Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
From earlier this year -

Very long lineage sourdough starter for the dough, San Romano tomatoes sliced and stewed and made into sauce, buffalo mozzarella and basil. Then basil pesto, buffalo mozzarella and basil.

All on my stone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Cross post from Post Your Dinner thread..

Sourdough Pizza. The sourdough culture has been in my family since the Yukon Gold Rush, kept alive and passed down through the generations.

Margherita up first. San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil.

Then a pesto, buffalo mozzarella, basil.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
First run of the Uuni 1 pizza oven. Worked out pretty well, got a feel for how to cook with it. The second run should be much better. Wasn't able to snap a finished pizza photo, as each pizza was quickly devoured when it came out of the oven. This is a margherita on sourdough right before the basil went on.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Finished building a table for the pizza oven. Also adding a sheet of steel to the oven to help with upping the thermal mass of the bottom. Hoping to cook again in a few days.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Second run in the new oven went pretty well! Loads of friends and fun.

Starting a pizza...

Homemade prosciutto, buffalo mozzarella, pesto

And basil near the end.

Ooh fire!

Turning a margherita before the basil goes on.

And voila!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Sourdough pizza, San Marzano tomato sauce, heathen-esque regular mozzarella, basil.

Finding good buffalo mozz is hit and miss around here :(

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Pizza Club posted:

I'm thinking about that KettlePizza thing for my Weber. Are there knock-off brands?

I don't know if there are any knock-off's, but I bought one a few months back. It's cool, definitely requires some tweaking and work to get it a party useable status. It's hard to maintain temp after one or two pizzas, and requires more fuel and waiting to wait for it to rise back up to 700+ degrees. That said, the first couple pies when it is really going hot do come out great. If you don't want to spend the money, it's basically a spring steel form with a hole cut out to slide pizzas in. It's well made and works though, and the dudes who make them are nice.
I also have the original Uuni, which works decently, but I'm kinda of customizing that oven as test bed for some ideas to get it hotter than my KettlePizza. The Uuni 2 looks cool, but not sure if I need two of them...tempted to get one to see how much better it works than the original version.
Between the KP, Uuni, and a good stone inside my conventional oven - it's really a toss up to how much work you want to put into the cooking element of your pizza night. Conventional oven with a stone is simple and works consistently. KP and Uuni are more finicky, and take careful fuel planning to really get going well. But they're wood fired and do make the pizzas taste amazing, especially the KP because you can hickory/cherry hardwoods for the fire and get some really delicious flavors going, as well as awesome flame made char on the pie.

I have a problem, and am about to drop $700 on a portable stone dome pizza oven made by these guys - http://pizzapartyshop.com/index.php?id_product=15&controller=product&id_lang=2
Once I have a house and a backyard I'll become a true crazy person and build a massive gently caress off oven but for now this will work for my apartment patio.

Dough is on the rise for a week of pizza making.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Pizza Club posted:

Maybe I should just invest in a good baking steel for now then. I usually do just use my stone, but I've been grilling a lot lately. How do you think the KP would do with just coal? We went to a coal-fired pizza place in Chicago a couple weeks ago and it was great.

It's recommended you use coal and hardwood combined with the KP in order to heat to the max temp. I suggest that you use larger chunks of hardwood if you can fit them, the smaller chunk wood tends to burn down too fast, and don't make for great coal buildup.

I usually do a starter chimney stack full of standard charcoal, and after they've lit and you've dumped them into a pile on the back rim of the grill - wait till they get to just the start of being ashy hot coals, then add your hardwood and let them start up. Now you can put the KP on and start letting the dome come up to temperature. Really let it heat up - 15 mins at least. I find the dome height is maybe a little too high? But I'm working on a solution for that.

That said, I have used a baking steel in my KP and once that thing gets hot it will incinerate the bottom of your pizza before it has a chance to cook on top. My hasty solution after the first time I carbonized the bottom of the first pizza was to cook the top of the pizza on top of a separate pan or peel, then slide it onto the steel for 5-10 seconds to cook. It was a little janky but the crust was terrific for sure.

This afternoon I'm going to try something with my KP - instead of building the fire in the bottom, I'm going to cover the top grate insert and build the fire up high and close to the dome, on the same surface as the pizza will be cooked on. My pizzas are small as it is, so space shouldn't be an issue. With the the dome height issue from before, I think this will allow for a much more direct heat on both the top and bottom. Hoping it goes well.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Pretty successful night.

