Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

mama mia

what kind of pep do you use?

It’s called Rosa Grande, which I believe is the commercial version of the Hormel Cup n Char

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

I had a pizza steel forever ago but it was a smallish 1/4" and I (somehow) lost it in a move. Been pining for shaking some pizza off a peel, so I got a piece of 3/8" thick 16x18 steel ($40!), stripped off the mill scale with a little hydrochloric acid and cleaned up the edges. Seasoned up, slapped some dough on it.

Made 4 pizzas in 2 days, all more or less NY style. I could use more heat from the top faster, but I'm pretty happy with the underside.

Also made a tomato pie/apizza sorta thing, which was nice.

Some really good looking pizza 🔥

Got some nice NY slices going

Been working on the square pie game - Grandma style for now

Sausage and Pepp Tomato Pie with Garlic Lemon Ricttoa Dollops

Annnnd our thanksgiving sando
The Dang It, Bobby!
Confit turkey, Mom’s cranberry sauce, Boursin cheese spread, herb aioli, fried shallots, Brioche bun, served with chicken schmaltz gravy on the side for dipping

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Can someone explain what a “backslop” culture is? I want to do a little write up of my process working with my sourdough poolish, but I’ve never heard the phrase backslop before in baking.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Made some pan pizza at home for my wife who had some intense surgery a week ago.

Tomato pie with garlic, parm, oregano, basil, olive oil, and red onions on one side

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

large hands posted:

That's beautiful and I hope your wife is recovering well, but I have to ask... does she really want pizza??

More than you know. She’s also a co-owner in the pizzeria we have together, she’s a pizza fiend :)
The week from surgery to this pizza was the longest she’s gone without pizza in 3 years. She was ready!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
She was sick of hospital food and as stated above - sourdough pizza is tasty and it’s good for the gut! But she’s also just a pizza lover, I got really lucky!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm trying to work out a method for reliably making sourdough pizza. Making the dough in advance just flat-out doesn't seem to work. If I give it more than a few days of fridge ferment, the dough turns into a wet sticky mess that's impossible to handle.

I've had some minor success crash-coursing my way through making a 50/50 blend of fresh dough and fermented sourdough and letting that rise for an hour or two before baking. I don't have much sense of how to work with sourdough though, and I'd appreciate any good reading or tips on the matter

Alright, my goal is to get a write up of my method for sourdough pizza posted here in the next few days. Give me a little grace as I’m the opening dough maker the next few days at the shop. Also here’s the new design we had made for our 1 year anniversary coming up Dec 9, for shirts hoodies and totes

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I tried to get cute and replaced about 30g of pizza flour with 30g of semolina flour (following this recipe) and it really swamped up my cuisinart; I presume because the density of the two flours is so different that the hydration level got thrown way off?

I salvaged it by scooping it out of the processor container and plopping it onto a floured board and kneading about some flour into it. Let's see what happens with these dough balls in the next two days of cold ferment!

Make tavern pies when they’re ready!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

blixa posted:

Finally heading to Vegas for a little getaway a few days after Christmas this year - definitely stopping by Yukon, ogopogo. Hope to run into you (and looking forward to that delicious pizza).

Oh hell yeah! I’m usually there every day we’re open so I should be around!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

blixa posted:

Stopped by today and enjoyed awesome pizza for lunch, t-shirts, and a bottle of that natural wine to go because the glass I had was delicious.

Oh nice, thank you and glad you enjoyed! I picked up a fun little cold over Christmas so I haven’t been back in the shop yet, I miss making pies. What wine did you go for?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
A real Keyser Sozë situation I’ve created around here…

Celebrated our one year anniversary a couple weeks ago - this whole month has been a whirlwind, I’m barely feeling like I’ve been able to keep up.

Big credit to my wife though, she is a real pizza force and is currently recovering from major hip surgery so she’s been outta the shop for the last couple months. I wish I could be there all day every day to meet and greet every goon who visits me (thank you to all of you, seriously!), I’m usually the opener/dough maker so I’m done by midafternoon. My nighttime crew are champs who have been crushing it as we grow and grow.

