Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It not hot out so that means pizza time.

I ran out of bread flour, so my dough is 2/3 bread flour and 1/3 whole wheat flour.

I had some peppers laying around, so I threw that on there with some Porkroll. (Taylor Ham for those of you in North Jersey.)

I use the baking sheet as a peel. Slid it onto the stone and cooked 15 minutes or so at 550.

Went thick crust today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cast Iron Skillet pizza time!

Sausage, onions, peppers. Diced tomatoes instead of sauce.

This is after I took it out of the pan:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I go the simple route with my pizza sauce

- Can of tomatoes, drained (whole or diced)
- Heavy pinch of kosher salt
- 3 or 4 fresh basil leaves
- Blend

Sometimes I add a clove of garlic, sometimes I don't.

Someone heard I like pizza and gave me one of these for Christmas:

It cooks slower than using a stone, and it's all enclosed so the top kinda gets steamed. However, the crust on the bottom comes out pretty decent. I'm trying to find some other things to use it for because I do prefer my stone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I don't know how DIY you are, but maybe if you can figure out a way to remove the hinge you'd have a decent electric skillet. If the top half is heated also, then you'd have two skillets that store away pretty small. You'd be a hero at cooking breakfast on that thing.

Hmm, I wonder if it could do a quiche.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fontina cheese was a great idea.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

People have used granite, there is just the danger of ancient hidden moisture pockets that will cause the granite to explode violently when heated, or so they say.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It was warm enough out today to have my windows open, so I ran a self cleaning cycle on my oven. I stuck the pizza stone in there to clean that too. Now all of the grease stains are gone from the stone and it looks brand new.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ObesePriest posted:

Hi everyone! I'm gonna attempt this this coming weekend because I've had homemade pizza before and it is delicious and all of these pizzas look so god drat good. Also I want to to build street cred.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind indulging me and my terribleness.

1. What is the best kind of cheese to use? I hear that reduced fat cheese isn't that good to use because it lacks that stretch that you get when you bite into a pizza. Can i use regular block cheese cut into squares? I also hear fresh mozzarella balls are good?

2. Do you guys pre cook your ingredients? So that you can avoid perfect crust and undercooked ingredients/ burned crust and well-done ingredients. I suppose this question can be linked to the temperature of the oven. It seems like all the ingredients are basically raw.

3. Speaking of which, What temperature do you guys cook your pizzas at? 450-900 seems to be good with higher being better. My oven goes to 550 max which seems sufficient by FogHelmut's delicious looking pizza.

I promise to post pics when its done!

Thanks for the compliment. Fresh mozz is great, but I like a lot of cheese, so I go with part-skim mozzarella since it usually has a lower moisture content. I get puddles in my pizza if I use too much fresh, and while you can do things to take a lot of that moisture out pre-cooking, I am lazy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wolfy posted:

I've been messing around with making pizzas lately. My friend linked me to something called Kettlepizza and I was just wondering if this was a worthwhile investment.

Price seems a bit steep for a piece of sheet metal with a hole cut out of it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This was on a whim, so Trader Joe's dough. Layer of pesto for sauce. Mozzerella. Then shrimp that I par cooked in garlic and butter. Baked 10 minutes on the stone at 550. Arugula on top, back in the oven for a minute or two until it wilted.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sacrilage posted:

So, its actually really easy to make your pizzas round without those thin and thick spots that the OP had in his pizza; was something I learned at dominoes (please forgive the heresy, but true). I found a good video of how to do it; watch from minute 4 onward, where he shoes you how to properly "ball" the dough before letting it rest/expand, especially minute 6.

This also lets you make bigger pizzas without soft centers or uncooked crusts. Great technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3MEV-dQ0A&feature=related

I'm trying to figure out how many eggs per 1 home size batch of dough in that recipe from that video. 6 eggs in 50 lbs of flour. You use a 1/2 lb of flour for 1 pizza? Roughly? There's 100 half lbs in 50 lbs, so that's 0.06 eggs in a home made pizza. Or 1 egg per 8.3 lbs of flour if you're having trouble figuring out how much 0.06 eggs is. I don't know where you are going to store all of that dough to use 1 egg.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been using all bread flour in my dough, and it typically comes out pretty tough. So this time, I took Casu Marzu's recipe from the OP and substituted in half cake flour. Also added some honey because that's how I do. Madness, I know.

Let me tell you something - it was an absolute nightmare to work with. But the resulting pizza was what I would call nearly perfect.

The dough was incredibly sticky and did not stretch evenly, and kept getting holes in it. There could be a few factors for this.

- Cake flour is a bad idea.
- I let it rise for 4 hours and that was it.
- This recipe is for a fairly wet dough. My stand mixer wasn't exactly picking it up and kneading it much.

