Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.

An Alright Guy posted:

Monkey Bar
The Lambs Club
La Grenouille is a bit expensive but your mother would go apeshit if she loves French food. Call ahead and order flowers if you want.

La Grenouille is my suggestion as well. It's completely classic. You can do the pre-theatre menu if you'd like to save a little $$$.

You may also considering taking your mother out for a nice weekday lunch. Jean-Georges has a wonderful prix fixe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

reserve posted:

La Grenouille is my suggestion as well. It's completely classic. You can do the pre-theatre menu if you'd like to save a little $$$.

You may also considering taking your mother out for a nice weekday lunch. Jean-Georges has a wonderful prix fixe.

The Marea lunch is pretty awesome as well.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Request
Dinner style:Dinner for 30 or so
Willing to spend: We'd like to keep it around 100/person
Restictions: Craft beers are a plus but not a requirement. This will be on a Friday night in May (some places won't accommodate groups this large on Fridays).

We're considering Wine:30, Riverpark, and Fabio Piccolo Fiore's and looking for more suggestions. We had dinner at Cask last week and that would have been perfect except they don't do groups this large Thurs or Fri, we loved the atmosphere of the place.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

Request
Restictions: Craft beers are a plus but not a requirement. This will be on a Friday night in May (some places won't accommodate groups this large on Fridays).

We're considering Wine:30, Riverpark, and Fabio Piccolo Fiore's and looking for more suggestions. We had dinner at Cask last week and that would have been perfect except they don't do groups this large Thurs or Fri, we loved the atmosphere of the place.

It's not quite midtown, but I would look into the group dining scenarios offered at Cannibal. They have incredible beer, and the food is a nice price-point, with large format dining. Not much for vegetarians, though /:

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

The playoffs work the same way

two_beer_bishes posted:

Request

Riverpark has been really great everytime I have been. Maybe you will get lucky and have great weather as their outdoor patio could seat 30 people comfortably. Sounds like a hell of a night to be honest.

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

Halalelujah posted:

The Marea lunch is pretty awesome as well.

It really really is.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

An Alright Guy posted:

Riverpark has been really great everytime I have been. Maybe you will get lucky and have great weather as their outdoor patio could seat 30 people comfortably. Sounds like a hell of a night to be honest.

So we just found out that in our pricerange Riverpark only allows one entree option for the group in addition to a "silent" vegetarian pasta option. We think that's pretty lovely that everyone has to order the same thing for the price they charge. Looks like we'll be looking elsewhere :(

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Ate at Colonie in Brooklyn Heights the other night and it was really, really solid. About 50 bucks for a good dinner with a couple beers (I ate by myself.) Bone marrow egg salad crostini and duck leg with incredibly rich polenta, the best part of the meal was the (free!) surprised dessert of doughnut holes filled with this incredibly delicious cream.

Nice ambience, can take a date here and skate out for under $100, depending on booze. One note: don't get the cocktails. They kinda suck. They have a good wine selection, and decent beer.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Thank you for this thread! I will be visiting the city in a week or so and I love eating so I can't wait! I usually don't eat dessert right after dinner, I like to wait an hour or so. Any places that specialize in dessert that's really good or should I just go back to a 'normal' restaurant?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
No, there are no dessert specialty restaurants in New York.

Dang man, you've gotta give some info. Price range, neighborhood, do you want to sit down or is something like an ice cream place okay?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I feel like I heard about some Chang place offering a dessert-only tasting menu, but that may have been a limited-time thing.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Halalelujah posted:

I feel like I heard about some Chang place offering a dessert-only tasting menu, but that may have been a limited-time thing.

That was a special, one night event at the Milk Bar commissary in WillIamsburg.

That said, Milk Bar is a good lead for our dessert seeking poster. Also, most restaurants will let you come in just for dessert if you are so inclined, so I'd check out things you might be interested in via the TimeOut pastry chef issue or something. Also, there are many great options for pastries outside of straight-up restaurants. You could, for example, try Veniero's, the famous Italian pastry shop. Or perhaps François Payard Bakery for delectable French classics. I would also solidly consider Bouchon Bakery, at the Time Warner Center, for a light lunch, thereafter a shopping sojourn, and finally a return to Bouchon for a sampling of their dessert offerings.

