Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
What about The Nomad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Turkeybone posted:

What about The Nomad?

Didn't like it honestly. It looked like there wasn't a separated bathroom in a lot of the pictures and that's kind of a deal breaker.

We found a great deal on the Lotte NY Palace so we'll be staying there. I'm going to try to get into EMP, Masa, or Le Bernardin for the one fancy meal we're doing. All of the other stuff is going to be fairly casual and will depend on where we are walking that day.

I'm loving excited.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Review
Name: Los Tacos No. 1
Price Range: $20
Dish you reccomend: Quesadilla with pork, on the flour tortilla, everything on it except pineapple.
Comments: Don't know if this place has been reviewed or not, but I grew up in Mexico and moved to the US when I was 29. To be honest, if they operated in Mexico I would probably go there before other taco places, they are that good. Even their tamarind tea was delicious. The only thing they are missing is a hot salsa, their 'hot' one is kind of bland, BUT you can order a 'chile toreado' (not on the menu) which is a charred jalapeņo, you would add some salt and take a small bite of the jalapeņo every now and then. All of my Mexican friends who go here come back super excited and say it was delicious.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

ogarza posted:

Name: Los Tacos No. 1

yup. when any know-it-all californian says there's no good mexican food in NYC, i point them to Los Tacos No.1. If they try it and still think that, i cut ties immediately

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Oh my god you guys weren't kidding about Los Tacos No. 1.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Is Bohemian Resturaunt worth the hype/ BS to get in?
I've been to many of the other NYC sushi staples, but I haven't made it here yet.

And, have the last few replies regarding it really broken my heart about Tanoshi sushi?

I've got to bring a few fairly hardcore foodie friends out in the city just after Christmas, and we all have a taste for both craft cocktails, and sushi. Not necessarily together.

I'm open to any suggestions though!

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

MrDeSaussure posted:

Is Bohemian Resturaunt worth the hype/ BS to get in?
I've been to many of the other NYC sushi staples, but I haven't made it here yet.

And, have the last few replies regarding it really broken my heart about Tanoshi sushi?

I've got to bring a few fairly hardcore foodie friends out in the city just after Christmas, and we all have a taste for both craft cocktails, and sushi. Not necessarily together.

I'm open to any suggestions though!

Wouldn't go to Bohemian for sushi, it's more for their mixed / fusion fare. But, they have great mixed drinks.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I really shouldn't have to ask this question since I lived in NYC for over 20 years, but alas my memory is bad. In med school we used to go to these sushi restaurants that ran deals "half off after you spend 16 dollars or more". So essentially you could order an ungodly amount of sushi and end up paying like 25-30 bucks. Do places like this still exist and where can I find them?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Megasabin posted:

I really shouldn't have to ask this question since I lived in NYC for over 20 years, but alas my memory is bad. In med school we used to go to these sushi restaurants that ran deals "half off after you spend 16 dollars or more". So essentially you could order an ungodly amount of sushi and end up paying like 25-30 bucks. Do places like this still exist and where can I find them?

yes, there are cheap sushi places in NYC. They vary in quality. Many are very very bad. If your only criteria is "where do I get the best value for my sushi buck" Yuka, on 81st and 2nd can't be beat (not even considering the AYCE special, which is surprisingly good for AYCE sushi). If you want actually good sushi, you're not going to get a significant deal anywhere.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Christmas Trip Restaurant reviews -

Got there on the 23rd and ate dinner at La Bonne Soupe which was really good. I had never had escargot and I loved it. French Onion Soup there is amazing.

24th we walked around the West Village and had some pastries while doing some shopping on Bleeker. Ended up getting room service at the hotel so we could avoid the crowds near Saks 5th and Radio City/Rockefeller Center.

25th went to the Russian Tea Room - Prix Fixe for Christmas day lunch. Borscht, Stroganoff, and blintzes. All really well executed but the app and entree were sort of bland. Thought the stroganoff needed a bit more sauce. Blintzes were good.

