Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

From the OP

Casu Marzu posted:

Today, I did a pizza dough that was raised overnight in the fridge. I found this to be a lot more workable when trying for that really thin pie, as well as having much more flavor.

I tried making that pizza last night, followed the directions as close as possible (used weights of everything instead of cups, tablespoons, etc.)

Anyways, after it had stayed in the fridge overnight, I took it out the next day and followed the directions. Couple questions.

1) How many pieces are you supposed to cut this into? The OP didn't specify, but given that you end up with 5" in diameter by about 1/2" thick, I was guessing four pizza crusts?

2) I made them into little disc and let them rest for 2 hours with a bit of olive oil and flour on top, covered with saran wrap. When I went to start making the pie, they were incredibly thin with zero effort on my part. When I scraped them off the counter top initially and put them on my knuckles, they were already spreading way too thin and I was done within 5 seconds, if that. Any more would have made the dough tear.

3) Also, I used a pizza sauce I found in this thread that worked great, and then I was using some balls of mozzarella. Huge mistake. WAY too much water came from the mozzarella which resulted in a pizza with lots of liquid coming out. How do I work around the moisture in the cheese? Do I press it like tofu first? Buy another kind of cheese?

So, the first pizza came out pretty well, but because it was so thin, it tore going from the peel to the stone (yes, corn flour was underneath), so it made a bit of mess on my stone. Honestly, this one turned out the best in terms of taste, it just didn't have enough toppings on it (couldn't put much on due to how thin it was).

The next pizza I tried combining two of the crusts. Huge mistake.. I was able to fit more on the pizza, but it wouldn't spread out well, perhaps I was too impatient to let it rest for 10 minutes so it would let me work with it more, but it came out WAY too thick.

The final pizza started tearing right away, so in an effort to fix that, it turned out to be a mess.

It still tasted great, but man...I guess I gotta keep working at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just tried my hand at making pizza again, with some pretty great success. I've made it before but the cheese was always way too runny and the dough came out very thick, but this time I tried this no-knead recipe and the skillet/broiler method.

It came out really well but noticed a few things:

1) The crust was a bit too thin for our liking.

2) We only made enough for one pizza (divided the recipe by 4), but it was way too small...if we use that recipe next time, we'll have to make two pizzas.

3) The sauce was a bit too thin for my liking...my wife didn't mind it, but I'd like it a bit thicker if possible. All I did was take 4 tomatoes from the can of san marzano I had, and pureed them with 2 basil leaves, salt, and some oregano.

Other than that, it was perfect. I definitely like the skillet to broiler method.

Any ideas on crusts that might be a bit thicker? I suppose I could just not roll it out as thin as I did this time and cook it a bit longer.

Also, I can only find san marzano tomatoes in the huge-fuckoff 28 oz cans. Obviously I don't need the whole can for a pizza. Will an open can of these covered with foil last for a week maybe?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MisterOblivious posted:

Yes and no. Tomatoes and open cans don't get along. You need to transfer those out of the can and into another container. They should last the week in different sealed container.

Neapolitan style is thin crust and every time I've had one it's been a single serving pizza. 3c flour is generally what I use for a 14" "thick crust" pizza.

Would a Tupperware container suffice?

Also, I only used 4 oz of flour for that dough, so yeah...definitely not enough for two people. We were hungry pretty much right after dinner.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there anything I can do so a huge piece of cheese doesn't slide off the pizza slice as I take a bite, leaving only some sauce and crust behind?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Walk Away posted:

What kind of cheese are you using? What other toppings?

I used a ball of mozzarella from the store. Can't remember the brand, maybe Bellagia or something? It was $4/8oz. I cut it into cubes and then pressed it to get moisture out of it.

I didn't let it cool though. How long should you let the pizza rest after taking it out?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Just curious, have you tried using other types of sauce instead of tomato? I love a pesto pizza, for example.

This. I need to do this.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, so what recipe start to finish did you use on that? That looks loving perfect.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

agentseven posted:

This is where I am right at the moment:

For tomato sauce:
One can of peeled tomatoes
1.5 tsp garlic salt w/parsley

For yeast:
60g lukewarm water
1tsp dry active yeast
1/2 tsp sugar

For dough:
225g bread flour
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
80g water

Put tomatoes and garlic salt in the blender, blend until mostly broken up (with some small chunks). Refrigerate for at least an hour, stir.