The world is your cupcake, traveller.

avan
Apr 26, 2010
My girlfriend and I are going to NYC for spring break (yeah not too warm but were from the midwest so cold isnt a big deal) We are going to be there for a week and I would at least like to grab dinner at a sit down place 3-4 times. We're staying just off of time square (about a block away) and I was hoping to get some recommendations for a few different types of places.

Best NYC STYLE PIZZA place - Dont care about the price but I would like to avoid spending 100 dollars for a pizza - we spent about 35 on one while we were in chicago.

Best food in CHINA TOWN - I know you mentioned that one earlier in the thread but I was thinking thats probably not the BEST one. Not really worried about money here just want an awesome chinatown experience

Best "SECRET" Restaurant - I figure there have to be some awesome restaurants that the locals know about (maybe some sort of hole in the wall) that just dont get talked about. I want a super cool-non-touristy place to go get dinner for two. No worry about price

Best CHEAP food place - I know new york has a poo poo ton of high volume low price restaurants/grab and go places I want one or more of the best ones to check out

Best ITALIAN FOOD Place - This is a must for new york, if it is in little italy that would be awesome! whatever is the best place for italian food.

Best BREAKFAST FOOD place - I have to imagine there are some good places to get brunch or even just grab a breakfast sandwich that aren't dunkin doughnuts. I dont care if its a grab and go or a sit down place.

Alright thats really all I can think of for now! I don't particularly care for a "best dish" because I like to eat what looks good on the menu usually, but if there is something that you simply MUST have at any of these places I would love to try that!

Thanks so much! I know it wasn't in format but I think you guys can figure it out! GRACIAS!

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

avan posted:

My girlfriend and I are going to NYC for spring break (yeah not too warm but were from the midwest so cold isnt a big deal) We are going to be there for a week and I would at least like to grab dinner at a sit down place 3-4 times. We're staying just off of time square (about a block away) and I was hoping to get some recommendations for a few different types of places.

Pizza - Motorino in the East Village

Chinatown - I like Shanghai Cafe for soup dumplings and Big Wong's for everything else. You'll definitely get a lot of differing opinions on this (as well as everything else on your ask list).

Secret restaurant - I guess the basement at La Esquina is still sort of secret? Freemans is a good bet as well. Pulqueria is definitely a "secret" type restaurant, although the reviews haven't been great.

Cheap food - http://realcheapeats.com/nyc/ is your friend

Italian food - Little Italy is a tourist trap. Torrisi Italian Specialties or L'Artusi for a moderate priced place and Marea and Locanda Verde for pricier Italian food that'll knock your socks off.

Breakfast - Mailino

avan
Apr 26, 2010

sink the biz posted:

Pizza - Motorino in the East Village

Chinatown - I like Shanghai Cafe for soup dumplings and Big Wong's for everything else. You'll definitely get a lot of differing opinions on this (as well as everything else on your ask list).

Secret restaurant - I guess the basement at La Esquina is still sort of secret? Freemans is a good bet as well. Pulqueria is definitely a "secret" type restaurant, although the reviews haven't been great.

Cheap food - http://realcheapeats.com/nyc/ is your friend

Italian food - Little Italy is a tourist trap. Torrisi Italian Specialties or L'Artusi for a moderate priced place and Marea and Locanda Verde for pricier Italian food that'll knock your socks off.

Breakfast - Mailino
Oh wow thank you so much. Ill check into all of those. At Marea and Locanda Verde are there any amazing dishes to try? I figure most italian food is basically the same so if they do something really well I would love to try it.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

avan posted:

Oh wow thank you so much. Ill check into all of those. At Marea and Locanda Verde are there any amazing dishes to try? I figure most italian food is basically the same so if they do something really well I would love to try it.

Yeah, at Marea get the ricci (sea urchin roe covered with lardo on a crostini), the astice (poached lobster with burrata) and the house made fusilli (fusilli with baby octopus in a red sauce that's been enriched with bone marrow) at a minimum. The entrees are good but not fantastic, but I've been blown away consistently by their pastas, appetizers and crudos.