Got a pizza from one of the Original Ray's places to go back to the hotel with. Was pretty decent.

26th Isabellas for lunch (Columbus and 77th) between museums. Decent food. Nothing bad or great to write about.

Deluxe Green Bo for dinner (used to be New or Nice Green Bo) it's loving amazing and has soup dumplings. Probably the cheapest meal that we had and it was close to the best. Also went to Asia Roma for Karaoke and Forlini's for drinks.

27th went to Tavern on the Green for brunch. I was pleasantly surprised by the food. We both knew it was a tourist trap, but they had great food.

We went to Butter for dinner. 28oz Tomahawk steak. Food was good. The gnocchi were pretty amazing. The steak was perfect. The service kinda sucked, but it was still ok.

28th we were supposed to head back but Chicago O'Hare got snow/ice so we had to stay at a hotel near LaGuardia so we went into Williamsburg. We went to Fornino and it was loving magical. Literally some of the best pizza I've ever had.

We did a lot of drinking too
Trouble's Trust at the Palace is pretty cool. Cocktails are well made.
King Cole Bar at St. Regis is awesome. It just feels warm and boozy.
Russian Vodka Room was our favorite. They have a bunch of their own vodka infusions and they are all pretty good.
The NoMad Bar was great. I liked how it was dimly lit but still felt open and not claustrophobic.
John Dory Oyster Bar was pretty good too.
Asia Roma was fun since we were the only people singing karaoke who weren't regulars.
Forlini's poured strong as gently caress drinks
Greenstreet Tavern in Williamsburg was our favorite. Nice neighborhood bar and the owner was there and extremely friendly.
This n That had a great drag show that night too.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to NYC with my GF over Valentine's weekend. She loves sushi and I would like to take her to a good place but I am not a huge fan (can't get over the raw fish texture). Where is the best place that might have a good omakase menu for us that would work with my tastes? Looking to spend < $100 a person and we don't really drink.

Also, is there a list or Recommendations to find a couple other must try places in the same price range and then some that are more affordable? My plan is one nicer place a day then more affordable on the other meals.

We will be staying in Midtown East but travelling all over to do touristy stuff. Thinking of getting a city pass but not sure about that yet. Already have Phantom tickets and Statue Crown reservations.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Sooooo,

What's up NYCers? Any good eats recently?

* My potentially new favorite ramen place is Zundo-Ya.
* I had a great meal at Estela (skip the burrata, definitely check out the endives w/walnuts and anchovies!)
* Gato was flavorful but pricey. Definitely check out the grilled octopus if you go!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Suggestion Request: One night in New York, our one night without the baby
Dinner style: Very Treaty
Willing to spend: say about $100 a head
Restictions: I like meat and maybe tasting menus can be a bit hit or miss for me

think i've done this right...

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

by.a.teammate posted:

Suggestion Request: One night in New York, our one night without the baby
Dinner style: Very Treaty
Willing to spend: say about $100 a head
Restictions: I like meat and maybe tasting menus can be a bit hit or miss for me

think i've done this right...

Clocktower / Minetta Tavern

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
Not dining, exactly, but does anyone know of a place in NYC that sells Pa de Vidre/Pan de Cristal?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I haven't tried, but have you looked at Catalan Gourmet or Despana? Even if they don't carry it, I bet they could point you somewhere that does.

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005
Suggestion Request: Food recommendations for weekend with mom
Willing to spend: No budget, but would prefer to save the fancier dinners like EMP or Per Se for when the rest of the family is with us. I'm sure it's too late to get a table at either one anyway.
Restrictions: Mom does not eat any raw meat, including fish.

I'll be in the city with my mom in 2 weeks from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Any recommendations? We prefer lighter meals, but will eat pretty much anything. We're from LA and visit Taiwan and Japan at least once a year, so we're pickier when it comes to Asian food. Here's what I'm thinking of so far. We're not set on anything though and I haven't actually checked to see where any of these places are located so I don't know how feasible it actually is for us.