Stir yeast ingredients, allow to foam (5-10 minutes)
Mix all ingredients plus yeast mixture in stand mixer with dough hook
Knead 15 minutes
Let sit for 15 minutes, covered
Mix one final minute
Round dough
Cover, allow to sit to rise for 1 hour
Punch down, round dough again
Cover and allow a final rise for 1 hour

Heat up oven to 500F, allow it to sit for 30 minutes with the stone in it at this temp.

To shape, put dough round in a dusting of flour, form a crust by poking with four fingers all the way around, then press the center down, then stretch carefully to about 14-16 inches.

Put dough on a peel dusted with corn meal
Apply toppings (thin layer of sauce, shredded part-skim mozzarella (8 oz) and a sprinkling of dried oregano followed by whatever toppings. Brush melted butter on the crust

Shimmy the peel to make sure the pizza is loose enough to slide onto the stone
Shimmy the pizza onto the pizza stone
Should cook within 10 minutes, turn the broiler on high when it starts to get golden, maybe 5 or 6 minutes in until it gets a burny sheen
Trying that this weekend. Thanks! One thing I noticed...you dont refrigerate the dough at all, correct?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tenchrono posted:

So I did the no mixer dough recipe on the first page, I didn't have enough flour so I used the Soy Flour and some premade pretzel dough from a box along with a bit of vital wheat gluten. The dough is really sticky so I just put pam on my hands and went to work.

Pre-cubed ham
Pork Chop
a block of mozzarella
I didn't have pizza sauce so I just used Tostitos salsa instead.
I was going to put some egg whites on there but I forgot :smith:
It turned out pretty good, I didn't make it on the metal sheet pan I had a pizza stone.
Holy poo poo this sounds like some crazy substitution you would find on allrecipes.com with a 1 star rating because it tasted like poo poo even though you didn't follow the posted recipe.

Seriously though, you used salsa instead of tomato sauce? Did you use the premade dough and then just add soy flour and wheat gluten to it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but how did you do that dough? Did you take a pre made dough and just mix in the soy flour/vital wheat gluten? Wouldn't that have dried the gently caress out of the dough, making it way less stickier? Or did you add water to it as well?

So many questions...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

the littlest prince posted:

I like the frankenpizza and think it looks delicious.

I just went back and re-read that. Apparently I missed the part where he threw a pork chop on there. :wtc:

Edit: Trying out agent's pizza recipe today. Just got done kneading it and now it's resting for the first hour. I'm a bit nervous I'm going to fail at stretching the dough out. Everytime I've tried in the past it always gets WAY too thin in certain spots and ends up breaking/or it's too thin in spots that I put the sauce and cheese on and it tears when I slide it off the peel...

nwin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 4, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, using Agentseven's method:

It came out pretty good, but I still need some advice to perfect it, see where things went wrong.

I failed at making a decent crust. This dough was VERY easy to stretch by hand which I liked, but I couldn't get the crust part correct. Using my four fingers and making the ring around the circle of dough didn't seem to work...I was pinching so it seemed really thin. Ideas?

Some of the parts of the pizza were the perfect thickness, others were too thick, which made me feel like I was eating bread almost when it got too thick. I think the pizza was big enough...I could maybe go a bit bigger, but it was already almost the size of the peel.

For the cheese, I didn't use the whole bag. It seemed to have good coverage and I probably had about 1-2 ounces left. I was worried about making the pie too heavy where it wouldn't slide off the peel...next time I'll be sure to use the whole bag.

It cooked pretty quickly actually. Maybe 7-8 minutes before I pulled it? That's with 1 minute of having the broiler on high. I preheated my oven as high as it would go (it's a very old model that says 500 is the highest before it goes to broiler) for about 45 minutes.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it. Just need to work on that crust and the thinness of it. It still takes a backseat to my no-knead recipe that uses AP flour and then I cook using a cast iron skillet, popping it under the broiler, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Curious, why did he suggest using the bread flour as opposed to AP?

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 5, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

agentseven posted:

Well hey, that looks pretty good. I'm guessing your oven is hotter than mine... I think yours may have gone a bit too far but of course, you were expecting ten minutes based on what I said.

