Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I never had any trouble with a wooden peel and some cornmeal. Is your dough too wet going on the peel? Dust it with some flour first. Another thing you can try is using a bit of dental floss to loosen it on the peel right before sliding into the oven. I use that trick with pie crusts when they stick.

I'm still looking for a good dough recipe. The Good Eats recipe has been my usual dough for a while. It tastes good and the overnight rest in the fridge makes a difference but it's just missing something. I'll have to try a few of the ones listed here next time.

I may be crazy but I really like a generous amount of dried marjoram and little bit of crushed red pepper on top of the sauce, before the cheese goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Nostrum posted:

I make pizzas using Jeff Varasano's method, as in, baking them on the self clean cycle. I have a infrared thermometer (critical if you're going to do this) and only bake when the oven is around 800-820 degrees. There's pictures of my pies in the previous pizza thread.

Thanks for mentioning this. The amount of obsession displayed there is impressive.

I'd like to try it but I'm afraid of burning my house down while baking on the cleaning cycle. Are there any alternatives to the cleaning cycle or a DIY brick oven? It also seems like a lot of wasted energy if you're only going to make a few pizzas.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Radio Help posted:

I've been using dough balls from my favorite pizza place for years now, but I got my very first stand mixer for Christmas this year so I'm gonna try and make my own. Any flour recommendations? Seems like the King Arthur perfect pizza flour mix would be the place to go, but should I just follow what Sir Alton Brown says and get their bread machine flour instead?

I'd go with plain old bread flour until you feel like you're getting a consistent result. Then try the fancier stuff and see if you can tell the difference. $5 for 5 lbs is a lot cheaper than $8 for 3 lbs too. I don't know about you but I can only get AP and bread flour locally, no one stocks the fancier KAF stuff. Their pizza flour mix uses a blend of durum flour (higher protein) and AP flour, a dough conditioner, and a little baking powder. You could add baking powder yourself and find dough conditioner by itself online cheaper if you found it made a difference.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I haven't tried it but the KAF blog had a whole wheat pizza recipe a while ago: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/06/20/a-tasty-whole-grain-pizza-crust-roasted-potatoes-optional/