Getting the fire going. Heat was much more focused and even with the heat source in closer proximity to the dome. Lots of heat loss around the rim, and through lack of thermal mass in the spring steel form. Trying to think of a way to bolster that. I live in an apartment and have limited space to really do anything.

Little guy to start - San Marzano tomato sauce slow stewed all afternoon with basil and garlic, and buffalo mozzarella.

Turned out to be a perfect little hand pie - think I'm going to make these in quantity for my next pizza party. Easy to eat with one hand in a napkin.

Finally, the big boy. Cooked up really well - super happy. Probably in the top 3 pizzas I've made over the last 7 years. Happy to be getting closer to good, hot heat. Dreaming of a bigger oven...

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Went full FrankenPizza oven, but turned out some of the best pizzas I've ever made. Easily hitting 900 degrees in the oven now. Fuckers cook really fast, have to isolate the fire a little more to avoid instant torching. Still, it was tasty char. These were all done on the road, traveling from a few different towns to see friends and family over a weekend. Table, grill, and tub full of pizza stuff and I'm mobile.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

niss posted:

Is that the Jumbo Joe, or the smaller original Smokey Joe?

It's the smaller one, I believe - the 15" size. Because that KettlePizza can actually expand to the full 22" size, I'm tempted to get (yet another) grill so that I can have some space in the oven. The aluminum foil shielding...not sure how to modify that to be more permanent. FrankenOven will eat foil until I get an actual brick oven.

Regardless, super pumped to have an awesome combo of wood fire heat and flavor. The stone/steel combo seems to work - the two together cover up the entire grate so the heat is really isolated to the dome area, helps a ton. I'm gonna try to fab up a small wall to build the fire behind, just something to retain the logs and move the flames more up and out rather than right onto the dough. While fun, it meant a pretty constant amount of spinning and even then it was the difference of a few seconds from looking close to perfect and carbon incineration. Still, the pizzas disappeared into happy mouths of friends, so that's all I can ask for :)

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Quick one tonight, more tomorrow.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Pizzzzza!

Margherita:

Margherita with proscuitto, mushrooms, fig jam:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Forever pizza posting.

Got a new oven, did a test fire last night:

Took it to a friends house tonight for a little get together. This was the only photo I was able to take amidst the cooking and eating. The pizza disappeared as soon as it came out of the oven, hard to snap any post cook pics.
This is pesto with Javelina chorizo, balsamic reduction, buffalo mozzarella, and basil on a sourdough crust.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 17, 2016

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Margherita to start:

Tomato, pesto, prosciutto, pancetta, balsamic reduction, buffalo mozzarella:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Random Hero posted:

Made some pretty great pizza over the weekend on our new KettlePizza.

Looking good! It took me a few runs to tweak the KP to really get it cranking some hot heat, but it definitely was a beast.

Quick margherita from this afternoon. Couldn't make a circle to save my life.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Pizza in the desert!

Sourdough margherita with buffalo mozz. Had a small amount of toppings to try out - prosciutto, pancetta, sun-dried tomatoes (homemade by a friend), pesto, balsamic reduction glaze.
Cranked out about a dozen pizzas and the group went through a couple cases of beer and a half dozen bottles of wine.
Good party.

You better believe I wear the sunhat out there.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Made a full on video of how I make a sourdough margherita in my wood fired oven - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IO0x35ONcg

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Reposting from the main dinner thread.

Made some more pizzas since last week.

Finally made a Margherita that I am truly proud of. Sprung for the actual buffalo mozzarella and it actually does make a huge difference. The texture is softer, , not rubber, but firm, and the tang is amazing.

Pizzas are looking perfectly on point! I would love to see your oven/how you cook them. It's amazing how much better buffalo mozz is for these kinds of pizza. My pizza budget is mostly spent on cheese these days.

Had a party the other weekend, didn't take any photos but a friend snapped one while I was sweating away. Sorry for the low grade camera phone shot -

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks!

I'm actually just using the biggest Pizza Party oven, the Pizzone and I love it. I like how forgiving the space is for moving the pizza around, but I haven't really actually been able to do more than one pie at a time. I open a 9oz ball into a 13 inch skin though, so if I were to shave 2oz off, I could fit two in at a time pretty easily. But 9oz/13in is the perfect size to me, so I am hesitant. Someday I will do a full on traditional oven on a foundation, but with how good the Pizza Party is, the only real benefits are more pizzas at once, and less micromanagement. You need a good solid flame in the Pizzone to get even top down browning, but keeping that level of fire up means the floor is gonna get way too hot, so I cook in waves.