No I think it's the right size. It just takes practice. You have to get good at stretching it over both your hands and turning it around so that the crust you created stays somewhat intact while you stretch. Also... did you butter the crust? It's kind of a pain in the rear end but it really makes a difference. If you're terrified of the peel like I used to be, a corn meal sprinkle on the peel really is like magic. It's like putting the fucker on ball bearings.

When you say bag, do you mean pre-shredded? Because that stuff doesn't melt right what with all the corn starch. Shred your own block cheese for SURE. Huge difference.

It's what Varasano suggested. I've never tried it with AP but I've been so pleased with the ease of stretching and the feel of the dough that I've never bothered trying.

I did butter the crust, but again, I was worried about the peel not working correctly and didn't want to accidently get butter on the peel, thus causing the dough to stick to the peel...as you can tell, I've had peel problems in the past! I used a heavy dosing of corn meal, and it slid off no problem though! Next time I'll definitely put more butter on the crust.

As for the cheese, I misunderstood your recipe. I've been taking the 8 oz balls of mozzarella you can get at a grocery store, and cutting that into cubes and then pressing it between two plates with paper towels to get some of the moisture out of it. When your recipe said shredded part-skim mozz, I figured you were using bagged, so I found a bag that said part-skim and bought it. How do you shred mozzarella? It seems like it would be incredibly too soft to shred.

Thanks again for the advice and if anything, it's just an excuse for me to try it again later this week! Pizza has seriously become a normal rotation in my dinner menu. It used to count as our take-out thing for the week that we would get, but all the pizza I'm making is coming out way better than any chain ever did!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah ha, good to know! Another awesome thing about pizza is I already have the majority of ingredients around, I just need to get some cheese now and I'm good to go!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Today is the day I hate my pizza stone and my oven.

I made a great pizza today...the dough, sauce, toppings, everything was looking great.

I fired up the oven and let it sit at 550 for an hour to make sure it was good to go and cranked the broiler on high.

Slid the pizza on and thought 'poo poo, that looks juuuuust on the edge of the steel, but it should be fine.'

Let it cook a few minutes and went to move it. First time under the steel just pushed the pizza back further. Tried to grab it with some tongs but it was too far back.

I think I should have just let it cook with 1/4 of it hanging off the edge, but I dunno how I would get it out of there like that, so one final attempt and the pizza slid straight down the back of the loving oven.

We had take out for dinner. And beer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What's everyone's go to recipe for a pizza sauce?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm having trouble with pizza and I think it's my oven.

I have a 3/8" pizza steel and a gas oven-last week I let it preheat for 1.5 hours at 500(max setting) and I barely got any browning on the bottom.

Would the oven temp be the only problem here or could dough composition play a role?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

angor posted:

What position was the steel in inside the oven? How long did your pizzas take to cook? If the steel was quite high, you might be better off moving it down closer to the bottom so the top cooks a little slower and has more time to sit on the steel.
It was at the top of the oven under the broiler-what I've been doing is letting it preheat for 1-1.5 hours, then I open the door and crank the broiler on high and slide the pizza in. It usually cooks for 5-8 minutes. The top comes out great, it's just the bottom that needs work.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FogHelmut posted:

Tried grilling in my Weber. A chimney full of charcoal gets me upwards of 600 dome temp for steaks. I did the same but with the stone. After 20 minutes it's still at 450. Any tips for grill pizza?

Look at Kenjis method for grilled pizza-just straight in the grates. It comes out pretty good, but not completely like normal pizza.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

For those that have a new wave petite pizzeria oven-how hot does it make the kitchen? Really wanting pizza but not wanting to heat the whole house up during the summer. I can only grill so many pizzas.

Also, my girlfriend likes sauce on her pizza so not the neopolitan kind that I like where it's just light dollops of sauce. She likes New York style pizza.

Any recommendations on dough and sauce that will hold up to the grilling method given the above info?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

clockworx posted:

Barely at all. The surface gets quite hot so I like to make sure it is somewhere safe, but it doesn't feel like it is heating up the whole place.

Good to know-thanks!

