Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
OP, I hope you don't mind if I post up my technique for making dough. I like to create a starter the night before. I feel that the flavor and texture improve a lot after a night on the counter.

1-1.5c bread flour
1c warm (100°) filtered water
1 tsp (or so) of yeast
2 tbs granulated sugar

Spin this together until it forms a batter, then it sit on the counter, loosely covered, overnight. Upon waking up in the morning, the slurry will look like the surface of the moon with all the craters, and the entire kitchen will smell vaguely like a bread shop.

To prepare, place the slurry into the stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Add about an additional 0.5-0.75c of water, 2 tsp salt and about 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil to the slurry, turn the mixer on low-medium. Add additional bread flour, a quarter cup at a time, until the dough just adheres to the bottom of the bowl at the hump. Continue to knead the dough on medium-high for 10 minutes.

After kneading, flour the counter (or a large end-grain cutting board) liberally and turn out the (very sticky) dough. Hand knead the dough, adding flour, until it soaks up enough to no longer be sticky to the touch. Leave the dough covered to rise for at least a half-an-hour.

Portion into six and hand spin, OP-style, for light, puffy crust (my favorite). Alternatively, roll pretty thin with a rolling pin (on the peal, please) for a crunchy, cracker-like crust.

My toppings of choice are, a sliced garlic clove, sauce (home made*!), thick sliced local pepperoni, and cubes of provolone; serve with cracked black and crushed red pepper. Yum.

Home made pizza is by far my favorite meal in the entire world. I'd seriously turn down just about any food for one.

Edit:

The sauce is pretty important to pizza, so I'll give it a bit of attention.

Sauce: Sweat one onion, two carrots, a stalk of celery, and four cloves of garlic in a pot with a pat of butter. Add a 14oz can of whole pealed tomatoes. Add herbal additions of your choice, along with a pinch of salt, 1 tsp of sugar, and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, then move to the blender and pulse until desired consistency.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

CzarChasm posted:

I want to get a pizza stone on the cheap, and I've heard that you can use quarry tiles, readily available from most home improvement stores.

I grabbed a piece of travertine tile and I haven't died yet.

Shooting Blanks posted:

just use parchment paper instead,

Ha! I wasn't going to admit it at first, but, if I'm making a bunch of small pizzas, I just prep them in on a sheet of thin aluminum foil and toss the entire thing into the oven. I haven't noticed a difference in quality this way, so I just kept doing it.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I made pizza for lunch too!

Dough:
310g King Arthur bread flour
245g filtered water (105°) with 20g of sugar and ~5g IDY
5g baking powder
2 tbs EV olive oil.

Sauce:
3 garlic cloves, 1 carrot, stalk of celery, 1/2 white onion - all diced
Sweat in 2tbs of butter
Add 16oz can of whole tomatoes
Warm, then move to blender
Add pinch of salt and MSG, a fuckton of basil, parsley, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and a bit of rosemary and thyme. (note: units of measurement may vary depending on interpretations)
Blend in 2tbs of EV olive oil.
Puree until smooth
Note: if you like meat and are planning on using this sauce without any sort of meat on your pizza, add a bit of beef bouillon to round out the flavor.

This should make enough dough for 2 ~14"x7" pizzas and enough sauce for, well, a lot more pizzas.

Stretched, docked, then topped with Sargento provolone and mozzarella mix, a bit of pepperoni and a ton more basil and red pepper flakes. Cooked at 500°F for 9 minutes on a 24"x12" unglazed travertine tile, using parchment paper under the pizza since I don't have a peel.

Edit: oh yeah, put the basil underneath the cheese or it will burn like mine did :(.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 1, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Kathandrion posted:

I have never tried anything remotely like this dish in my life, but in my head the finished product seems awesome.
This does sound loving awesome. For the sauce, maybe a pub cheese spread made with some decent lager. Oh, and there would have to be sauerkraut.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

ObesePriest posted:

2. Do you guys pre cook your ingredients? So that you can avoid perfect crust and undercooked ingredients/ burned crust and well-done ingredients. I suppose this question can be linked to the temperature of the oven. It seems like all the ingredients are basically raw.

If you're using onions, peppers or any vegetation with a lot of moisture in it, I think it is a good idea to lightly roast them before adding them to the pizza. If you put them on top of the cheese raw, the water will cool that part of the cheese and you'll end up with nice toasty cheese with spots of whiteness where the toppings are because the water leaks out of the vegetation and prevents browning. Most people get around this by putting the toppings under the cheese (which is watering down the sauce), but I personally like the maillard flavor that putting veggies on top gives. Plus, roasting makes the veggies them just plain taste better.

quote:

It would literally be sticky and I had to scrape it off despite using cornmeal

Try using more cornmeal. I usually end up using about a tablespoon for a 10" pie before it will reliably slide off the peel (well, poly cutting board). When I have a stuck pizza, what I do is put a pile of cornmeal on the edge of the end of the peel and use a spatula to shove the cornmeal under the prepped pie, almost like your scraping ice off of a frozen car window.