Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Made pizza for the first time in three years this weekend. Got my pizza steel and a 550 oven, but the edges of the crust didn’t brown like I wanted them to. I had the steel on the bottom rack, thinking I may move it to the top next time. Also considering switching to the broiler once the oven is up to temp.

My old oven was a convection oven and I would switch it to the roast setting which used the top element too, but this one doesn’t have that. Any ideas?

It almost looks like the steel was too hot based on the bottom. I think if you had turned the broiler on before the cook, the steel would have been even hotter and would have cooked faster.

The cheese doesn’t look browned but the pepperoni looked cooked.

I dunno-I’d suggest maybe a slightly shorter preheat for the steel but putting the broiler on when you launch the pizza. That way the top would have a better chance of browning without the bottom turning too crisp.

I have a tough time getting the crust perfectly browned a lot of the time myself. The bottom or top is always done before the crust has a chance to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was getting something similar with my sourdough bread. Weird burning on the bottom of the loaf inside the cast iron with no other real issues. I fixed it by putting rack under the bread and putting an empty sheet pan on it. Dunno why it works something about making the heating more even? Anyways try that.

Ah I forgot. Ovens are way hotter on the bottom. Moving the steel up a few racks should help.

I did the same thing in my enameled cast iron when making sourdough bread. I moved it up a few racks and it was much better.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

What's the safest way to move a 550F baking steel from the bottom rack to the top rack without major catastrophe? Are you just really strong?

I think he meant he’ll move it up to the top before he turns the oven on next time.

I moved it during a cook once. I just moved the entire cooking rack with the steel on it. Was that stupid? Yes. Did I get hurt? Luckily not. I wouldn’t tempt fate twice.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yes. That’s what I have for my Blackstone pizza oven, mines just the 16” version.

Also-use rice flour instead of corn meal or semolina. It doesn’t burn nearly as bad as corn meal does and you can sprinkle the peel with it fairly heavy handed if you want without consequence.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need to try neopolitan again on my black stone.

Anyone got a good recipe using a bag (1 kg) of Caputo flour? Cold ferment of a day or two would be preferred. I have a sourdough starter but I don’t need to use it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Happiness Commando posted:

I got this from the Pizzamaking forum, probably looking for a Dominos clone. It's not a great clone, but it's a fine pizza. That quantity isn't a typo. Reduce the recipe by 10% as you choose.

360 g flour
226 g water
20 g oil
20 g sugar
5 g salt
3 g yeast

Makes approx 1.1 14" dough ball. Put on a screen, bake at 375-400 for 20-40 minutes.

What do you do with the.1?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

poverty goat posted:

Can someone recommend a big (16"+) wooden peel? I want a bigger one but I'm afraid to buy a random cheap one on amazon since most of them tell you nothing about the finish.

That's about the biggest slice I can manage at the moment. Gotta up my game.

Bonus focaccia:

I bought an American metal craft 3616 16”x17” wooden pizza peel and have been using it for about a year-zero issues. You can get them on Amazon every now and then but I think I got it from a restaurant supply website.

https://irdequipment.com/american-metalcraft-116/pizza-peel-3616-ame

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maybe a stupid question about dough prep:

Currently for my NY style I mix it and let it rest in the mixing bowl at room temp for 4 hours. Then I separate dough into two parts, roll and ball, place in 2 oiled Tupperware’s and then into the fridge for 3 days.

Would it make a different if instead of resting in the mixing bowl, I just immediately roll and ball and place into the 2 oiled Tupperware’s, allowing them to rest in Tupperware for 4 hours before tossing in the fridge? I guess I could roll and ball again right before putting in the fridge?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

CancerCakes posted:

Surely after 4 days you have to roll and ball anyway? Although some might argue that the yeast needs to have a bit of time at room temperature to activate before going in the fridge. Depends on your room temperature as well!

Try it, it won't make a massive difference and if it is better then great!

Hmmm. I’ve always taken out of the fridge about two hours before cooking them. I never roll and ball again.

Should I be?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PokeJoe posted:

I put them straight in the fridge too. I use cylindrical deli-tainers to keep them in so when I dump them out they're already round. Makes it easy to get the circle shape

I should have mentioned I use round Tupperware. With a 3-day cold ferment, I wonder if it’s even necessary to leave the dough out for 3-4 hours before putting in the fridge…hmmm…sure would save a lot of time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Those of you proofing in the fridge for multiple days, do you let it come to room temp and rise again, or stretch from cold or what? The few times I’ve taken dough out of the fridge I’ve let it come to room temp and rise a little before shaping.