I'm curious how it compares to this as well:

Pizzacraft PC0601 Pizzeria Pronto Stovetop Pizza Oven https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJJ05ZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DrfFxb8AQ2MP3

Looks like this could be pretty good, but I do move around a bit so I know I'll never be limited by electricity, but could be limited in if I move to a place with a gas stove or not.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Whole milk low moisture mozz is what you need. I use Boar's Head because that's the only kind I can easily get around here, but I started using it after reading that the whole milk part is whats important for new york style pies. It melts better (stringier or something?) than skim based mozz.

Yep, get a brick of it and I slice it so it looks like half a slice of American cheese from the deli if that makes sense. Either way will work, but the way I do it is easier since you have a larger piece to hold onto as you cut it. I learned that from the pizzamaking.com forums and it's really helped.

I can't help on brands, as I'm still experimenting and don't have a favorite, but definitely whole milk low moisture.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've seen small 16 oz blocks for sale at most grocery stores.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

clockworx posted:

In case someone is interested, there's a decent deal on one of the countertop "clamshell" electric pizza ovens on eBay. $27 shipped and listed as New condition.

See my earlier posts in this thread for more info on modification and some pies I've made. My opinion is that these things are unbeatable short of a full-blown outdoor oven setup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292098348828

EDIT:

Relisted for $24 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pizza-Bella-Maker-/292108276971

Purchased. I figure for $24, why not.

I made some pizza last night that might be my best one yet using a lovely gas oven and a recipe from the pizzamaking forums. Only problem I'm still having is getting the dough stretched out thin enough. It's tough to stretch it out uniform and I keep getting some parts thicker than others.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 6, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Recommendations for a good wood pizza peel? It will be used for building the pizza and transferring to the oven. I've got an aluminum already to take the pie out once it's done.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I was thinking of that, but I don't know if it would work with my setup. I have the baking steel on the top rack of the oven and I don't think I would have enough room for my hand to be able to slide it off the peel.

Just a traditional wooden one is probably more in my wheelhouse.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

I used this guy before needing to get a longer handle after buying the WFO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0137CVKCY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slid really easily, felt good in the hand.

That's the one I was looking at, actually.

Only thing is the size-seems kinda small. I was making 14" pizzas in the gas oven and 12" on my deni pizza Bella electric, so the peel would work fine for the electric oven, but I'd have to use smaller dough for the gas oven...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FogHelmut posted:

Are you making the dough into a ball and letting it rest before shaping? Round dough makes a round pizza.

Also, Manco & Manco in Ocean City, NJ has the thinnest crust around. If you watch them make it, they stack two doughs and stretch it thin, then peel them apart for two super ultra thin crusts. I can't find a decent YouTube, but there might be a video out there.

So with my dough...I'm trying something new.

There's a recipe on chef steps on making bagels and it explains how to round dough. I hadn't been doing that in the past-just kneading it into a ball. I'm hopeful that rounding it like that and letting it rest for 2-3 hours will help. At this point I think it will be trying to get everything uniform, as before rounding I would have 1/4 pizza rolled out great and 3/4 too thick so we will see.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

aw gently caress-an early wedding present. Time to grab an extra propane tank and see what this thing is made of!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

Nice! Definitely let us know how it works out, and post pics! I've seen some crazy great pizzas out of the Blackstone. They've got a tendency to overheat the stone vs temp coming down the from the top. Try it out per normal instructions, but if you end up getting black bottoms, the first thing to try is to heat it up to 700ish, toss a pie on and THEN crank it up to full blast so the top's getting max heat while the stone buffers.

Thanks for the tips! I've been reading the pizzamaking.com forums, but their one sole thread dedicated to the oven goes back several years, and apparently many of the earlier complaints have been fixed, so I'll just have to try it out as intended and then adjust from there. I plan on just buying some dough this weekend to try out and then making my own for some neopolitan pizzas later in the week. Oh god, so much pizza is going to happen.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So in preps for using the blackstone, I'm just going to buy some pizza dough tomorrow for some NY style pizzas. My plan is to preheat the oven, turn it down when I drop the pizzas in, then crank at the end to cook the top well.

However, I'm going to pick up some caputo flour and try some NP pizzas, but the pizzamaking forums aren't giving me many direct, exact recipes. Doom rooster or ogopogo or anyone else care to chime in? I don't have to make the NP tomorrow, so if it needs to cold ferment for a few days or whatever, then no problem.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

Yup, sure thing. The standard NP dough ratio is more or less:

Makes ~6 x 9oz balls

1000g flour
630g water
25g salt
5g dry active yeast

My method:

Take 100g of your water at room temp, all the yeast and a pinch of flour, mix it in a little cup. Let sit for 15 minutes. This is just to make sure your dry yeast is still alive. It should get frothy on top.

Put the remaining water in your mixer with the dough hook, dump in the flour and salt, then pour the yeasty water over the top. Mix for like 30 seconds until totally combined. Let it it in the mixer for 30 minutes. Then turn the mixer on low, and give it about 10 minutes. If the ball is already looking nice and smooth and elastic, great, you're done! If it needs longer, let it go longer. After it's done needing, take out the dough hook, and cuck the mixer bowl covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for 2-3 days.

At least 8 hours before you want to make the pizzas, take the dough out, chop off sections that are 9oz each. You can totally add or remove little chunks to hit the 9oz mark. Once you have the dough portioned, do a quick little 20 second knead on each of them, then form into balls. and put onto whatever tray/dough box you are using and put them all back in the fridge. Take them out about 45 minutes before you want to put your first pizza in the oven.

Notes:

The 30 minute sit is not REQUIRED, but it will give you better/faster gluten building.

I live in Texas, and my house stays around 80 degrees inside. If your house is colder, take the dough balls out a little earlier.

You want to avoid your dough going above 85f while making it. It makes the dough way stickier, and kicks the yeast into high gear which you don't want for a cold ferment. Due to the hot house thing, 100g of my water is always actually ice cubes that I melt into the rest of the water to cool it way down and my 30 minute wait is done in the fridge. If your house is cooler than 72ish, don't worry about either.

The above recipe is a 63% hydration dough, which is on the lower end of NP (60-70 is typical). Higher hydration is almost always better, but every % is exponentially more of a pain in the rear end to work with. 63% is still great, but easier to work with. If you get really comfortable and into it, feel free to start upping the hydration.

You can try to scale down the recipe to make fewer than 6 skins, but your mixer may not do a good job kneading with a small batch. You may need to hand knead a smaller batch to get any gluten.

Any questions you have, we are here for you!

This is perfect-thank you!

I was going to ask about scaling, but I figure I'll have a few gently caress-ups starting out, so I might as well make the total recipe to start...plus I thought about my mixer not having enough to grab, so I want to eliminate as many variables as possible. I live in New England with air conditioning, usually around 72 degrees, so I should hopefully be good there. I've worked with high hydration dough before, and it's a pain in the rear end, so if I can keep this on the lower side of things, then all the better.

Regarding putting all the dough balls in the fridge once I've separated them-I don't have a proofing box and have just used small deli containers, which I'm assuming will work.

Also-how big of a pizza do those balls make-12 or 13" I'm guessing?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

And yes, NP pizza making is so strict on tradition, that "make the crust bigger" is all it takes to be newsworthy, and "the bad boy, breaking the rules" of NP pizza.

That makes so much sense now-while looking at the pizzamaking forums, if you go into the "New York style" subforum, there's a million recipes, so that's what I was expecting when I went into the NP forum, since I started out on the New York style part of the site. In the NP forum, there's one stickied thread from this dude that must have done his thesis on NP pizza, and went on for pages about where it comes from and how it's up to each individual to come up with their own recipe based on a general style.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I think my mixer hates me:

A few notes. My house is currently 75 degrees with 40% humidity. I did the thirty minute rest and used room temp water. The dough never got above 80 degrees measured at the end of the mix.

I mixed for about 12 minutes and then the dough started riding way up into the mixer as pictured. I knocked it down a few times and tried to hand knead it, but it just kept happening, so it's in the fridge right now for a few days. I'm not sure how much smoother or elastic it could have gotten since it's my first try.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tried out the Blackstone for the second time. The first time, I just grabbed some dough from the store and made some NY style pizzas, but they weren't worth posting at all. I definitely should have scaled the dough down because one of their balls of dough was probably enough for one 20" pie, but I was trying to make it a 14" pie and it kinda worked/kinda didn't. Learned a bit about the oven though!

Last night I used the dough from Doom Rooster's recipe. It was pretty easy to work with, but I ended up putting all the dough balls on a baking sheet and pulled them all out at the same time...the last two were very hard to work with since they were starting to get pretty sticky and stretch out a bit more than the others.

