Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I've been experimenting with pizza the last couple months, but I just branched out and tried that King Arthur Chicago style recipe tonight. Crammed into a 12" tri-ply skillet rather than a proper deep dish pan or cast iron skillet, but very satisfied.

I added a little pepperoni too, and used a sllightly larger can of whole tomatoes, crushing them and taking the puree they were packed in to make some sauce, which was poured over the tomatoes. If I retry this the main thing I plan to change (other than halving the recipe or something because this is way more pizza than I need) is to heat the pan a bit before it goes in the oven since the bottom could have stood to be a bit crisper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I've been pretty happy with this recipe only reducing the honey quite a bit since it comes out too sweet. It's good and simple, tomato paste base, and if you make it often you can just make a bunch of the spice mix ahead of time to just add a couple teaspoons to each batch. Probably good for about two full sized pizzas if you don't like the sauce heavy.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I got a bag of rice flour to use to keep crust from sticking, and it's pretty amazing. Works better than either cornmeal or wheat flour, makes no discernible taste.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

nwin posted:

Is there anything I can do so a huge piece of cheese doesn't slide off the pizza slice as I take a bite, leaving only some sauce and crust behind?

I'm not proud: when the pizza is hot and goopy I use a knife and fork.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Yea but the fake garlic butter dipping sauce makes it worth it.

I need to make a pie but I've been putting it off cause I've been doing a low carb thing for the past 3 months. Then I end up cracking when I'm drunk and buying 2 am slices. It's just not the same as a nice 900 degree cleaning cycle pizza.

This is the best thing about just dieting by moderation and exercise, I'm finding. Every week or two I make a pizza, just I don't go overboard with heavy toppings and don't eat too much at a meal.

I'm also in on the seldom eating chain pizza any more though. Sometimes if there's a good sale or can't take time, but I've gotten to where I like my own work better.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Tenchrono posted:

This is going to sound weird, But is there a way to make a high protein Pizza Dough?

If you want to just boost protein, rather than figure out how to make low-carb pizza or something, you could experiment by cutting in some soy flour and/or wheat germ in place of bread flour in an existing recipe and see how much you can get without diminishing the quality too much.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I made this one tonight.

Never tried making Hawaiian, so went and did it. Ham, pineapple, and some ricotta, 500 with stone.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Putting brick mozzarella in the freezer until it firms up some makes it easier to shred too.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Oracle posted:

For all those complaining about sticky peels, is there some religious reason people don't use pizza screens? They're like two bucks at the local restaurant supply store and they come in a range of sizes from personal to jesus christ that won't even fit in a home oven. Just build your pizza right on it and use your peel to slide it in the oven. No muss, no fuss, still get that stone contact through the screen, easy peasy.

When I did that it was maybe worse on the stone than the screen just put straight on the rack. So I just switched to parchment paper.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I don't have a peel, so I used a flat baking sheet. but like an idiot, I tried doing it ON the sheet rather than o nthe counter and using the sheet to move it. I almost folded my pizza on top of itself in the stove :argh:

My last accidental calzone was when I moved to parchment paper. Never regretted.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Mojo Jojo posted:

As a man with a pizza stone, my main issue is getting the pizza onto the stone without a horrible spillage. I've taken to dropping a disc of dough directly onto the hot stone, throwing on toppings as quickly as possible and then sticking in the oven. I'd like to rush less though and I don't really want to buy a pizza shovel (if I'm doing that then I'm just getting a real pizza oven)

With this I've moved to making the crust on parchment, cooking it a couple minutes on the stone, taking it out to top, then putting it back in without the parchment.

Though this does lead to the secondary minor trouble that the crust sometimes puffs up incredibly in those couple minutes than needs pierced and deflated before topping. Not sure what to do about that. I tried piercing one just now and if anything it did it worse.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I can't comment on that specific mix, but one thing I've learned when working with flour is to always get a recipe figured out in weight, not volume. It's just so prone to packing and settling that I can never get it consistent otherwise. I usually use about a 3:2 weight ratio for flour:water but I also usually use a mix of whole wheat and bread flour rather than 00 so I don't know how that affects it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I moved to using a no-cook sauce made with tomato paste, water, honey, parmesan cheese, garlic, and a bunch of seasonings I just premix in a bottle so I can spoon it in with no real work. It's pretty spicy and flavorful, and I have no regrets there.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Pizza Club posted:

I've previously only tried deep dish pizzas and am now attempting thinner crusts and using a pizza stone. One problem that I haven't had to deal with is how to get the dough off the peel and onto the stone. I attempted this last night with disastrous results.

Is there a protip on easily moving dough from the peel to oven?

e: I dusted it with what I thought was plenty of flour.

I use rice flour to prevent sticking: it works well and leaves less floury taste. But I'm still pretty terrible for getting the crust onto the stone so I just use parchment paper. Often I'll remove the parchment paper after a minute or so of cooking.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Flour is the only thing I consider important to measure by weight, since it's so compressible that I could never get consistent results with measuring cups. I measure water by weight too, but only since I have the scale set up. Yeast, salt, whatever else I add to dough gets spooned in.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I don't put tomato on a pizza when I'm using tomato sauce, but with white or barbecue sauces I commonly do. Then I use plum tomatoes, partly since they're lower moisture to start, and scoop the inner seed part out too.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I use rice flour myself. I could just try more regular flour next time, but it seems to be fine enough to have no noticeable texture, no flavor, and doesn't need that much for very low friction.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I use an uncooked sauce, but with about a 50-50 mix of tomato paste and water, plus seasonings and some grated parmesan for thickening.

Basically this recipe, only with far less honey because that's ridiculous: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/exquisite-pizza-sauce/

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
And here I'd been adding garlic to my dough as a flavor thing.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Been just gradually refining technique, and happy with my results tonight.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

nwin posted:

What's everyone's go to recipe for a pizza sauce?

I use this one only with far less honey because seriously that must be an error. Uncooked paste-based and convenient, but if you're not using it all at once it tends to gel up in the fridge overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

I keep having a problem where I have to put so much flour on my pizzas to get them to not stick that it makes this sort of layer of flour on the bottom that doesn't cook and I feel like sort of prevents the bottom from browning.

I find rice flour works the best with the least discernible effect on the finished product.