Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I guess not having to open the top would be handy, and keep the temp more stable, as well as being able to easily slide pizzas on a peel in from the side.

The way I do pizzas on the grill (actually did this Sunday!) is to make "single serving" sized crusts (around 6-8" I think) and cook one side on the grill until it's browned as much as you'd like. Take it out, flip it over and top it with what you'd like (so you're putting toppings on the cooked side of the crust) - then just put it back on the grill to cook the other side of the crust. Usually by that time the toppings/cheese are plenty cooked. Having a two-heat-zone coal setup would probably be useful if you need more time to cook the toppings and less so the crust.

I experimented this past weekend with lump charcoal (I've been using briquettes until now). The lump is really tasty, and very hot, but doesn't seem to last as long as I would want for more than a few pizzas, even when the vents are closed down quite a bit. Not to mention most of the chunks just fall through the charcoal grate..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU