Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I've been away from pizza making for quite some time. I think the last few times I tried I had a bitch of a time getting it from the peel to the stone. It would literally be sticky and I had to scrape it off despite using cornmeal and a bunch of flour. So I'm about to jump back in, and I noticed there were people using parchment paper to avoid this, and I was wondering if a silicone cookie sheet be a viable option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Is it possible to start a culture with a bit of raw dough from your favorite pizzeria, or has the salt in the dough killed the lactobacilli that poops out the flavor?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

smarion2 posted:

Are you asking if you could get the yeast out of the dough? I'm sure you could ask the pizza place what yeast they use for their dough. I hope you know that you can not multiply dough cells.

LOL. Yeah... grow the yeast culture from a piece of raw dough.

Many of the best pizzerias will either lie, or guard their culture. Occasionally you can talk one of the kids that work there into selling you an uncooked pizza.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Wolfy posted:

I've been messing around with making pizzas lately. My friend linked me to something called Kettlepizza and I was just wondering if this was a worthwhile investment.

I saw a ceramic version of this at Ace Hardware last year. They were really nice and I thought it would be perfect except for the price tags.

edit: Big Green Eggs http://rockymountainstove.com/big_green_egg.aspx

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Nostrum posted:

Make the jump to a sourdough culture. I got the "Italian" one from http://www.sourdo.com. The difference in flavor is very significant. Additionally, the slightly acidic dough is much stronger and easier to spread. I usually rise for 4-5 days in the fridge, and depending on how much it rises (I mark the plastic containers with dry erase markers to judge), I'll give it anywhere from an hour to 4 hours out of the fridge to get a bit more lift.

I've kept my culture around for about 7 years now.