Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I love making pizza on my big green egg! 1000+ degrees cooks them in no time at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

niss posted:

Yes it does, it also destroys the gasket that much quicker, and scraping the old one is a bitch :suicide:

Troof...mine needs to be replaced. I'm planning on trying a nomex one this time, have you used one?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anybody seen this yet? Looks pretty neat

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Made agentseven's recipe last night, even though my pizza stretching skills are lousy but it was still awesome. Gonna try again tonight!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Shitzza

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Would rather eat a hot pocket

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

I've been spinning through the thread regarding the pizza steel debate and really can't work out what the consensus on them is? Are they worth the $80 or did we find another easy source for them?

Dunno if you have seen it but serious eats had a few in-depth tests/reviews of it. I might ask for one for Christmas this year.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I gave up on getting consistent pizzas on the BGE--just not worth the effort. Have you had a pie accidentally fall in the fire yet? It's a great way to completely ruin your day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The KettlePizza thing looks pretty sweet, especially when paired with a baking steel, but if you already have a BGE I would have a hard time justifying spending even more money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
when i was egging pizzas i used the plate setter legs down and put a pair of firebricks on the platesetter. pizza stone went on top of the fire bricks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Imagine trying to cook a pizza at 1000ish degrees on a big green egg...and you gently caress it up and feed the pizza into the fire :smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Onlinemetals.com can cut and ship custom metal but I'm not sure which type or grade should be used.

Local pick up for Seattle area people.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have a real big cast iron skillet. Is there any reason I couldn't just flip it upside down and use it as a pizza stone?

I see the links on the last page, but I don't really want to do a dish thing. I mean letting the iron heat up in the oven and using the bottom as a normal stone.

Seems like it would be easier to just make it inside the pan, like this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

i was surprised how good this turns out, very easy too!

unless this is what you were talking about being on the last page, sorry

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 11, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
For those who don't have a baking steel, I noticed there's another company selling their own array of products on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dough-Joe%AE-Baking-Sheet--The-Samurai-trade/dp/B00LBKWSKS/

80 bucks shipped for a 15x15x 3/8" sheet, which is 20 dollars less than the similar Modernist Cuisine version for 100 shipped at bakingsteel.com

also selling a 1/2" version about 20 bucks less than bakingsteel.com

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

Can't wait for the compare review that will no doubt be done by Serious Eats or similar

Funny that you mention that, saw this pop up today:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/pizza-hack-baking-copper.html

baking copper!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Despite never having been to NYC I'm in love with new York pizza and whole heartedly love kenjis nyc style pizza and sauce

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/baking-steel-griddle-has-arrived.html

Baking steel Griddle released

early purchase price is 195 dollars, full price is 250.

:suicide:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm going to install emachineshop's cad software tonight and get a quote for something similar in A36 steel, 3/8" thick and post the quote they give me. Perhaps we can get 10 made for a lower price.

I'd say 100 sounds about right considering the material thickness.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
emachineshop's CAD software sucks so i designed it at work and will bring it home and import it into their software and see if that works.

does anyone have the dxf of the GWS logo? i found this post but the link doesnt work for me anymore

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598826&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post424743523

If it doesn't cost too much we could probably have that engraved on one side, or a custom one if you prefer. I'll be going to go with TOO MUCH TUNA in giant letters on the pizza side.

FYI the raw material costs from a site like onlinemetals.com (located kinda near me) for an 18x14x3/8 (exact same size as bakingsteel) is 115 dollars.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 3, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Happiness Commando posted:

I've been asking metal shops around me to make a 1/4" steel, but either they want an exorbitant amount of money to descale it, or they don't descale at all. Does anyone know how important it is?, or am I stuck buying an $80 Modernist Cuisine one?

It is important and must be removed. Angle grinder should do it, but my googling of this led me to a site that indicates phospohoric acid can loosen the scaling.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That probably works too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You can score a used BGE for 500 bucks on craigslist real easy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tonedef131 posted:

I don't know very much about the fatigue cycles of these stones, but I've been down that road and they ALWAYS crack after a few years. I finally went the steel route. For the price of a purpose made baking stone you should be able to get a plate from your local Metal Supermarkets or the like. They can usually plasma cut up to 1/2" on the spot and the beauty is you can select the dimensions to suit your needs. When I made mine I went 18x15 because that was small enough to fit in my oven but big enough to straddle all 4 of my burners when using it as a griddle.

Owns

Where did you buy that from

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

He made one for me and I can say without a doubt that it loving owns bones. Gonna make so many sliders and pizzas with this thing.

I want one so drat bad, any chance of setting up another group buy?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I would gladly pay enough for it and ok if you profit from it, but I understand if you're not up for doing it again.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thai pizza, used leftover peanut sauce and leftover pork satay meat. Kenji's NY dough. Fuckin awesome.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus Christ almighty your pizza game is tight

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

khy posted:

I am too lazy to make my own pizza dough

But pre-made dough from the store tastes like rear end

I used to just use a bread machine to make the dough since it's just 'dump everything in, wait 1.5 hours, dough is ready' but my bread machine busted.

Is there a specific bread machine which is better at making pizza dough than others? I use it 95% of the time for pizza dough and 5% of the time for fresh baked bread.

you could make your own no-knead dough, which would be easier than buying a bread machine

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

khy posted:

I am interested in learning more. As it is, I literally just dump all the ingredients into the pan and hit 'start'. Mixing/kneading/rising is automatic. I would be very interested in finding out what is easier than that!

I was trying to search for which bread machine would be best but all I get are a million 'pizza dough bread machine recipes' results.

I get it if you aren't into mixing your own dough but just imagine how many pizzas you can make with the money saved not buying a bread machine

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:flashfap:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bump, what's the consensus on pizza steel thickness? is half inch worth the premium cost and extra weight hassle over 3/8"?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thai style pizza. leftover pork satay, peanut sauce, carrots and cilantro

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Preheat for at least an hour and don't remove the stone from the oven, slide the rack out and place the pizza on it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

whatupdet posted:

Do you recommend I drop the temp once the stone is fully preheated or leave on 550F to cook the homemade pizza? 550F is the maximum my oven will go.

I put a little flour on the pizza stone so the pizza dough doesn't stick to it and the stone goes on the bottom shelf.

imo you shouldnt need any flour on the stone, and try to leave the stone in the middle or upper areas of the oven.

and you can experiment with temps, generally hotter is better but i've used 500 and 525 extensively and stick with 525.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Those prices are really reasonable

But I'm also enough of a fool to spend over 1200 on a big green egg.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm looking at a pizza peel that has a conveyor thingie on it. Anyone ever used one of those?

Superpeel? I've had one for a few years and I like it, but deep down I know I should be able to use a normal peel.

But I have only hosed up one pizza in at least 100 using it so I consider it successful at stopping me from loving up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's a nice pizza

My pizzas still look like retarded amoebas

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DR your pizza crusts look so perfect

what's your process for proofing your dough? i pull my cold fermented dough out of the fridge a couple hours before i use it and it's never stretchy enough. if i take it out too early i feel like it turns into a sticky loving mess without really having a nice stretchy texture.

i've been using kenji's NY pizza dough recipe

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

had leftovers from this chicken sandwich recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-sandwiches-recipe.html

and so i threw it on a pizza with olive oil, mozz, cilantro and shallots and green sauce (not pictured)

used kenji's ny pizza dough recipe and this was truly the first time i had the dough come out PERFECT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those two pizzas look great! :yeah: