Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God drat that New York slice looks amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Do you have a pizza peel or was it just the cutting board?

A peel will make it easier, and others will fill in with more tips, but here’s a few:

When you make it on a cutting board or even a peel, you only have so long to assemble the pizza before transferring to the oven. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to move it. If you don’t have a peel, you could stretch the dough, then transfer it to a cookie sheet upside down with parchment paper on it, then assemble it, and then slide it onto the stone.

Another thing is throwing semolina flour or rice flour on the peel or cutting board or whatever. It tends to work better than normal flour for slipping the dough off.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Make sure if you use corn meal-don’t throw it on the preheated stone directly. That poo poo burns up and smokes quick. It’s fine if you put it on a peel and then the dough goes on top of that as you transfer it to the stone.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What is the parchment paper trick? Do you just put parchment on a peel and launch it that way, with the dough on the parchment? Doesn’t it burn above 450?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bagheera posted:

No peel.

1) Flour on the counter and shape your dough.
2) Lift the dough and place it on a sheet of parchment paper. About two inches longer and wider than the pizza.
3) Add sauce and toppings.
4) Lift the parchment paper by the sides, with some tension so the pizza stays flat.
5) Have a friend open the oven and pull out the rack with the pizza stone.
6) Put the parchment paper and pizza on the stone.
7) Close and cook.
8) When finished take the pizza out with a regular spatula ( with practice, works for up to a 12" pie).
9) Throw away the parchment paper.

In my 550 degree home oven, the edges of the paper blacken but don't catch fire. The paper under the dough isn't affected and doesn't affect the flavor of the pizza.

I used to use a plastic cutting board as a psuedo-peel with cornmeal, but I never got good at it. The parchment paper trick works great for me and hasn't had a noticeable effect on my pizza.

Ah ok thanks. That would work for me up to the point of #5, since I have a baking steel and pulling that rack out is heavy as gently caress and would be pretty hard to do for my wife. I'll stick with the peel method.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think my NY style pizza game is getting pretty good.

recipe:
King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour 100%
Water (room temp) 61.06%
IDY .282%
Salt 2.5%
LDMP .25%

Rise at room temp for 3 hours, then cold ferment for 6 days in the fridge.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 2, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Stefan Prodan posted:

That's cool, what recipe are you using, and what are you doin for sauce?

Good call. Post was edited to include:

King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour 100%
Water (room temp) 61.06%
IDY .282%
Salt 2.5%
LDMP .25%

Rise at room temp for 3 hours, then cold ferment for 6 days in the fridge.

It's pretty amazing how much it starts to rise after a few days in the fridge. I tried the same recipe with only 3 days CF and it wasn't nearly as good.

The sauce is just some Carmelina San Marzano whole tomatoes through a food mill, with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. With a 14 oz can of tomatoes, I use 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 3/4tsp salt, 1/8 tsp of oregano, 1/8 tsp of garlic powder, and a few twists from a pepper mill. If I remember to buy basil, I'll usually tear up a few pieces and stir them in, but I didn't have it on hand last night.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 2, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

Looks like an awesome NY slice. What's your baking temp/time?

Gas oven with gas broiler on top. Preheated a baking steel at 500 degrees for an hour and the steel registered at 520 degrees with an IR thermometer. I need to get a new external thermometer because the one I have had for ten years was saying 490.

Anyways, baked for 7:45 and then I turned the broiler on high until 8:30 when I pulled the pizza.

Next time I’ll try turning the broiler on at 7:15 instead, so I can get a little more browning on the cheese.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

[liquid] diastatic malt powder I assume

Sorry, it’s actually just DMP. There’s normal diastatic (which I have) and then Low diastatic malt powder.

Regarding cook times, I’m not really sure. I was of the opinion that I needed to crank my oven way the gently caress up and cook it fast, but that’s not really true with NY style since most of the stores ovens only do 500-550, plus the steel does such a good job compared to the stone.

I had been doing 550 in the oven then cranking the broiler on to get the steel over 600 degrees, but it crisped the gently caress out of the bottom before the top had a chance to cook. My new method has been working much better. It doesn’t cook too much and the crust is amazing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

Help me pizza thread!

My first pizza always turns out great, but the second and subsequent have some bottom crust issues. I have an electric oven that maxes out at 550F and I preheat my stone for at least an hour and a half. I give the first pizza a couple minutes and then switch to the broiler - top and bottom look great and it's out after 6 minutes. The second pizza never gets brown on the bottom, even with a couple extra minutes. It does cook through. The oven itself seems to be maintaining temperature. I have a mid-range electric oven and Dough Joe stones and I use the Serious Eats New York Pizza Dough recipe.

I'd like to minimize the time between pies because my family devours the first one while I'm making the second; more waiting means less pizza for me.

Do you have an infrared thermometer? I use mine to see what the temperature of my steel is. Usually on the first pie it will be about 520 degrees, then after cooking one pizza for ~8 minutes and taking it out, the temperature of the steel will be about 475. I have to let it come back up to 520 if I want consistent results.

If that's the problem you're facing, maybe a good way to quickly bring the steel back up to temperature would be blasting the broiler on the empty steel after the first pizza is taken out? When I used to try and get my oven as hot as possible, I could get the steel up to about 550 and then cranking the broiler for a minute or two, I've gotten the steel to measure at 610 before.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Piggy Smalls posted:

Another dumb question:

Pizza peels:

Aluminum or wood?
Size?

My experience is that wood is best for launching the pizza initially. I had a 16” aluminum and it was too hard to get enough semolina on it to the post by where the pizza wouldn’t stick...even then, it was tough to use.

Wood is a lot easier for launching. You can throw some flour on it, rub it in, and then a bit of semolina before the pizza and it will launch without much of a hassle. I still use my aluminum for shifting the pizza around after the initial launch, though-it’s much thinner than the wood peel, so I’m able to quickly and easily get under the pizza after it’s cooked a bit.

If you’re using a stone or steel in an oven, the biggest you probably need is 14”-it’s what I have for the wooden peel and I can’t really get a bigger pie than 14” on my steel...maybe 16”, but that would be edge to edge and require a perfect launch.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Piggy Smalls posted:

So maybe wood for the launch and metal to turn and get out of the oven?

Yeah that’s what I do. If you have the room for both types of peels, then go for it. Otherwise I would just do a wood one if that’s all you can afford.

There’s this one Italian company that makes these slotted aluminum peels that supposedly work great, but they want $100 plus for them and I’m still not convinced it would work better than wood for my needs, so I’ll stick to using two types of peels.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Heners_UK posted:

Can anyone link to a specific wood peel?

I've got:
1. An Epicurian one, which is sealed wood and behaves more like metal
2. A metal one, we've covered that
(both were gifts)

The last true wood one I used was kind of thick and somewhat cheap. Don't want to fall into that trap again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LPDNPO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I got. No problems out of the box-I just put some flour on it and rubbed it on the peel, and then shook the excess off, and it was good to go.

Don't ever wash these though, if you can help it. It causes the unfinished wood to develop some splinters almost, and you have to sand it down. That's what happened to a pizzacraft peel that I bought.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Finally doing some neopolitan pizzas on the blackstone again this weekend. I did a NY style a few weeks ago that turned out great, but here we go again...

What are going to be some good toppings to grab? I realize that's completely subjective, but honestly I just like the standard cheese and sauce with maybe some basil. My sister and her kids that I'm cooking for aren't used to NP pizzas and are definitely more traditional with NY style/American pizza, with the goto pepperoni or mushroom. Any ideas on ingredients to grab for this weekend?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Happiness Commando posted:

Technique helps. So does garlic powder.

I might have missed it but I didn’t see how much he suggested to add.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Two of the first pizzas off the Black Stone this summer.

The first one was great-the Stone was about 600 degrees and I put the pizza on with the burners all the way off for about half of the cook, then I turned it on full blast to finish.

