Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

here's my blender-and-done recipe:

28oz canned crushed tomatoes (I like Cento)
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp sugar
pinch dried basil
pinch dried oregano
1 tbsp Secret Aardvark habanero hot sauce

The Aardvark is key - just enough to to give a pleasant heat to the pizza. My toddler scarfs it down so I know the mixture isn't actually hot. Aardvark is tomato based so it doesn't shift the sauce's flavor profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Confession: i've been doing this for ~5 years, made somewhere around a thousand pizzas, and I've never really figured out hand stretching. I just use a rolling pin like a neanderthal. It gets the job done

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I haven't tried the shaping, when I do a cold rise I just have everything in one big bowl. I'll give it a shot.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Any suggestions for reasonably priced ovens that could fit on a small porch and be good for pizza and possibly other things? $100-$200 range? Trying to fill out a Christmas list.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Looking around i guess specialized ovens, even small ones, cost $$$. Guess i'll be content with my stone.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

real question is what arcade cabinets are you going to put in there

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I would end up donating a _lot_ to charity if this was available nearby. What brand of pepperoni do you use?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

After years of settling for Hormel pepperoni because it's pretty much what every store has, I decided to give Walmart brand a shot and... it might actually be an improvement? Seems to be a little less greasy and have a stronger flavor.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

would definitely pay money for that pepperoni

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Wife got me Modernist Pizza for Christmas. The price tag is absurd but, they are really nice books. Looking to step up my dough game first.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

First attempt at new dough: missed the yeast by an order of magnitude. Try again.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Made a couple of pizzas tonight using Modernist's basic NY style dough. It's a huge step up from my old whatever recipe, but I still had to pull out the rolling pin after failing at hand stretching. Again.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Historically my hand stretching problems are likely due to my old recipe being bad. This time around it was probably inexperience combined with the dough sitting out a little too long.

Modernist's recipe is 66% hydration and I used Anna Napoletana 00. We really liked it, I just gotta practice.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 18, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

SUCCESS! Turns out when you

1. use a good recipe,
2. use proper high-gluten flour,
3. develop the gluten properly and
4. shape the dough properly,

hand stretching is wildly simple. :v:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

oh yeah this is only my fifth or sixth... year... of pizza making. :v: It's dumb in hindsight but we were happy with the rolling pin'd circles so I never rocked the boat.

it was perfectly shaped when I made it, still getting used to launching from my new, larger metal peel.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Grocery shopping this morning, apparently Walmart has generic Great Value brand whole milk low moisture mozzarella. The deli didn't have anything fancier so I'm going to give the cheap stuff a shot.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Man I can't compete in this thread at 550F. Need to get myself a dedicated pizza oven.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

That's what I've been using for the last several weeks and it's ace. Huge improvement over standard bread flour.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ooni 12" is smaller than I want, 16" is more than I need and an extra $200

where are the good and reasonably priced 14" ovens

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

How do smaller pizza places handle supply and demand when fresh dough takes 1-2 days to prep? You can get into a groove and know your typical traffic, but what happens if you suddenly have an extra 50 customers one night? 'We're out, sorry'? Is there a secret NY style rapid recipe?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Welp now I'm thinking going from stone to steel might be a more reasonable step than stone to ooni.

edit
aaaaaaand ordered a Speed Steel XL.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 17, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

ogopogo posted:

Then you're going to get a hair brained dream to open a pizza restaurant (don't do this!).

it's too late man I've already been vaguely wondering what it would take to run a pizza cart at the local ballpark

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Did a test run for lunch today, heating the stone at 550 then switching to broiler right before the pizza went in. The top darkened nicely after 5 minutes. Definitely going to continue down this path when the steel shows up.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Steel arrived in time for Sunday pizza and holy crap

Hands down the best pizza I've ever made. My wife and I were legitimately blown away. As I was cleaning up, I threw my stone of 5 years in the trash.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Made pizza for my boy's birthday party today. Cranked out 5 of them in about an hour, that's the most I've ever done at once. Everybody loved it, pizza steel doin' work.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

FINALLY found a convenient source for cupping style pepperoni: Kroger chain stores carry Hormel Cup n Crisp. I got excited and bought 6 bags.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Haven't tried Boar's Head but I've seen it. I'll try it if this Hormel stuff doesn't satisfy. I bought a different fancy pepperoni log thing once and I honestly found slicing it to be a real pain. I'd much rather have pre-sliced.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Used the Hormel Cup and Crisp for tonight's pizza and welp, they absolutely do the thing, but we didn't like the taste very much. I'll try Boar's Head next if I can find it presliced.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I cut corners where I can. I derive quantifiable benefit from making the dough and sauce and hand grating cheese, but I can get perfectly good presliced pepperoni and save myself some bandwidth.

There's logic to it, even if it's stupid logic :v:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Local stores carry presliced Boars Head for the same $/oz as the stick, so consider this gnat strained :smug:

got some dough prepping for a test pizza tomorrow.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

time for some PEPPERONI OPINIONS from my wife and I. This is for NY style, cooked on steel in a 550F kitchen oven.

6. Armour
Weak all around.

5. Hormel
Noticeably greasy and poor flavor.

4. Hormel Cup and Crisp
It cups, it crisps... it still has the grease and flavor problems of the regular version.

3. Bridgford
Excessively seasoned. Overpowering salt and spice. Good in small amounts.

2. Boar's Head
Decent but not as good as #1.

1. Great Value
Walmart wins for us, hands down. Best flavor and texture; the price and availability are just bonuses. It doesn't really cup but it does crisp.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I use semolina on a steel peel, and I use flour during stretching to take care of the really sticky parts. Then I shake a bit as I load up the pizza, and use a spatula under stubborn places.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've never seen a recipe that recommends up to 10 days in the fridge. That seems like a lot of fermenting.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Did another family party tonight. Six 14" pizzas, which is my biggest bake yet. It was cool but I don't think I'll be doing that much again anytime soon.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Steel users, how often do you need to scour and re-season? I've had mine for less than 2 months and it looks like rust spots are already developing.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

How often do you clean yours? I scrub with warm water (no soap) and towel dry after each use. Maybe that's too much?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Makes sense. I'll reseason and do things differently in the future.

Edit: starting to wonder about the instructions for this steel. They're telling me to use flaxseed oil for seasoning because it has a high smoke point. Which is, uh, not true.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 11, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah that looks pretty good.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

So this is your building and you're leasing part of it? Hope you've got room for some arcade cabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

oh man I'll take that third one