850 degrees and cooked in under 2 minutes; natural sourdough starter, King Arthur bread flour. 3 day cold rise.

:psyboom: I am beyond jealous you get to eat that right now.
Also,

Aniki posted:

What kind of setup are you using to cook a pizza at 850 degrees?

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

How do I make the crust on final product softer? I don't have my recipe handy but I remember I used a ratio of 3:1 of flour to liquid and let it rise for about two hours at room temperature, divided the dough and let it rise again for an hour or so. Baked it on a ~550 degree stone.

The end result was crispy and tasted fine, however I'd like to try a softer crust as well.

Any suggestions?

After putting all the toppings on the pizza let it rest for like 30 min before putting it in the oven. It should make it softer and more chewy as opposed to crispy.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Cizzo posted:

I had that problem with standard pizza cutters and then I went the Ice Cream route and would slightly wet my pizza cutter with hot water and the toppings no longer ripped off my pizza.

:psyduck: You know that works with ICE cream is because it's cold, and the HOT scooper melts the ICE cream to make it easier to scoop.

Not too sure what a slightly warm pizza cutter is going to do to a 400 degree pie.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Kenning posted:

I mean, water is a lubricant. You just lubricated your pizza cutter. It's not that crazy.

That's what I'm saying. The hot part is just ridiculous.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

TheBigBad posted:

Is it possible to start a culture with a bit of raw dough from your favorite pizzeria, or has the salt in the dough killed the lactobacilli that poops out the flavor?

Are you asking if you could get the yeast out of the dough? I'm sure you could ask the pizza place what yeast they use for their dough. I hope you know that you can not multiply dough cells.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
That does sound like a tasty pie. I had one the other night that was just too good.

Chicken
Bacon
Artichoke
Some crazy good Blu Cheese crumble/sauce stuff

I suggest you guys try that combination if you haven't before it might be my new favorite right now.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

88h88 posted:

And this was one from last week, same as above. Slow rise over 4/5 days this one.

Mmmm this one looks so tasty. What is reggae reggae sauce pizza?

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
So I'm making some pizza and was about to turn our oven to 500 and a crazy thought just popped in my head.

My parents have a kiln in our house that they use for pottery. Now this bad boy gets up to about 3000 degrees which would obviously charcoal a pizza pretty quickly. I was thinking if I was feeling daring I could modify it a bit and turn it on it's side and use it as a pizza oven while it warms up at about 700-800?

Please someone tell me I'm an idiot before I ruin my parent kiln...

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't think turning a vessel designed to heat to 3000 degrees on its side is a very good idea, regardless of if you can drop the temperature. Whatever the actual risk of failure may be, the potential consequences could be pretty ugly. Especially if it's inside the house, as you say.

Yeah I quickly decided that it was really dumb and unsafe and to just used the oven. It works great but I really want some pizza baked at a higher temp. Oh well this will have to do...

:hellyeah:

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

My oven goes up to 550F and while I'm sure it's not as good as a true pizza oven, I can't complain about the end result (I use a stone too). In my experience, quality home-made dough that is given a long rise will give you a great end result even if the oven isn't optimal temperature.

Totally agree, I love my stone but when you're in the mood for that type of pizza there's just not a good replacement for it. Nothing like a perfectly chard crust that still is a tiny bit chewy. The pizza I made tonight was one of my best yet the dough was perfect. I was able to stretch it out till I was able to see through it no problem.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah that looks pretty good. Guess I know what I'm making for dinner tonight. I need to un-bookmark this thread... It doesn't help my pizza addiction.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

agentseven posted:

So I've been working on perfecting the NY style. I was happy to get the chance to talk to Jeff Varasano via email and he gave me some crazy detailed advice on how to handle just having a 500F oven. After mixing his advice with advice on here and a dash of youtube, I've come up with a pie that fairly well emulates my favorite (non-Neopolitan) NY pizza, which comes from a local chain called NYPD (New York Pizza Department).

I've found that adding toppings kind of hides the flavor of the dough/sauce/cheese so I've been working really hard on making a really good just simple, basic cheese pizza that blows my mind. Came closer than ever today:

That thing is pretty amazing looking browned so perfectly... I wanted to do something different so I made a BBQ pork, red onion pizza with Gouda, Fontina and mozzarella cheese. Such a good combination I totally recommend you guys trying out. Also, yes please share some of that info!

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah I with you on the 500 degree oven problem. I'd love to make some Neopolitan pizza but I'll be super happy to have a pizza come out as good looking as that one.

I have a Green Egg mini grill thing and got a stone that I can put in it. Do you guys think that it would come out ok in there? Does anyone have any opinions on grilled pizza? I don't think I would like the smokey flavor that would come with it. Maybe it would go good with my BBQ pizzas?

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
While that pizza is absolutely hilarious it was still... uhhh... How did you manage to cook one half while the other looks super under cooked? Your oven must have some really weird cold spots or something or you ran it through a conveyor oven?

Next time rotate that thing halfway through to get it to cook more evenly and don't you dare ever put salsa on a pizza again.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Everything I've read is that you should only keep it for a week or so. Jmcrofts right that it wont kill you but dough is so cheap and pretty fast to make its not really worth it in my opinion.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
:lol: Do these at least taste good? They may be ugly as hell but I salute you for your efforts. If that's what you like then more power to you... However, that crust doesn't really look too cooked...

How did it come out?

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Nostrum posted:

Yep, self-clean. I just snipped the locking mechanism off and jammed some tin foil in the door sensor. The oven takes about 1 hour to heat up to 800 degrees. I also use a Fibrament-D baking stone that is a loving indestructible champion.

May I move in with you please? Or can you mail me some pizza? ugghhhh I'm so jealous.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Nostrum posted:

So I tried my hand at making a more NYC-ish, pizzeria style pie tonight. I used exactly the same process that I normally do, only with a 60% hydration dough and the oven only at 500 degrees. They turned out pretty good; pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

They take 8 minutes 30 seconds to cook and are nice and crispy, soft in the center, with perfect stringy cheese.

500g water
825g bread flour
4g yeast
30g salt

Makes 3 pizzas. Sauce is just crushed whole tomatoes, salt, romano cheese, dried basil, black pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Grated dry mozz.

You have proved time and time again that you are the pizza master. Please have me over for dinner TIA.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

angor posted:

I'm trying my hand at a 100% whole wheat pizza dough.

800g Whole Wheat Flour (600g 'very strong', 200g plain whole wheat) - 100%
700g Water - 87.5%
12g Yeast - 2%
20g Salt - 3%
38g Honey - 5%
22g Olive Oil - 3%

It is VERY wet and VERY sticky. I 'kneaded' it once and let it rise till doubled, kneaded again, another rise, kneaded again, another rise. Think I read that method somewhere. Forming them will be a pain in the rear end. Might par-cook them first before topping. I'll be sure to take some pictures!

Why not use any white flower? Usually whole wheat crusts are part of each. Are you just experimenting? I have a feeling that crust is going to be very dense.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
This thread shall never die goons will always need pizza.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Oh yeah, that's a good looking pie. I feel like I suffer from the same problem. The pizzas I make for myself always turn out better and the ones I make for people something always turns out wrong. I SWEAR I CAN MAKE GOOD PIZZA GUYS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
What exactly is "Tavern-style" pizza? It looks pretty drat good.