I have the other half of the dough in the fridge, I'll see how that turns out tomorrow. I'm going to have to work on this because I really love how it came out in the end.

edit:

After sitting overnight, it was still kinda sticky and lacked stretchability. I kneaded it a bit with some AP flour to keep it from sticking. After rising for a few hours, it was much more workable than the previous day, and I was actually able to make a round pizza.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 7, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Went full bread flour this time with Casu Marzu's recipe, cut in half. Mixed the dough in the stand mixer until it was fully combined. I let this rest for 15 minutes, then mixed for another 10 minutes. I added a few more tablespoons of flour to tighten it up as it was mixing.

I cut the dough in half, and formed into balls. I let these rise in bowls for 2 hours before putting in the fridge overnight. I took them out, punched them down, and let rise again for another 3 hours.

I cut down a bunch of my basil plants because its the end of the season, and made the pesto.

Philly.com had an article this week about home made ricotta being a big thing right now, and it looked easy enough. It was easy enough, but a big mess because I underestimated the amount it made.

Petite diced tomatoes from a can, drained.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MisterOblivious posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of reading articles about "ricotta" cheese made from heated milk and lemon juice. Ricotta Paneer

How's it taste on pizza?

Pretty good actually, very creamy texture and flavor.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I saw an interesting technique at Manco & Manco's on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk. They took 2 doughs, floured them up, stuck one on top of the other, and then stretched. Once the 2 doughs together were the size and thickness of one regular pizza, they peeled them apart. Now they have 2 pizzas with their extra thin crust. Of course you need some good rear end dough to pull this off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I use a baking sheet as a peel and it works fine.

Tips -

- Flour
- Good dough consistency
- Don't let it sit too long.
- Practice

Some people like to use parchment paper.
Never liked corn meal, it makes the pizza seem like something you'd get in Ohio.

Really though, if you get the dough right, it won't cause a problem.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is the best dough I have ever made.

Just used the dough recipe from here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/grilled-pizza-three-ways-recipe.html

Used a packet of Fleischman's Pizza Dough Yeast. Also I subbed in honey for the malted barley syrup.

Combined ingredients then in the Kitchenaid with the dough hook on medium for 15 minutes. I think in the past I never kneaded enough. I put this in the fridge overnight, then took it out in the morning. At lunch, I punched it down and kneaded the air out. I portioned it and rolled these into balls. I rolled the dough balls around to shape them, like if you're making a roll. I set these aside to rise again.

Dust with flour, stretch your pizza. Cooked on the stone at 550. Came out crisp on the outside, chewy and airy inside. Well developed flavor. The crust finished evenly with the toppings. Everything went perfectly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Depends on what you're going for, for some heavy duty pizza or even a tomato pie you want a cooked sauce.

Render down some pancetta in a saucepan. Once the fat is all cooked out, remove the crispy meaty bits and save them for a topping, or just eat it now.
Add finely chopped shallots to the hot oil and cook until turning translucent or so.
Add some garlic, finely chopped or through a press, I dont care. Just stir it around so it doesn't burn.
Before the garlic burns, add your tomatoes. I just use tomato puree, which is basically pre watered down tomato paste.
Add a few fresh basil leaves, whole or chopped or ripped up, whatever you like.
Black pepper, salt, maybe some oregano if you're into that.
Simmer on low for 30-40 minutes, stirring often.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tried grilling in my Weber. A chimney full of charcoal gets me upwards of 600 dome temp for steaks. I did the same but with the stone. After 20 minutes it's still at 450. Any tips for grill pizza?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SMDFTB posted:

Look at Kenjis method for grilled pizza-just straight in the grates. It comes out pretty good, but not completely like normal pizza.

Rolls the dough.
Makes a grilled flatbread.
:spergin:

Edit - came out decent enough despite taking 20 minutes to cook. This is the first time the bottom was more well done that the top, typically cooked in the oven.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 25, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Only cooking on the grill from now on. Lid thermometer says 550+, but the stone is way hotter than my oven.

Shrimp, pesto, fresh mozz. Finished with arugula. Trader Joe's dough because I'm lazy. It's fine if you take it out of the bag early, make a ball, and let it rest.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nwiniwn posted:

Purchased. I figure for $24, why not.

I made some pizza last night that might be my best one yet using a lovely gas oven and a recipe from the pizzamaking forums. Only problem I'm still having is getting the dough stretched out thin enough. It's tough to stretch it out uniform and I keep getting some parts thicker than others.

Are you making the dough into a ball and letting it rest before shaping? Round dough makes a round pizza.

Also, Manco & Manco in Ocean City, NJ has the thinnest crust around. If you watch them make it, they stack two doughs and stretch it thin, then peel them apart for two super ultra thin crusts. I can't find a decent YouTube, but there might be a video out there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Went for Sicilian. Threw some leftovers on top. Need to get a black steel pan.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

If I don't have crushed tomatoes is there any reason I can't use whole peeled tomatoes and crush them with a masher?

Does it matter?

Crush your tomatoes, see them simmering before you, and proceed with the creation of your pizza.

I'd hit them with a blender or immersion blender if you don't want chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This aluminum sheet pan can kiss my rear end, I need black steel. Crust is cooked but colorless and might as well be steamed.