I just got the upgraded Saputo tiles so I can cook hotter, but I've gotten rained out the last two weeks, so haven't even installed them yet. The default floor tiles max out at about 780f, otherwise the bottom burns in my experience. The new tiles have lower thermal conductivity, so should be able to cook in the 900-1000f range without scorching the hell out of the bottom. Faster cook, more traditional crust texture. The current pies are loving great, but actually end up being pretty crispy on the bottom, and the crusts are a little crackly instead of the traditional pillowy soft and chewy. I'll probably just switch out tiles based on what I feel like for the day.

The buffalo mozz is a killer. It is so much better, but so much more expensive. With the portion you see on my pies, it's $3.30 worth of cheese per Margherita. As someone harboring fantasies of opening my own place in the next few years, I have got to find a more reasonable option.

Let me know how those new tiles work, I'm eyeballing them. They would be a good step up while I wait to upgrade to the Pizzone at some point. I'm portioning my dough at 250g balls, so a hair under where you're at now - I agree it's a great size for making a good pie. I may slice off 10-15g each next time, but 250g is a sweet spot for me and the sourdough I work with.

I feel like you and I have the same process going - I too am looking to morph this into a small business at some point. I've managed to get my cheese cost to about $2.75 a pizza including a few good grates of pecorino romano, which is still absurd considering the rest of the drat thing costs a fraction of that. But I imagine if I scaled up to a point where I was serving 25-50 pies at a private party, I'd dig deeper into sourcing buffalo mozz direct from a dairy in CA or WI or somesuch. Right now I'm holding "test bed" parties (much to the enjoyment of my friends) and I've scaled up and managed to pull off 18 pizzas in a 52x50 Pizza Party oven in an hour, which was a fury of sweat, fire, and flour. It was fun, and if I were able to start rocking 2-3 pies at a time I'd really start flying. All in good time.

Looking forward to seeing more of your pies!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
The new hotness came in today.

Excited to fire it up this weekend!

EDIT: Yes, I have a problem.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

The KettlePizza is definitely a viable low cost option! I used and then (heavily) modified a KP for about a year. It's great for the price, but it just wasn't enough heat, space, or ease of use to really make it worth using for anything more than 1-3 pizzas in an evening. If you plan on keeping your pizza cooks small, the KP is a good place to start. If you ever plan on doing bigger parties for friends and the like, you're gonna want something that can get to and maintain a good amount of heat in a space that can handle 1-3 pizzas at a time, be it wood fired or electric. The Pizza Party guys have really hit a sweet spot in the market as far as I can see - it's not as expensive as a permanent installed huge gently caress-off oven that run $2-5k. It's (relatively) affordable if you're really serious about having a WFO for pizzas/breads/meats. There are some other options out there, I think a little more DIY, but I've been super happy with my ovens, and they guys over in Italy who make them are really pleasant to chat with.

My two cents on the whole thing coming from the last 7 years or so of searching for a good home oven, and having gone through 4 iterations of ovens!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
First firing and first pizzas in the new oven! Having all the space was really nice.

And obligatory photo of my girlfriend's cat -

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Looks crazy awesome! And the pizza looks really good too.

What are you using for tomato? That looks crazy thick.

Thanks! They're San Marzano tomatoes, but I cook them down a little then stick blend it to smooth it a bit. It was definitely thicker than usual, but still thinner than it looks.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Do you prefer the flavor of the cooked, or are you just trying to get rid of some of the water to prevent a soupy pie?

I run mine through the medium grind on a food mill to get a consistent texture and get rid of all of the seeds, but my favorite brand of tomatoes is still a little too watery. I plop that mixture into a fine mesh cheesecloth and let it drain. After about 20 minutes I end up with tomato solids the consistency of yogurt, and just add the tomato water back in to reach my desired consistency and chuck (or repurpose) the rest. I wash and reuse the cloth. It's a tiny bit more effort, but I get the perfect product without having to sacrifice the bright fresh tomato taste.