Here's the best two of the bunch, though I'm not too proud of either of them. The first picture was the last pie I made. I think I did better at stretching this one out (minus the fact that it is not a circle...we'll call it artisanal) but I think the cheese got overcooked. As it cooled down, it looked a bit better and tasted better. The second picture was my third pie I made. I don't think that was stretched out well at all, due to huge air pockets showing up and making a large crust. Also way too much sauce. First try making NP style pizzas, and my thoughts are:

A) The dough is fairly easy to work with, but I have a hard time pressing the air bubbles out of the crust. I was using the method that the guy in this video does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4lL5I-UYbk&t=127s but lots of bubbles were popping up on the crust. The first pie I let go into the oven just with bubbles and all, but one of them popped up way too huge (about 3" high) and caught on fire pretty quick, so that was a dud.

B) Finding the right amount of sauce to put on the pizza is pretty difficult. When I tried using less sauce, the crust seemed to be too thin and the sauce dried out in places. But in the second picture, I think there was too much sauce, which leads me to...

C) The center of the dough was often not cooked as well as the rest of the pizza. I'm not sure if the stone wasn't pre-heated enough on some of them, or if I had too much sauce which inhibited the cooking process. I'd let the pie rest for a few minutes, then cut into it, but most of the time the end of the pizza would look not as cooked, or soggy, compared to the rest of it.

D) Definitely a balance in using this oven. On pies that I left the oven running at full blast, the top had some nice leoparding, but then just didn't stop cooking. I think the best thing to do is preheat it 10-15 minutes, then slide the pie in, and drop down to low...adjust as necessary to ensure a good cheese melt at the end.

E) Definitely need to figure out a better way to have everything prepped out and ready. I had my sauce and cheese inside the house, along with all the dough balls, and I was making those and shaping the pizzas out one at a time, then cooking one, and while it rested before I cut it, I'd prep the next dough ball. I got to the fourth pizza and was going a little crazy from running back and forth. My poor wife was trying to eat a slice of each one and tell me what was good and bad with them, but I was just focused on getting another one in the oven. Next time I think I'll do less dough balls or try and take more time in between each one.

So questions....

1) What's a good sauce amount to use? Am I correct in thinking I put too much sauce on that pizza in the second picture?

2) When should I put the cheese on? Some videos say to cook the pizza with just sauce at first, and then take it out and add the cheese and other toppings. It seems like in the first picture, the cheese was on too long, or the pizza just overcooked.

3) Methods for getting the huge air pockets out of the crust on the edge?

4) What do you think are the reasons for the center not cooking as much,. or appearing more soggy, then the rest of the pizza?

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 27, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ogopogo posted:

Those look pretty loving great man! The air in the edge of the crust is a desired feature, nothing to try and get rid of. As Ola said, you don't need much sauce at all for a neapolitan pizza. Cheese should go on with everything else at the same time for sure. Otherwise I think you're looking good. Like you said, setting up your mise en place and having a workflow for building/firing/serving pizzas goes a long way in reducing the "pizza serious" face that can happen when you get way too focused and your partner is wondering why you look like a madman who hates it all.

Haha, I appreciate all the compliments-I'm my own worst critic. I know the bubbles are a desired feature and pieces that have those are usually the ones I head for first. The reason I was asking is because the first ball I pressed out, there was a rather large air bubble that showed up, which didn't seem like a big deal to me. Then when I put it in the oven, it immediately expanded maybe 3-5 times it's original size, which I thought looked cool, but a bit big. Then it got near the flame and immediately caught fire-which didn't look at all cool. When I was watching that guy's videos, I didn't see any of his outer crust have the size of air pockets that mine did, so I was wondering if maybe I should press them out to get them to look more like his-glad to see that's not the case!

I'll keep in mind the sauce. I'll I did was take an immersion blender to a can of Cento peeled San Marzanos, and added a bit of salt and basil to it, but it seemed VERY watery. I guess next time I'll drain some of the juice off the top prior to using the blender? I didn't blend long-just short bursts to chop up each tomato.

