Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

dedian posted:

The way I do pizzas on the grill (actually did this Sunday!) is to make "single serving" sized crusts (around 6-8" I think) and cook one side on the grill until it's browned as much as you'd like. Take it out, flip it over and top it with what you'd like (so you're putting toppings on the cooked side of the crust) - then just put it back on the grill to cook the other side of the crust. Usually by that time the toppings/cheese are plenty cooked. Having a two-heat-zone coal setup would probably be useful if you need more time to cook the toppings and less so the crust.

I do something similar on a gas grill. I have a side burner, so I sauté the toppings in a skillet before putting them on because they're raw otherwise. Without the side burner, you can always precook all toppings indoors and they should at least be warmed enough by the short time on the grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

Now that the Flyers lost their last series, it's time for me to post some pictures from my traditional playoff pizza parties.

All pizzas made in 550F gas ovens. The crust was prebaked on a pan for a few minutes until it could hold its shape, topped, then slid directly onto the oven rack (as you can see by the lines).

Honey whole wheat dough with onions, peppers, and hot sausage.

Button mushrooms and onions sauted in sausage fat.

We were running out of dough, so I experimented with the thinnest crust I could make. This was the best pie of the night.

Here are a selection of the different pies from the most recent game. Left is the homemade honey whole wheat dough, top is Trader Joe's whole wheat dough, and bottom is Trader Joe's basil dough. The homemade dough was significantly more tasty.

If the thumbnails don't work, click for huge.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

RE: gas grill pizzas

kuskus posted:

That said: if you don't have a peel, some people have had admirable results brushing a hot grill with olive oil and putting your stretched dough on there, giving in a few moments (after it inevitably expands), flipping it, and building your pizza in a whirlwind right on the grill with sauce / cheese / misc. going on after that first flip. YMMV.

I do something similar, but have taken the frantic pizza building out of my equation. I just make little personal size dough disks, throw them all down on the grill, take them all off after one side gets some nice grill marks, and close the lid. Then I let everyone casually top the cooked side of their personal pizzas the way they want while the grill comes back up to temperature. That way, the cheese melts nicely on top without having to worry about the bottom burning. I sauté all toppings beforehand because they will not cook well on the grill.