One of my photog buddies came through and got some nice shots of me and the oven/pizzas. I’ve been so busy this last year I haven’t had any real time to update photos of myself and the shop I’ve worked hard to build!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks y’all for the kind words!

Today we brought back an old classic - the Crab Rangoon Pizza

This thing is stupid good and we get absolutely clobbered whenever we run it. Once I figure out the tech to email pizzas I’ll be able to feed everyone and retire…

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Preechr posted:

I apologize for the extremely stupid question, but are you garnishing with green onions after removing it from the oven? Because my lazy rear end puts them on before it goes in and they come out, uh, not as attractive.

The prebake is just the dough, some mozz and oil, and the imitation crab mix we make for the Rangoon. Then after it’s fired we finish with the green onions, sweet n sour sauce, and fried wontons! The dough is the perfect wrapper for the whole slice.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Well poo poo y’all, I went and competed at the Pizza Expo and won the non-traditional pizza division and am now a world pizza champion?! It’s been an incredibly wild ride of a week and I had no expectation of ending up at the top, so my head is still reeling. Over 500 people competed and only 5 walked away as world champions. Grateful and humbled to be amongst some pizza giants.

The pizza I made had balsamic glazed grilled grapes, fontina, mortadella, burrata, pistachio and almond crumbles, lemon zest, mint, basil, and smoked sea salt.
Proud of what I was able to make and happy with how it all turned out, still beside myself with it all.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 22, 2024

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Thank you, and thank you to those who’ve been by or send people through! I am eternally grateful. Still hasn’t quite really hit me, it’s been a whirlwind week.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

TheBacon posted:

Congrats!

I am in town and was going try and stop by tonight or tomorrow for some award winning pizza. Should I tell whoever I am looking for a goon to say hi?

Come tomorrow! We just sold out of pizzas tonight lmao. The last few days have been loving hammer town. You can ask for Alex! I’ll be there till about 4-5pm tomorrow.

Edit: please, mr. Yukon pizza is my father, you can just call me pizza.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

TheBacon posted:

I have journeyed to the Yukon and had some amazing ‘za. Thank you for the hospitality Mr, Yukon Pizza! (I called your brother this btw when I first walked in and thought he might be you)

It was a pleasure chatting pizza and F1 with you! Hope to see you again soon on your next trip to Vegas 🍕

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

@ogopogo: as a world champion, do you ever use pre-shredded mozzarella?

Heck yeah we do. But it’s the best cheese shred blend on the market (in our opinion), and we think it’s worth it. It’s a mozzarella/provolone blend we use for certain styles of pizza. Other styles we use slices of a really loving good whole milk mozzarella. We use Grande Cheese for pretty much everything, just really good stuff.
https://www.grandecheese.com
My shop is pretty small, and space is a premium in our walk-in and reach-in fridges, as well as around the BOH for equipment. The scales of economics don’t quite work out for us to have the machine to shred the scale of cheese we would need right now, but our eyes are already looking ahead to second location expansion in 2-3 years, where we can really maximize those kinds of things.

Pizza picture tax ❤️🍕

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Who’s ready for a pizza pothead’s favorite day?

We’re doing a few various stoner pizzas but the featured one is a collaboration with the diner next door. Togarashi Fried Chicken & Malted Waffle, with Hot Honey Syrup.

Anyone else here have a good munchies pizza?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Hell yeah

Luckily no one was inside, and the dude stole about $5 in change, but left behind iPads and other poo poo. It sucks but it could’ve been worse. Luckily we’ve got cameras everywhere and the detectives are pretty sure it’s tied to a recent string of similar MO hits in the area. Ain’t gonna stop the pizza train tho, opening in a few hours!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
I sure hope they’re cursed like that!! Had one of our best days yesterday as the all the pizza lovers came out to support us. Super rad to feel the love!

Working on a Sundays Only Sicilian Slice day kinda thing.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hahaha he should switch to tavern-style too to go with the wood.

Plywood Pizza! We’re def bolting the plywood board to the bathroom wall when the glass comes in. Lots of customers have drawn on it or signed it for us, looks really cool.