And you hit the nail on the head with taking it too serious. I was trying to just crank them out one after the other like I was feeding a small army, when I really should have taken my time and let the grill heat up or cool down as needed so we could wait for the next one to start cooking.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

first try using my own NY dough recipe on the black stone.

Cooked it maybe 30 seconds too long in my opinion and the dough didn't seem to taste the same as when I cooked on the pizza steel, where it didn't appear this cooked. I'm wondering if cooking it this much would affect the taste in that way? This time, it tasted a little more bland than on the steel, and I'm certain the ingredients were the same.

Regardless, I wouldn't kick this pizza out of bed. Pre-heated the grill on high for 10 minutes, landed the pizza, turned burner down to low for about 5 minutes. Ended up turning it off entirely because the top was starting to cook too much, and then I tried to kick it up to high to get some more browning on the crust-I'll watch it closer next time, but still happy with the results.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

Yup, sure thing. The standard NP dough ratio is more or less:

Makes ~6 x 9oz balls

1000g flour
630g water
25g salt
5g dry active yeast

My method:

Take 100g of your water at room temp, all the yeast and a pinch of flour, mix it in a little cup. Let sit for 15 minutes. This is just to make sure your dry yeast is still alive. It should get frothy on top.

Put the remaining water in your mixer with the dough hook, dump in the flour and salt, then pour the yeasty water over the top. Mix for like 30 seconds until totally combined. Let it it in the mixer for 30 minutes. Then turn the mixer on low, and give it about 10 minutes. If the ball is already looking nice and smooth and elastic, great, you're done! If it needs longer, let it go longer. After it's done needing, take out the dough hook, and cuck the mixer bowl covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for 2-3 days.

At least 8 hours before you want to make the pizzas, take the dough out, chop off sections that are 9oz each. You can totally add or remove little chunks to hit the 9oz mark. Once you have the dough portioned, do a quick little 20 second knead on each of them, then form into balls. and put onto whatever tray/dough box you are using and put them all back in the fridge. Take them out about 45 minutes before you want to put your first pizza in the oven.

Notes:

The 30 minute sit is not REQUIRED, but it will give you better/faster gluten building.

I live in Texas, and my house stays around 80 degrees inside. If your house is colder, take the dough balls out a little earlier.

You want to avoid your dough going above 85f while making it. It makes the dough way stickier, and kicks the yeast into high gear which you don't want for a cold ferment. Due to the hot house thing, 100g of my water is always actually ice cubes that I melt into the rest of the water to cool it way down and my 30 minute wait is done in the fridge. If your house is cooler than 72ish, don't worry about either.

The above recipe is a 63% hydration dough, which is on the lower end of NP (60-70 is typical). Higher hydration is almost always better, but every % is exponentially more of a pain in the rear end to work with. 63% is still great, but easier to work with. If you get really comfortable and into it, feel free to start upping the hydration.

You can try to scale down the recipe to make fewer than 6 skins, but your mixer may not do a good job kneading with a small batch. You may need to hand knead a smaller batch to get any gluten.

Any questions you have, we are here for you!

So I want to make this again, but freeze some of the dough so I don't have to make all the pizza at once. At what stage would you recommend freezing the balls?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

I'd say right after balling. When you want to use one, put it in the fridge for 8ish hours, then pull it out maybe like 90 minutes before. Play around with it and let us know how it goes, I'd be really interested to see your results.

Great thanks! Another question...

Is there anything stopping me from making the dough tonight, putting it in the fridge overnight, and then portioning it out to 9 oz portions tomorrow and then in the dough box for a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

Nope. That's how I used to do it every time. Comes out really well. I switched over to balling after 2-3 days cold batch fermenting, on the day of use though. I find the gluten to be less relaxed that way, so I get a little better rise in the oven.

If it's more convenient for you to ball, then ferment for a couple days though, go for it. It'll still be great.

Edit: Just try to get the balls formed and back in the fridge in a reasonable amount of time. You don't want the dough to warm up enough that the yeast kicks back into high gear, does its second rise already, and is blown by the time you pull it out and let it come up to temp to use.

Awesome thanks-I went ahead and made the dough last night and balled it this morning since I'll be dogsitting at my sisters all weekend and won't be home Sunday morning to ball the dough like I originally planned. Going to make 3 pizzas Sunday and freeze the rest for next week-I'll let you know how those come out!