The second one, I’m having trouble with. The stone was about 650 and I did the same method of cooking, but it came out as you see it. It’s just burning too quick on top.

I’m having trouble toeing the line between getting the crust brown and burning the hell out of it.

Both tasted amazing though. The second one is my current favorite with toppings: Calabrian pepper sauce, mozzarella, capicolla, and a drizzle of honey. It’s supposed to have macadamia nuts as well, but the grocery store didn’t have them.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 25, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is the broiler on the top? Maybe after preheating for an hour you can turn the broiler on high and let it heat the steel that way for a bit. I’ve managed to get my steel up to about 600 doing that, where my stove maxes at 550.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

https://imgur.com/gallery/q64XyTt

It’s national pizza day!

And the awful app is not uploading pictures today!

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 10, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

His Divine Shadow posted:

I wonder is there anyone else who has problems with the dough getting too thin in the middle when you toss it?

Yep-I used to!

For me it had to do with how I was stretching the dough. I found this thread which has helped me immensely:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52334.0

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I. M. Gei posted:

So I’m looking at the Pizza Bible master dough recipe, and it says

... and I’m wondering where the gently caress to get any of these flours in a non-ridiculous quantity? No stores in my area sell them, and everything I’m seeing on Amazon is big bags repackaged into smaller bags by random assholes, which is sketchy as gently caress.

I’ve gotten some from

https://www.bakersauthority.com

In repackaged 5 pound bags. You can also get three pound bags of King Arthur sir Lancelot directly from king Arthur’s website.

I honestly don’t notice a whole lot of difference between those and the King Arthur bread flour though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

$20 OFF original price of baking steels. Hey we’re $89, now they are $69.

These are 1/4” thick.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m having a horrible time with pepperoni on my pizza. If I grab a stick of it it’s really small in diameter and I don’t slice it thin enough.

I’ve tried putting it in paper towels and microwaving it but then it gets too crispy and burnt if I add it at the beginning of the cook. It’s like I’d have to throw it on at the end of the cook.

Any suggestions in what pepperoni to buy or cooking method? I do NY style mostly.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

plester1 posted:

When I slice a full stick of pepperoni for a pizza, I use a mandoline to get it thinner and more even. It's kind of awkward but I just eat any mistakes.

Out off curiosity, are you aiming for the kind of pepperoni that stays flat, or the kind that curls into a cup? I think for the curl, you need to combine a natural casing (that contracts when cooked) with the right proportion of diamater and thickness to achieve desired 'cuppiness'. I think you can even buy it pre-sliced, but I've never tried.

I’d like the flat pepperoni. Right now with the stick of boar’s head, it always cups.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty sure the cupping is from the casing contracting, so just score the edges in several places, preferable before you slice the pepperoni so you're not doing it on each piece.

Same thing works on ribeyes and pork chops, just score the fat band vertically in a few spots. Although I wouldn't put those on your pizza.

Good call-I’ll try that next time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Do you notice a difference and is it worth it?

Reason I ask is I mainly do New York style pizzas. Lots of forums say to find King Arthur sir Lancelot or Trumps flour.

I’ve tried those with a cold ferment, and I honestly don’t notice a huge difference between those and standard KA bread flour. kA bread flour is a lot cheaper and easier to get, so I just use that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

New York style-finally realizing less is more with the cheese. I can do without the basil on top but my wife likes it and prefers it chopped versus whole leaves.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 20, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I recently got a sourdough starter I’ve been keeping up and making bread with.

Any good recipes/tips for using it with pizza dough?

I normally do New York style in the oven, but can do Neapolitan in my pizza oven.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have recommendations for a recipe using a sourdough starter? I’m using my oven with a baking steel, so probably no neopolitan recipes since I can only get to 600 degrees on the steel, but I’m looking to try anything.

