Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've been using a recipe out of modernist bread that my brother has and the pizzas are very nice but the dough is really difficult to handle. Searching the thread it looks like people are using about 65%. I'm hand mixing which I imagine doesn't help.

This is the recipe - is this just way too much hydration? 74%?

I had a hilarious double fail last weekend where I had to switch yeast bc the usual stuff wan't available and had very limited rise. I had also decided to follow the MB advice below and use dough relaxer to make it easier to handle. Added a single drop of kiwi juice. The dough was like batter, impossible to hold.

Somehow managed to make it into some pizzas and they were OK. But I need a reset, should I just reduce the hydration in what I'm currently doing or switch to something like the Ooni neapolitan one? I like the taste of the multi day don't mind the multi day process

https://eu.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/neo-neapolitan-pizza-dough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah I will try reducing the hydration down to 65% next time and see how that goes and maybe work back up. As you say Rocko it sticks to the peel sometimes and then its a disaster. I've been using plenty of semolina as ball bearings.

The flour isn't any kind of specialty stuff but I'd think decent quality. Unfortunately the choice is pretty limited.

https://www.coop.ch/en/food/inventories/staples/flour-sugar/flour/naturaplan-organic-white-flour/p/3033271

I have some 75% in the fridge, it's really sticky. This was a fairly well shaped ball a couple of hours ago.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah I agree, not looking right. This was following the recipe I posted before, hand mixed and then bulk fermented 5 hours with a fold per hour.

Next time I'll drop the hydration and see how that works. Then... mixer?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I don't have a mixer. Any recommendations?

e: is a spiral mixer actually better? looks like there are some that are roughly the same price as a kitchenaid or kenwood.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/famag-grilletta-im-5-color-5-kg-electric-dough-mixer-grey-model-p-4443.html

e2: I am making a half batch of this basic pizza dough https://eu.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/classic-pizza-dough which is 60% as an A/B test and already it's just so much easier to handle

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 3, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thanks :) I appreciate the advice. Per the note in the ooni recipe on cold fermenting I used half the quantity of yeast. I'm using fresh yeast. It'll get 24 hours in the fridge once divided. I will report back!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Did an A/B test of the 75% hydration vs the 60%. The 60 was much easier to knead but ultimately a lot less nice to eat than the 75

75% on the left, 60% on the right. Both are 250g lumps. The 60% dough expanded a load more here but ultimately made the same size pizzas.

60% with capers and anchovies

75% with capers and anchovies.

I got a tip for shaping the dough off an Ooni video and it made handling the high hydration dough a load easier. Both pizzas were nice but the crust on the 60% was quite a bit heavier. The 75% also tasted lots better which I guess is from the poolish and 48 hour fermentation.

I'm not quite sure where that leaves me! If I can just get better at handling the dough I'll probably stick with the high hydration. Maybe I should try a 70% as a compromise.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I still have a "ball" (lol) of dough but don't want to defrost any tomato sauce. Recs for pizza bianco topping for my lunch? Thinking cherry tomatoes, goats cheese, pesto?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Delicious. I think my main problem was incompetence at shaping the pizza but seem to be getting a bit better.

Also I remembered that you can use water injection to make crusts more crusty so gave it a few squirts with the cat dissuading spray bottle.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got one of the rectangular tubs for proving the dough balls but they just spread out until they were touching.

This is 75% hydration with an autolyse step and I kneaded the dough more, also halved the amount of fresh yeast. The pizzas were absolutely delicious but I think I just need to reduce the hydration until I get a bit better bc this floppy dough is a pain in the butt.

Fennel salami, artichokes, olives and mozzarella.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I downloaded pizzapp, thanks for the rec. I have some mini pizza balls proving in the fridge ready for friends bringing kids round this afternoon for bbq (for the adults). 65% hydration is so much easier to handle!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

gently caress it I think I'm going to get a Koda.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

First go with the Kodi. The pizza immediately caught fire and I found it difficult to time when to get it out. Also a bit tricky to launch the pizza? Anyway it is delicious and a learning experience.

69% hydration with a 14% poolish and 24 hour cold fermentation.

Oh also I made the sauce with drained San marzano tomatoes and a little can of tomato purée, plus salt, sugar and oregano. It's thicker than previous attempts which seems to work better.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Epic Prison Guy have you used Pizzapp? It was recommended ITT and has been really good for me. I was originally doing high hydration dough as a way to get a good rise in a normal oven, but now with an Ooni that's not necessary and the dough is way easier to handle.

Currently I use 65% hydration with a 22 hour poolish and 24 hour cold ferment.

Flour is Caputo Pizzeria which has been working well.

The supermarkets here get really good fruit and veg and I made a tomato sauce for pasta using fresh plum tomatoes the other day. The taste was great and way different from tinned tomatoes so I may try that next weekend. Needs to lose some water though, maybe I can stick it in a low oven.

We have really nice Italian fennel salami which has been :discourse: on pizza

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jesus. 3 volumes on pizza.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sounds good. Peel then freeze, or just freeze?

I tried to pass the tomatoes for that sauce through a sieve to remove the seeds, it didn't really work as a load of the pulp got stuck in the sieve as well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pizzas coming out pretty good tonight. Guys who have one, with the Ooni do you find you have to modulate the temperature a decent amount? The pizzas come out best by far for me if I have it fairly low, launch the pizza and then crank it to max, rotating 90deg every 15 seconds.

Capers and anchovies (I love this combo)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Made some pizzas

Someone was asking about poolish, it's a pre-ferment 50:50 flour / water and a tiny bit of yeast

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Same, I just use some ceramic bowls and lightly oil them, and cover with some oiled cling film.

I've reduced the amount of yeast I use to the Pizzapp recommend dose, it rises less in the fridge now but still does in the oven. It's easier to handle like this.

The dough needs to come out of the fridge maybe an hour before you're going to use it otherwise it doesn't rise as well in the oven.

This is the poolish someone asked about, 75g flour / 75g water and a tiny amount of yeast, supposed to be 0.08g but I have no way of measuring that.

240g dough ball straight out of the fridge.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got some buffalo mozz, it's way nicer than the lactose-free mozzarella I've been using, and apparently low lactose content.

I only started making pizza when my girlfriend stopped being able to eat lactose, shortly after we moved to a country where the diet is 90% cheese. Lol.

The dough behaved a bit weirdly today, a bit sticky. Tasted good though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I didn't have time to do any poolish or cold fermentation... and the dough was quite a bit easier to handle. Less tasty, but the shape was way better. 65% hydration dough using Pizzapp. Just using buffalo mozzarella as the lactose free stuff isn't available up here. Sauce is pasaata rustica with oregano, salt, garlic and some tomato purée.

Napoletana (anchovies and capers)

Roasted peppers, cooked ham, artichokes, sweetcorn.

Yum

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ogopogo what % hydration dough do you use?

Pizzas getting fairly reliable nowadays, idk why I only take photos of the anchovy & capers ones but here it is anyway:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anybody have suggestions/preference for a same-day dough for a pizza oven, either neapolitan or NY style stuff. I'm not expecting miracles or anything. I have a bread mixer for kneading and the reality is I just never plan ahead but want to be able to throw something together starting at noon or whatever. If anybody has had good luck with any recipes.

What you need is thread favourite, Pizzapp

The fine tuning of hydration has a really big impact on how the dough handles. I've been using 65% but it does depend on the dough. Maybe stick 63% into the app with 2% salt and see what you get with your desired rising time.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I turn the oven down between pizzas, it seems to get too hot if left maxed and things burn or catch fire.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ah lol I didn't see it was a cups recipe. gently caress that noise.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tacalzone

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Idk about the other one but my Ooni has been fantastic. Would definitely buy again if I needed to.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If the dough is too sticky it can be as simple as insufficient kneading and gluten development so it doesn't hold together enough. Beyond that, hydration being too high or flour not having enough protein are big culprits for me.

Using a pizza oven I really don't need very high hydration dough, it still gets good n puffy at 63-65%

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I am making pizzas

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lactose free mozzarella. It's less nice than the proper stuff, but on the other hand my girlfriend can eat it without blowing up like a balloon, and is the reason I started making pizza in the first place.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It is lower in lactose but not lactose free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wow congratulations Mr world champion!

I made my first pizzas in a while, I am getting better at kneading and also better at forming the bases. Anyway this is the nicest pizza I've made, such a treat to be able to knock it out at home.