It's a bit of both in regards to flavor and water content. I find that with my sourdough crust, a fresh crushed tomato is just harsh combo with the funkiness of the sourdough. I do a light sautee of some super finely minced onions and garlic, then stew down the tomatoes and basil with them. Maybe 1-2 hours at the most. Stick blend after to make even (I found that "natural broken" chunkiness just wasn't working for spreading on my pies) and let sit for a day or two to flavor up in intensity. It mellows the tomatoes and adds jusssst the finest edge of sweetness to balance the dough and helps round out the overall pizza better. Were I working with a fresh active yeast dough, I would definitely run more a straight traditional uncooked blend of San Marzanos. They're a wonderful tomato, regardless of how they're prepared - I've found them to be really forgiving overall.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

That sounds really awesome. I may have to give that a try.

What brand of tomatoes are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/Marzano-Auth...TQ2DCV89E2&th=1

I just started using these because I can buy 'em 6 at a time. I'm slowly scaling up to larger and larger crowds, and need to start sourcing bulk items to help costs. There were a lot of other factors going on when I tried the first batch of tomatoes, but they were good and didn't seem any different than the DOP San Marzano tomatoes I would get at Whole Foods or Sprouts.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

The Regas are good, but you should give Carmelinas a try on your next order. They don't have the DOP stamp, but they are from Campania, they're notably cheaper, and they are tied for the best tomato that I have tried. I went through 12ish brands side by side, and Carmelina was tied with the Gusta Rosso's that were like $12 PER CAN, through an intermediary since they are only sold in Italy.

Ordered! Thank you for the rec, can't wait to try them. The other tomatoes make for a good pasta sauce anyhow.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Held a NYE pizza party! Good excuse to break in the bigger oven.

One of the proofing trays ready to go!

A Margherita ready to go in the oven!

Making a diavolo style pizza with Calabrian peppers and fennel salami. Get your hands on real Calabrian peppers in oil if you can, they're amazing on pizzas, and the chili oil is a great drizzle on.

Cooking the Calabrian pepper pizza!

Firing off two at a time when I could, which was fun and challenging.

Overall a good night with lots of friends, wine, and pizzas.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Very nice! Where's the finished pizza shots?!? You don't tell your guests they have to wait for their hot food while you instagram it?

The lesson learned was "don't get between a NYE reveler and their pizza."

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
A pizza in 4 steps.

Once I learned to how scoop out a dough ball and turn it out properly, my pizzas have improved quite a bit.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Desert pizzas!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Where is that, NM?

Pizza looks great!

Thanks! This is Las Vegas. About to gear up and start doing pop-up pizza receptions along with a local pop-up wedding business. Excited to get a legit trailer and whatnot!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh nice, I go to Vegas once a year. Have you been to Settebello out there? Not that you'd ever really need to but that was prob my favorite cheap neapolitan pizza place when I visited.

Sette Bello is probably the best neapolitan pie in Vegas, tho they've been hit and miss lately. They do have a great bar at their Summerlin location, so my lady and I hit that a few times a month for good drinks and some tasty slices. But I've made my pizza for a few locals/pizza diehards/Italians and I've consistently heard that my sourdough crust blows everything out of the water, so I'm excited to get it out and into the public more. Always happy to fire up some pizzas for goons coming through Vegas.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Perfect weather to make some pizzas!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

What's your sauce recipe, just curious

1 can of San Marzano tomatoes (Carmelina brand, recommended by another goon here)
8g salt
6-8 basil leaves

Stick blender till just smooth. Good to use right away, or refrigerate overnight and use the next day!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
I just dump the can out as is and blend away! Careful not to over do it, you'll release a ton of extra water from the tomatoes if you overblend then. I stick blend for maybe 8-10 seconds.

These are the tomatoes I use - Carmelina San Marzano Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Puree, 28 ounce (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEW2SXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QOr7ybXEEPCXJ

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

I used to only believe in the church of the thin pizza, but I have been romanced by the heretics of the Detroit style.

Plop a fat blob of cold burrata right as that comes out of the oven and taste heaven.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Memorial Day pizzas!

Margherita about to go in

Margherita

Marinara

House Special - Soppressata and Arugula

Diavola - Calabrian Peppers and Soppressata

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Some sexy lookin' pies there! Bein' a little skimpy on the olive oil on that Marinara though. Granted, I like mine basically drowning.

Thanks! Won't deny it's a little light on the oil for sure, though that may have been the one with a healthy spoonful of chili oil, haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Another day, another chance to make pizzas for friends who are in town visiting!

Diavola in the oven

And right out of the oven

Margherita

Soppressata and Arugula