Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bolind posted:

Just ordered an Ooni Koda 16. I’ve resisted for months but then Kenji said we were in the golden age of backyard pizza making and I cracked.

I made this on my Karu 12

you're definitely gonna like it. I've been looking for a gas adapter because I tried putting out like 8 pizzas in an evening, and while they came out well the effort involved in tending the fire and the time taken keeping things up to temp definitely exhausted me where I feel like a gas will keep a consistency for mass cooking.

unfortunately the loving things have been sold out forever. they were supposed to be back in stock in mid-june, but then either they got sold out again or the timeline changed and so even a couple of the already overpriced ebay gas adapters i was looking at (120 vs 90 bucks) just jumped up like another 30 loving dollars. goddamn do I ever hate this scalping economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Malefitz posted:

I would love if this worked for me but it doesn't. When my guests want to prepare their own Pizzas that usually means even more stress for me. And I feel responsible if they turn out poo poo.

This is why I'd much rather do it just on my own without interference from others :shrug:

Guests preparing their own pizzas usually results in them typically launching poorly, I've found. Usually end up with like some sauce or something that dripped over the side and sticking the dough to the peel

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Its ridiculous how much Ooni and some of these other brands have changed the game over the last decade.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ogopogo posted:

I kickstarted the first Uuni (before he changed the name) and even back then it was a powerful feeling to finally produce decent pies out of a little portable oven. The home pizza revolution has really been fun and interesting to be a part of and to watch grow. With all the resources, access to pretty great product most everywhere, and some time and practice, everyone can make pizza that's 100x better than what they get at most places. There's a little bit of everything in the process for everyone to be interested, it's always a great party time making pizzas.

Yeah totally. I think the biggest thing for me was just that Neapolitan style pizza is just, for a multitude of reasons I'm sure, not a widespread style in America, so being able to pump them out without going into Philly or KoP is really nice.

And it's all at a fraction of the cost. Flour, water, salt, yeast, tomatoes, and then the cheese and other toppings are to your own discretion. I was joking with my parents when I said that the Ooni pays for itself but, legitimately, a lovely dominoes large is still like 13-18 bucks. If you churn out like 20-30 pizzas (which is really easy to do) the thing has kinda actually made up the difference.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo wow, that cheese in the dough situation looks awesome.

the sheer hubris of man

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

StarkingBarfish posted:

Jealous of all the detroit style pies in here. Might have to try it some time but I'm having too much fun with neapolitans.

Margherita, egg added with 20 secs to go :

is this egg... blue?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

StarkingBarfish posted:

I've LED under shelf lighting and it fucks with the white balance.

The Scotch bonnet and Chorizo pizza was good, but kicked my rear end. I'd tone it down if I was sharing it.

lol gotcha. I had to ask just to make sure I didn't have a tumor or something

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ogopogo posted:

Took a video of some Sicilian dough dimpling!

https://i.imgur.com/sqiKrZO.mp4

nws this you freak

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

they're both excellent and nearly equal in performance.

i personally have a karu 12 and its great. I've done both wood and gas and both work perfectly (wood is a little finnicky, but no big issues)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

grats dude, looks sick

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

thats why you always throw an excessive, possibly hedonistic amount of pepperonis on there. you and anyone walking by is gonna snag a mfer

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mods?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

unfortunately i mangled a third pie that i did not take a picture of. tried to get under to turn it and somehow just smashed it straight into the burner. no idea how. i thought the whole thing was gonna be ash by the time i got it out but i somehow salvaged a good 3/4ths of it. that one had like some pesto and spinach and proscuitto, i cant remember whatever else my mom threw on there. first one is just mozzarella and pepperoni for my dad and the second picture is pepperoni and proscuitto. i completely forgot to slap some anchovies on half of one of the pizzas

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

its insanely cool how rewarding it is to learn something like this

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to build one at this point?

its cool that this is the road everyone is doomed to go down

1. huh a pizza dough is just flour, water, yeast and salt. thats so cheap. why dont i do this myself
2. you dont even have to knead it you can prep the night before and do an overnight rise
3. i think i'll buy a pizza stone
4. hmm i can get a better finish with the broiler also
5. i think i'll buy a pizza steel
6. actually my outdoor grill gets up to 700, lets do it on that
7. what if i built a little oven inside of the grill around the steel
8. oh wow these dedicated pizza ovens are pretty affordable and just so much more efficient and put out such a better quality pizza
9. [mental static]
10. i should buy a house so i can build an outdoor brick pizza oven

