Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yeah, there's no reason not to. You can leave it in even when youre not cooking pizza on it, it will be a thermal regulator which helps control temperature swings when you open the door for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I also find that parcooking the crust makes it significantly easier to slide a fully dressed pizza off the peel.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Metal all the way

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

First pizza I've made with all white flour in a long time. Celebrating my new 25 lb. sack of high-gluten flour. So excited.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Dough hydration tests, since my new scale just arrived. I've been working with high gluten flour for about 4 months by feel alone, and it turns out that I've been making a ~59% hydration dough. Have 63% and 67% in the fridge now for testing soon.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Squashy Nipples posted:

the traditional choice is coarse cornmeal.
:colbert: Semolina is way better

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If it's colder than room temp, let it sit for another hour or two. Also, you can stretch it, let it sit for 15 minutes to relax, and then stretch it some more.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nmfree posted:

If the dough is snapping back on you instead of trying to force it into shape just put it down for 5 minutes to let it relax, then work it some more.

This sounds like a technique/experience problem, but if it is a dough formulation issue, you could add 1% garlic powder to the dough. It does an enzyme thing.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Heners_UK posted:

Think it's worth doing even if it is experience? Also, how does it affect the taste? Sounds great?

Taste effect is minimal, snapback effect is pretty amazing. Definitely worth trying a batch with and without it just to see the difference in slackness. I use it in my standard recipe and dont anticipate going back anytime soon.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

double post

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 17, 2015

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Happiness Commando posted:

This sounds like a technique/experience problem, but if it is a dough formulation issue, you could add 1% garlic powder to the dough. It does an enzyme thing.

I just checked my recipe and its .1%, not 1%. Might be the taste difference between me and Killer robot. I remember searching through the pizzamaking.com forums before settling on that number, but I just found this post by Lehmann which says the following

quote:

Jeff;
All of our research has shown that about 0.25% of either garlic powder, onion powder, or a combined blend of the two will give the desired reducing effect. This is the reason why we suggest keeping the combined onion/garlic level to not more than 0.15% of the total flour weight when you don't want to experience the reducing effect.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've been asking metal shops around me to make a 1/4" steel, but either they want an exorbitant amount of money to descale it, or they don't descale at all. Does anyone know how important it is?, or am I stuck buying an $80 Modernist Cuisine one?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Heners_UK posted:

How much money would you be saving?

1/4" x 14" x 15" for $35. $5 for a bus tub equivalent from goodwill and $5 for citric acid or naval jelly is half price

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Dialing in my old recipe for a new flour. Old was Pilsbury high gluten flour, new is Gold's better for bread flour. This was 58% hydration which was too low. I'm going to bump it back up to 60% and take out the oil to help with over slackness.

It's a shame my new oven doesnt get nearly as hot as my old oven though. Old one went to 550 and was calibrated low so it was probably 575+. This one only goes to 500 and may be accurate, not sure. But theres definitely a noticeable difference.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

3 euros a kilo sounds equivalent to what I paid for a new 3/8" steel from a local metal shop in the US. It's probably fine if its stainless, if its the kind of steel that could rust you would just have to scrub the gently caress out of it and then season it, but I guess that would work.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You do want it pickled and oiled, otherwise it will come with mill scale - which you have to pickle to get off, and oil to keep off. Just give it a really good scrubbing with a soapy stainless scrubby and then bake it on high with oil to season it

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

A light coating of flour on the dough ball prior to shaping it and semolina on the peel has worked for me up to 62% hydration(I've never gone higher) and I haven't had any problems with it coating the bottom and interfering with browning. Also, I've never found too much flour to interfere with browning, how much are you using, are you using a stone/steel, and are you turning your oven up to nuclear degrees?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

When I do cast iron pan pizza, I really like the crust quality that comes from putting the pan on the stovetop on high for 3-5 minutes before popping it in the oven

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Welp the distributor I got my high gluten flour from recently instituted a $100 minimum order. I'm not willing to buy 250 pounds of flour at a time. Guess it's back to bread flour until I can find someone in the industry to hook me up :(

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Happiness Commando posted:

Guess it's back to bread flour until I can find someone in the industry to hook me up :(

I found a distributor that does "no-minimum Fridays". Emailed asking about ~14% protein high gluten flour and was told to come on by. I show up and their 25 pound sack of high-gluten flour is 12.5% protein - the bag is labelled "bread flour". Their 50 pound sack just says "red winter wheat" and a quick phone call later I find out its 12%.

Stopped by a pizza shop on my way home, walked out with 50 pounds of legit high gluten flour from a local mill for half of what I would have paid for the 25 pound sack of bread flour

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Bagheera posted:

Tips for a pizza party? I'm throwing a dinner party for 6-8 friends. I plan to have dough balls ready along with a "pizza bar" with different sauce, cheese, toppings, and finishers. Each person gets to make their own 12" pizza, which we all share as they come out of the oven.

