Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
So, its actually really easy to make your pizzas round without those thin and thick spots that the OP had in his pizza; was something I learned at dominoes (please forgive the heresy, but true). I found a good video of how to do it; watch from minute 4 onward, where he shoes you how to properly "ball" the dough before letting it rest/expand, especially minute 6.

This also lets you make bigger pizzas without soft centers or uncooked crusts. Great technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3MEV-dQ0A&feature=related

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
I tried a rather bizarre pizza recipe the other night that turned out awesome. Used standard dough, and cooked on a pizza stone at 500.

Pizza Sauce: Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
Toppings: Kalua (or pulled) pork, Pineapple, Red Onion, Mozzarella, cilantro

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
My first job was working at Dominos Pizza; aside from the severe emotional damage from witnessing extreme sexual acts with pizza pie, I learned to at least form a decent pizza.

I stress Decent; somewhere between acceptable and terrible.

The one thing my co-worker taught me (who had owned his own pizza shop previously; talk about a rough fall) was that good pizza sauce is a hell of a lot more than tomatoes. Kind of got me into thinking about different sauces. Aside from Mae Ploy, my next favorite is to do a Arrogant Bastard IPA Barbeque Sauce, cut with good Alfredo to limit the overwhelm factor, and use that as the start of a barbeque chicken pizza.

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 5, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

The Midniter posted:

Could you elaborate on this?

So Domino's pizza sauce was really just tomatoes, sugar, and salt. I was lamenting at work one day that I was having trouble making my own pizza sauce at home, and when I told him what I was adding, he chuckled and gave me a recipe to try that opened my eyes. My current pizza sauce recipe is:

4-6 medium fresh tomatoes
- Vary the amount of tomatoes depending on how traditional you want the sauce; more tomatoes, more traditional
- I use the tomatoes from my garden, and make 2-3 gallons a year and can it
1/2 green/red bell pepper
1/2 Anaheim pepper (or use jalapeno, sparingly: flavor, not heat)
2-3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt to taste

Put everything in a blender and blend roughly; you want chunks, as they add character.
Once blended, put the sauce in a pan and heat over medium heat; reduce to desired consistency. They longer it sits on the stove, the more infused the flavors, so add water if you need more time but the consistency gets too thick.

It took me a while to come to this recipe, but as I got more experienced, I put on fewer and less toppings, and let the pizza sauce come out more. Like you said, less is more on toppings; the sauce, and hence the tomatoes in a traditional pizza sauce, needs to be a star player. This is what I meant when I say the sauce is more than just tomatoes; there is a lot of character to the pie you can get just through the sauce.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I started out with really complex sauces which called for being stewed for long periods of time, and over time trended towards simpler sauces.

No arguing there man; the recipe I posted above takes a ton of time, which is why I make a shitload of it all at once and can it in mason jars for a year. Takes a full day, but after that, I can do pizza every week without worry about it! I prefer my sauces to be spicy, hence my recipe for a modification to the standard tomato and olive oil recipe.

And thebigpicture, I'm not preaching, it's just a personal taste thing, so I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. If we're talking about a pizza that needs the tomatoes to be front and center, yeah, simple is best. De gustibus non est disputandum. My original comment of "good pizza sauce is a hell of a lot more than tomatoes" was simply an observation that I was trying to pigeonhole a simple tomato pizza sauce into a pie that needed something else.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Killer robot posted:

I moved to using a no-cook sauce made with tomato paste, water, honey, parmesan cheese, garlic, and a bunch of seasonings I just premix in a bottle so I can spoon it in with no real work. It's pretty spicy and flavorful, and I have no regrets there.

Yeah, using the tomatoes kind of screws my qi up; so much juice that it turns runny if I don't evaporate for a while. I think I'll try using tomato paste this winter though, and do the no-cook thing.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
That looks awesome; nice job man. What gave you the inspiration?

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
I never would of thought to use bean sprouts; god drat genius. I'm trying the hankki Avocado and angor Thai pizzas tomorrow.

drat glad I stopped by this thread. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Less shirt; in this very specific case, I feel that you cannot adequately cook pizza with a shirt.

Otherwise, looks perfect.