Yeah-at least an hour in the humid summer months and 2-3 hours during winter. Otherwise I can’t stretch it out for poo poo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Welp, I think I’m going back to my old way of not reballing the dough after removing from a 3-day cold ferment in the fridge.

I had 2 dough balls and I did it with one of them as an experiment. I let them come to room temp for about 1.5 hours. The reballed one tore very easily as I was stretching it out. I’ve never had that issue before just taking them out of the fridge 1-2 hours before baking.

Maybe a one/off accident but I dunno.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ogopogo posted:

Once you ball out your dough, don't mess with it. The balling out process after your bulk ferment does a couple of things- Mainly, it's your second proof of the dough, so most of the gluten development will be happening during your multi-day cold ferment. Secondly, the balling out itself creates a structure of dough that's ready for opening into a pizza. A well balled dough will have a taught 'skin' all around it, which will help keep the fermentation tight in your ball versus it blowing it on a side or the bottom. Maintaining this structure is key to good, airy crust when you cook. Once you pull them out of the fridge, just let them come to room temp like you have been, 1.5-2 hours is usually good. If you reball the dough after this stage, you completely de-gas all the yeast fermentation that's been building up. You need this in your crust to develop that big, strong curst edge. Focus on pushing all the air *out* from the center towards the edges as you open up your dough ball.
Hope this helps!!

Thanks-that absolutely helps and confirms what I’ve been doing all along is correct.

I noticed something was off when I went to reball the dough and I couldn’t get the ball smooth no matter how much I kept trying to ball it-it was like the dough was just too cold to work with.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

In my opinion, the only reasons to get an ooni or koda, etc over a steel in your home oven is if you have pizza parties where your normally cranking out more than a few pizzas or if you don’t want to heat your house up in the summer time.

If your main thing were neopolitan pizzas I’d be a little more inclined to suggest it. I mainly do NY style and have a black stone propane pizza oven. I have to dial the heat on that back a bit so the top doesn’t burn, and that’s with a pizza stone that spins on its own and turning the flame off when I launch the pizza.

A koda/ooni without a rotating stone means you’ll have to dial the heat way back and constantly flip that pizza around so you don’t get the back/sides burnt.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KinkyJohn posted:

What will diastatic malt powder do to a pizza dough?

It’s supposed to help with browning the crust.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I've started growing some basil just in a pot on my porch and trying to keep it alive so that I can have fresh basil on every pizza without paying $4 at the store each time and then throwing 80% of it away because I don't make enough pizza to use it but it's also not really enough to make pesto

We do this too-we call it our money tree because I make pizza once a week and $4 a week on a few sprigs adds up in a hurry.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Malefitz posted:

I understand what I wrote is not necessarily all that different than what you said your wife finds stressful.

So the difference is maybe go at your own pace, remove guests from the kitchen and don't bother with special requests? Helps if your wife handles the "keeping the guests entertained" part in the meanwhile

Yeah the entertaining part sucks rear end. I’m not great at multi tasking in general but when you have people telling me their life story while I’m running all over the place making sure pizzas don’t burn…it doesn’t work out well for anyone.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I like my ny pizza dough with a 3 day cold ferment, but I kinda wanna try something different…still NY style because that’s all my wife likes, but maybe using my sourdough starter?

Any suggestions?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

toplitzin posted:

Mix in some whole wheat/rye up to fifteen percent for a real nice change in flavors and texture.

Yeah maybe I’ll try that. I’ve been using sir Lancelot flour and lately it just doesn’t seem to have much taste to it. I dunno if the flour is just old or what the deal is.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

HolHorsejob posted:

What do folks use to make their peel nice and slidey? I'm using cornmeal but I can rarely make the pizza slide easy unless I use way too much

Rice flour. It doesn’t burn nearly as bad as cornmeal.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I get 50 pound bags of sir Lancelot from bakers authority.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

bolind posted:

It’s cold and dark and miserable here and I miss cooking pizzas outside… :(

I just dealt with it last week. As long as it isn’t windy, my blackstone works great!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

bees x1000 posted:

How do smaller pizza places handle supply and demand when fresh dough takes 1-2 days to prep? You can get into a groove and know your typical traffic, but what happens if you suddenly have an extra 50 customers one night? 'We're out, sorry'? Is there a secret NY style rapid recipe?

Two pizza places back in Massachusetts that I frequented did exactly that. One was ok but the other was amazing and would often have their pizzas all sold out for pickups throughout the night by 5 pm most days.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve got no problem launching pies. The problem is making a 15” pie and trying to launch it correctly on a 16” peel. Rarely do I get it right, but usually I’m only off by a half inch or so and I try and fix that later after it’s been cooking for a minute.

However last week I pushed too hard and I ended up having a calzone kinda thing for my second pie…still good, but defeating.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question on freezing dough.

I usually make NY style dough (flour salt water yeast is all that’s in it) and let it cold ferment for three days in the fridge. Then I pull an hour before cooking and let it come to room temp.

I made a bunch of dough a few days ago in preps of having people over but plans changed. While I can eat 4 pizzas over two days, it’s probably not a great idea.

What’s the process for freezing/thawing/reusing this dough? It’s balled right now but has expanded due to the cold ferment. Not sure if I should squeeze out the air bubbles and then freeze in shrink wrap or something else.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

NomNomNom posted:

Got an ooni koda 12 for my birthday.

First attempt:

Incinerated, raw in the middle

Fourth one:

Edible!

Had a very hard time stretching my dough. I used KA bread flour at 60%, bulk ferment in the fridge for 48 hours, divided into balls and let rest at room temp fro 6 hours.

Maybe ball it up/separate before you put it in the fridge.

Did you take it out of the fridge, wait 6 hours, and then try to ball/seperate? If so that would definitely explain why you couldn’t easily stretch it. Maybe try taking it out of the fridge and seperating/balling it immediately, then let it rest for a few hours before trying to stretch if you want to keep the bulk ferment going.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh, I had to quote the post to see where the video was hiding, but I figured it out. Your dough balls just touch a little and aren't too puffed out. Whatever I do with my multi-day cold ferment has them crawling all over each other. Maybe I should just pull back on the yeast (?).

Edit: This is my most basic base:
205g high-protein flour (14.7% gluten)
133g water
4g salt
2g yeast

My NY style dough has less than half the yeast for a 3-day cold ferment.

200g hi-pro flour
122g water
5g salt
.56g yeast

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Any suggestions for shredding blocks of mozz and avoiding the :flaccid: effect?

What effect do you mean?

I freeze my mozzarella blocks for about 30 minutes before I grate them. I’ve also started using a cut-resistant glove because it keeps my fingers from going numb while grating and I’ve had too many incidents where I grate my finger trying to get every last part of the block grated.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is what I use because it’s a cheat code for pizza sticking to the peel. It’s a conveyer belt sort of thing that eliminates the need to slide it off. You can either use enough semolina on a regular peel to make it not stick(“the right way”) or use this. I chose the latter.

But I have this and an aluminum peel which makes life easier when I’m making multiple pies because I can be putting one together on the peel while another pizza cooks and I have a peel free to take it out.

Super Peel Non-Stick Pro Composite - 14" Wide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLS8LLE

I feel like I’d burn the cotton by placing it near the pizza steel. Do you just hover it over the steel and launch that way?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I mean, I just use that for cutting my pizza and serving it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Getting sick of my black stone pizza oven. I’ve had it for 6 years now and it’s a pain for my NY style pizzas.

1) hard heat regulation to keep it at 600 or so degrees. I either undercook or burn the bottoms half the time.

2) rotating stone is great because I don’t have to be a piazziolo and turn the pies myself, but it’s a pain because there’s no back wall to the oven, so the launch has to be perfect if you’re doing a 15-16” pie. Add to that there’s a low ceiling which makes it hard to see and launch it correctly. If I did 12-14” pies all the time then it’s an easy fix, but even with 14” pies, it’s still difficult to land it just right.

Any recommendations on an outdoor or indoor setup that can accommodate a 16” pie? I’d like it to be outside for the summer since I still have an oven with a baking steel.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to build one at this point?

Yeah but there’s two roadblocks right now:

I only cook two pizzas at a time so it seems like possibly a lot of work to get it started each time? Versus my black stone where I turn the propane on and let it roll for 20 minutes.

This isn’t our forever home and will only be here a few years before we move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How do you like to shred your mozzarella?

I’ve been using

https://a.co/d/25UhNKd

And it works ok with semi frozen blocks. I usually use one of those anti-cut gloves with it because the grater will slice your fingers open in a hurry when you get to the last bit to shred.