I think you're going overboard, and if that's what you want, its totally cool.

When I do pizza parties, unless there are some ideas or tastes I really want to explore, I supply one red sauce, a bunch of full fat mozz, and the toppings that I want or already have in the pantry. Everyone is told to BYO toppings and its usually the normal ones you expect - spinach/arugula, mushrooms, peppers, sausage - but sometimes people get creative - we did a fig/prosciutto once and a brisket pizza that was pretty drat good.

Lately we've been doing ~8" personals on a 150 gram 62% doughball but in the past I did 14" group pizzas on a 375 gram ball. Some friends liked the group pizzas more because it exposed them to topping combinations they otherwise wouldnt have tried.

Edit: And depending on my mood I'll make a Chicago style deep dish for everyone to share in addition to my preferred NY thin crust

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have the same problem, and I use the broiler drawer. I've been thinking about a second steel, but I find that the broiler drawer produces fine results, it's just incrementally more annoying to move the pizza around.

Fake edit: I also parbake my crusts

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

wormil posted:

2. My dough shrinks after I press it out, kinda frustrating. But thickness was fine when it cooked.

Technique helps. So does garlic powder.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nwin posted:

I might have missed it but I didn’t see how much he suggested to add.

Lehmann suggests not more than .15% of both onion and garlic. I do .1% of just garlic and it makes a noticeable difference.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

sirbeefalot posted:

These aren't usually as photogenic as the NP and NY pies, but I was pretty impressed with this.

Absolute unit.

I want to know everything there is about this pizza. I'll settle for the recipe, dough weight, diameter, and time/temp please.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

^^ Them's fightin' words. My Cuisinart does an excellent job of kneading the dough, and made it significantly easier and faster for me to have pizza frequently before I got a mixer.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've never done a side-by-side, and I'm using a different oven now than I was when I was using the Cuisinart. The quality of the dough balls was just as high, IMO, in terms of texture and gluten development. As to "better job", well, 60 seconds of kneading a two dough ball batch (~.5 Kg) was too much in the Cuisinart. I do a 5 ball batch in the Bosch now, and let it go for 5-7 minutes.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have the DLC 10S Pro. Amazon claims it's 7 cup. I still recommend it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I just moved into an apt with gas oven and it's my first bottom broiler. Could you expand?

I would also like to know. I've settled on parbaking my crusts, then cooking the pizza, then finishing under the bottom broiler for a minute, but it's definitely less than ideal

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I made pizza at Burning Man, and let me tell you two things:

1) The forno bravo 24" oven is loving heavy and also not as large as one would hope
2) It is loving hard to use wood pellets as fuel and get enough combustion and also not char the gently caress out of the crust

I used a modified high-yeast low-hydration Lehmann dough (58%) cooked on pizza screens to make the workflow easier. We got 11 stars on yelp and multiple people told us that waiting in line for over an hour for a single slice of a 14" pie was the high point of their week at Burning Man and/or the best pizza they've ever had.

We have a lot of great crowd reaction photos that I'm a little uncomfortable posting here.

In general, I had an excellent if overworked experience and would do it again in a heartbeat provided I had a larger camp with more experienced support people.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I saw many beautiful boobies. Burning man is a gifting economy, though, none of it was for pizza.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I can't find the SAF stuff the recipe recommends
You can get SAF on Amazon

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I don't think I've ever made a grandma pie before, so I fixed that. I let it go a little long, but it still turned out delicious.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I had that same question and then I just bought some pizza boxes from a local restaurant supply shop.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The food processor is just a way of kneading faster. You can use Kenji's recipe and knead by hand if you want.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Plenty of people in the comments are using this steel from Amazon for $30 and there are a variety of sizes from that seller (don't go thinner than 1/4", IMO). As long as there's no scale, just give it a good soap and water scrub and then season it like you would cast iron before using.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If you are literally considering dropping a thousand bucks just to save yourself the trouble of finding a local metal shop and paying at most $150 for a 17" square of 3/8" hot rolled A36 you are undeniably crazy.

Edit: A plate that thick would probably weigh 50 pounds (?). Maybe go 1/4"

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

They're talking about initial setup of the steel, not ongoing maintenance. If it has mill scale on it, you need to descale it with vinegar, then clean and season it so it doesn't rust. If it has sharp edges from the shop, you might want to file them down.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Just a plain ol pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Reynold posted:

Looks good! What seasoning do you use?
This was dried basil and oregano (on top of what's in the sauce) and two different local pepper blends. The smokey one is so good.