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bees x1000 posted:

I followed 1-5 but I'm hoping to skip to 10

i highly recommend step 9 which is where i am comfortably occupying atm

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i think the biggest problem with pellets is that its kinda like induction or whatever. where its a square wave function and the thing is either on or off. it squirts some more pellets in when it catches the temp dipping too low, in the same way that induction will cycle the current for the pan.

this isnt a problem for barbecue because the temps are so low that you cant really notice an actual dip. and also the additional pellets that get dropped in like an automated cat food dispenser aren't enough to spike the temp (although ive heard bbq people complain about getting temp spikes, even though its really just going from like 250 to 260 and then back to 250)

i think at higher temps, what you might be looking for with pizza, that's a much wilder swing. but ive never cooked on pellets before so i'm talking out of my rear end.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i'll conclude by saying that i have the ooni karu that can use both gas and a wood tray and i do not think i will ever use the wood tray again. it is not worth it. i dont think it adds to the pizza and it is a real loving pain in the rear end to manage the fire, especially if you're doing more than one pie.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone ever make naan? I've heard you can make naan in an ooni, and I'm curious if anyone here has done this and has a recipe.

I just used chef john's recipe and had a cast iron flat pan that I could throw on an induction burner at max temp. It worked awesomely - I'm assuming any pizza oven would do as good as or even better a job.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/02/garlic-naan-now-100-tandoor-free.html

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

His dough is probably more home cook friendly though. I'm assuming a more traditional dough is probably a higher hydration and then done at higher temps

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hand pulling vs rolling makes a big difference too.

i think like 70% of it is this. making sure not to completely flatten the 'cornicione' when forming the pizza. the air you leave in the crust will create awesome bubbles

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

to elaborate on steel vs stone - stone technically holds its temperature better, but that is because steel is a much better conductor, so it does a much better job of actually transferring heat from itself to another object. it also makes it faster at heating up.

but because stones hold their temperature better, its usually better for breads (and useful to keep in the bottom of your oven just for the sake of better temperature regulation). they also dont require reheating between pizzas the way that a steel does (not that i've ever found that to be a problem for a steel)

i ignore these problems by buying an ooni and completely gave up trying to fumble around with my oven

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bloody ghost titty posted:

Gas or wood fired?

Both lol. I got the karu. But I got the gas adapter after like two of three cooks cause futzing around with the firebox is the least fun thing in the world. If im gonna have a live fire, I may as well build a brick oven. Cash out my 401k and get one of those forno piombo ovens shipped over

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HolHorsejob posted:

Wood is nice but if it's hot enough to give you a good bake, it's burning through fuel fast enough that you have to load it faster than a comfortable workflow allows (unless you have 2 people using it). The flavor is great, but it unavoidably adds an unpleasant level of stress and inconvenience to the experience

Yeah that was my feeling. And if I wanted that kind of flavor, I'm probably gonna end up firing up my smoker/grill. Although I could see where the ooni can pull double duty, especially for smaller meals where you don't feel like firing up an entire thing of coal.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Hypnolobster posted:

Made more of this chewy poof

holy lmao that crust

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fall Dog posted:

Has anyone used a pizza oven insert in a smoker to cook their pizzas? I make mine in my smoker but the top cooks at a slower rate compared to the base.

I figure the insert will solve that issue while still allowing me to use wood pellets for the heat source. I could get an ooni, but I already have the smoker and would prefer to keep using that if possible.

my brother in law got the insert for the masterbuilt 900 series (i think this was a costco exclusive or something) and it works really well. the smokers are listed as being able to get up to 700F but i've seen them hit 800 before.

i have a masterbuilt 560 and have tried various times to cook pizzas on them (specifically neapolitans) with varying degrees of success. i even tried to build my own little insert by taking some bricks and piling them around the pizza steel.

it definitely 'works' but you go through like a whole bag of charcoal for 2-3 pizzas. the hopper is basically a jet engine at that point. i eventually gave up and got an ooni and haven't really looked back

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

what kind of smoker do you have by the way? i'm assuming like a recteq if you have a pellet smoker that reaches pizza temps since most of them cap out around 400-500

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

How portable is the ooni koda compared to the roccbox? I know the ooni is lighter but the actual dimensions of the roccbox seem like it's just gonna be easier to throw in the trunk for glamping or using at the park compared to the koda.

the roccbox is a little taller, and the ooni is a little wider. its about the same footprint, both are pretty easy to toss into a trunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

depends on how desperate you are for space in your trunk, i guess