I normally just do NY style cheese pizzas, but I’ve been keeping a starter active for the last few months for bread.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I will stan Escalon’s 6-in-1 ground tomatoes until my death. They’re the only canned tomato that actually tastes great straight from the can, and they have fantastic texture. For pizza sauce, I do uncooked because the tomatoes are so good, and add fresh garlic, dried oregano and basil, salt and pepper flakes. That’s all those tomatoes need.

I’ve been using jersey fresh crushed tomatoes for a few years now and have really liked them. However I do run them through a food mill first before I add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano. They’ve got a great texture after I run them through the mill.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Running low on yeast so I need your favorite pizza recipe that uses a sourdough starter instead of yeast-go!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The only good thing is I still have a case of Jersey fresh tomatoes I got last month, plus about 10 pounds of flour left. Cheese could be an issue-running low on polly-o

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Really enjoying making 2-14” pies for dinner once a week in my oven with a baking steel. I’d like to go a bit bigger but my baking steel supports 15” at most with a perfect launch.

I do NY style pizzas.

I’m contemplating getting the Waring WPO500 which is an electric oven for pies up to 18”. It’s $1000.

Please tell me I’m crazy. The only other thought is to buy a bigger steel that would accommodate 16” pies without issue ( so it’s have to be 17x17 I’m guessing. I don’t see anything that’s made like that though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

With a budget of $1000, you can scrounge together enough fire bricks, pottery clay, pottery sand, cinder blocks, perlite, concrete, rebar, and stucco to build yourself a 32-36" wood-fired oven outside and join the rest of us Satanists. It would be a cob oven made from manufactured materials and it'll develop a few cosmetic cracks, but you'll be baking all summer when it's otherwise too hot in the house.

I’m in the military and move every few years. That’s a dream after I retire though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ogopogo posted:

If wood fire interests you, the Pizza Party oven is what I use and it's mobile as hell and fun as gently caress to cook in. Aside from the pizzas I make out of it, we roast whole chickens, pork ribs, veggies, etc. I think they're running some sort of special right now so you can probably get that 70x70 for $950ish FedEx'ed to your door straight from Italy. In the before times of shipping it took less than a week from order to delivery, but nowadays I'm not sure. Otherwise the Waring or something like the Breville will do you for an electric style pizza oven that's countertop useable inside!

https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/wood-fired-oven/outdoor-wood-fired-oven-pizza-party-green.html

Yeah I dunno. I mainly do NY style pizzas. I have a Blackstone pizza grill that uses propane and that works well enough for when I want to do neopolitan...not nearly as hot as a pizza party but still up to 800 degrees or so.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I mostly do NY-style in my pizza oven. There's no reason a wood-fired oven can't manage that.

I mean, then there's the bread, the casseroles, and all the other poo poo that gets crammed into it in August when you want to rebel against the weather and have Thanksgiving.

Looks like pizza party isn’t available to ship to the US anymore:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60502.msg607473#msg607473

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tried my blackstone out again today and I’m pretty pleased with the results.

I closed the regulator a bit which helped regulate the temp. I think I’ll close it a bit more so I can get some more browning.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LifeSunDeath posted:

Read some article about how it's scientifically impossible to get good pizza from a home oven, using steel or a stone, and that steel at 700 degrees doesn't work near as good as a brick oven....People need to chill the hell out about pizza, and I say this as a huge fan of pizza.

I think the article is wrong based on how my pizza comes out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/23/630544154/pizza-physics-why-brick-ovens-bake-the-perfect-italian-style-pie

I agree, my pizza is just fine, it's nice cooking in a brick oven cause it cooks almost instantly.

Oh, they’re talking mainly about neopolitan style. Yeah I don’t make those. You said pizza in general.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’d like to move up to 16” pies but my current steel only allows 14”, maybe 15” with a perfect launch.

Any recommendations out there on a steel that’s like 17x17 or 18x18?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any idea if they make pizza/quarry tiles in 4”x4”x3/8”?

I’m thinking instead of buying a new pizza steel, I can just put a few of those size tiles on each side of the steel.