Friday Dinner: ABC Kitchen or something simple as I'll be going out for drinks with a friend later that night
Saturday Brunch / Lunch: Something light so we can have a bigger dinner. Maybe a place with good salads along with a good slice of pizza or bagel?
Saturday Dinner: I currently have Kajitsu booked, but am heavily considering changing this reservation to something more memorable. Anything similar to say n/naka or Providence?
Sunday Brunch / Lunch: Balthazar or Gramercy Tavern. I wanted to book Del Posto, but they don't seem to be open for lunch while we're there.

Also, are there any food gifts that would be good to bring back? I'm thinking of getting chocolate chip cookies from Levain, more cookies from Milk Bar, and if I can wake up for it, kouign amann from Dominique Ansel.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Souffle posted:

Also, are there any food gifts that would be good to bring back? I'm thinking of getting chocolate chip cookies from Levain, more cookies from Milk Bar, and if I can wake up for it, kouign amann from Dominique Ansel.

The signature NYC foods travel notoriously poorly. Those cookies travel OK, the DKA will not travel well. If you want baked goods that travel well and a are a bit more New York-y (rather than international faves like chocolate chip cookies), may I suggest Jewish or Italian bakery products? Babka and challah on one hand, butter cookies and such on the other.

(My choice for babka is not, strictly speaking, babka -- Andre's Hungarian, but I admit I've never had Breads', which is supposed to be the current champ)

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005
Thanks! I'll skip Dominique Ansel and get babka from Breads instead.

I've booked Estela and Balthazar for brunch for now, but I still haven't decided what to do about dinner yet.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Oh neat, idk there was a NYC dining thread.

Suggestion Request: Ramen and/or Japanese food
Dinner style: 1 person
Willing to spend: ~$25/head or less
Restrictions: None. Not a huge fan of seafood or raw fish though.

Alder fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 16, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alder posted:

Ippudo

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Alder posted:

Mu Ramen. Arguably best ramen in city, one stop into Queens. Just be aware it's still very hard to get a table.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Seconding Mu. I think Ippudo and Mu both are great overall experiences with great appetizers as well.

For just ramen, two favorites in Manhattan are:
Ramen Lab - the restaurant for Sun Noodles in Soho. Has some more "experimental" style ramen but the time I have been it was great. Only evening hours though and there will be a line. It's only a small counter
Minca Ramen - Great ramen and options for noodles as well. Also very small, so expect a line.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A Japanese expat I knew absolutely swore by Nishida Shoten for ramen.

As far as regular Japanese food, I actually feel like one could do a lot worse than Ootoya, despite the fact it's a chain. Both the locations were great.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Alder posted:

Ivan Ramen in Gotham West Market.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Test Pattern posted:

Mu Ramen. Arguably best ramen in city, one stop into Queens. Just be aware it's still very hard to get a table.

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Seconding Mu. I think Ippudo and Mu both are great overall experiences with great appetizers as well.

For just ramen, two favorites in Manhattan are:
Ramen Lab - the restaurant for Sun Noodles in Soho. Has some more "experimental" style ramen but the time I have been it was great. Only evening hours though and there will be a line. It's only a small counter
Minca Ramen - Great ramen and options for noodles as well. Also very small, so expect a line.

hallo spacedog posted:

A Japanese expat I knew absolutely swore by Nishida Shoten for ramen.

As far as regular Japanese food, I actually feel like one could do a lot worse than Ootoya, despite the fact it's a chain. Both the locations were great.

Doh004 posted:

Ivan Ramen in Gotham West Market.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll check it out once I get the time soon.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
ushiwakamaru or sushi dojo?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Contra is easily the best deal in NY

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Massive posted:

Hi there,

I created this guide, maybe it'll help you: http://chu.is/eating/

This is great! Is it alright if I email you about Bohemian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

This is great! Is it alright if I email you about Bohemian?

Sure thing

• Locked thread