Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm planning on getting a mini baking steel griddle soon (since Kenji loves it, and Kenji is god). Any trip reports of its utility as a pizza stone? Tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

snyprmag posted:

I have the full size one and primarily use it for pizza and have only used the griddle side on the stove a few times.
If you are doing multiple pizzas, give it a good 5 minutes or so to get back to heat in between. Otherwise the later ones won't have as nice of coloring on the bottom.

Thanks! I am currently planning on (to start) trying the broiler-then-stovetop method, so I will ought to be okay.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Putting the pizza (on baking steel) under the broiler then moving the baking steel to the stove top to crisp up the bottom crust.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Just made pizza on the new baking steel for the first time tonight. Trip report: hell yes

Fake edit: used the Serious Eats NY style crust recipe and made my own sauce. I made 3 pizzas, and figured out after the first one that I need to lower the oven rack to avoid burning the cheese under the broiler before I get nice spots on the crust. Also, I really underestimated how much time the stone would need in the oven to heat back up between pizzas. ...And I think when I do this next time, I will let the dough cold ferment for 3 days instead of 1 if I can plan ahead far enough. But overall they were some delicious pies and I'm considering doing this again this weekend.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Does this thread have a favorite pizza peel? I am looking for a metal one with a relatively short handle.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Doom Rooster posted:

Any particular reason for a metal one? In my experience, wood is about a million times easier to launch off of, with way less flour. Below is the small wooden one that I used and loved.

https://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Royale...mboo+pizza+peel

Because I also need to use it to get pizzas off of the baking steel while it's still in the oven, which I imagine is much easier with a metal one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Hmm in that case, is there a significant advantage over using a large wooden cutting board I already own?