At Locanda Verde, they're rightly famous for their sheeps milk ricotta gnocchi and their lamb meatball sliders. I loved the artichoke ravioli last time I was there, but that might have been a seasonal item.

At L'Artusi, their mushroom starter with an egg over easy and compressed ricotta is like sex on a plate and their fried brussels sprouts are superb.

Actually, you'd do well to visit Torrisi at lunch time (they serve a bangin' turkey sandwich and chicken parm sandwich), as well as their new spin-off restaurant, Parm, which just got 2 NYT stars.

Here are the NYT reviews for all of the Italian places I mentioned:

Marea:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/21/dining/reviews/21rest.html?pagewanted=all

Locanda Verde:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/reviews/22rest.html

Torrisi:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/dining/reviews/09rest.html?pagewanted=all

Parm:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/dining/reviews/parm-restaurant-review-nyc.html?pagewanted=all

L'Artusi:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/04/dining/reviews/04rest.html?pagewanted=all

sink the biz fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 2, 2012

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
Actually, in regards to secret restaurants, Momofuku Ko is the way to go. Probably one of my favorite tasting menus in that price range ($125 pp). It's pretty tricky to get reservations, and the only way to get in is to reserve a spot online:
https://reservations.momofuku.com/login.aspx?unit=1

3 NYT stars and 2 Michelin stars ain't no joke.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/dining/reviews/07rest.html?pagewanted=all

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

Just had dinner at L'Artusi the other night and it was out of this loving world.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

avan posted:

Best NYC STYLE PIZZA place
Best food in CHINA TOWN
Best "SECRET" Restaurant
Best CHEAP food place
Best ITALIAN FOOD Place
Best BREAKFAST FOOD place

I think NYC pizza is pretty unremarkable, but I like the pizza at Eataly. It's definitely not NY style, but you should hit up that place anyway because it really is quite impressive (it's not just a pizza place, it's a clusterfuck of Italianness).

Chinatown is overrated and touristy. Go to Flushing, Queens, it is way better in every way. As for specifics, go where there is a line of people waiting outside. I went to Spicy and Tasty and it was pretty great.

I don't know any "SECRET" restos, whatever that means, but gently caress David Chang. I wouldn't recommend a resto in the Chang empire. Are April Bloomfield restos still considered secret? Probably not but you should eat at one anyway.

Cheapfood...may be an oxymoron depending on your definition of cheap. If you mean < $20pp you can eat at Japadog in the east village, get a bagel and lox at Russ and Daughters (or pickled herring in cream with onions!), or you can always get your tourist on and eat at Katz's Deli. You can also hit up a ramen joint of some type. Ippudo and Totto are good standbys but expect a (sometimes ridiculous) wait. Some argue Hide Chan is better than both. I've never been, but I might remedy that this weekend.

Italian: I was at Babbo last weekend and I thought it was delicious and $75 for the chef's tasting menu is pretty ridiculous given how awesome it is. I've eaten at Lupa and it was also fantastic. There is a Japanese Italian fusion place that I really enjoyed called Basta Pasta in the flatiron.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't know any "SECRET" restos, whatever that means, but gently caress David Chang. I wouldn't recommend a resto in the Chang empire. Are April Bloomfield restos still considered secret? Probably not but you should eat at one anyway.

Italian: I was at Babbo last weekend and I thought it was delicious and $75 for the chef's tasting menu is pretty ridiculous given how awesome it is. I've eaten at Lupa and it was also fantastic. There is a Japanese Italian fusion place that I really enjoyed called Basta Pasta in the flatiron.

Bloomfield restaurants are not even close to being secret...for the most part everyone knows about the new, good, inventive places in the city, places like Roberta's (which owns) are "secret" mostly because people from Manhattan don't often go to Brooklyn for pleasure.

Never had babbo, lupa is good, but for Italian that won't break the budget I would say Osteria Morini. Really, really great food from Michael White (who is also the chef at marea) White actually just opened a place called ai fiori which I have been dying to try, but rezzies are tough and it is a bit expensive.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

knowonecanknow posted:

Thank you for this thread! I will be visiting the city in a week or so and I love eating so I can't wait! I usually don't eat dessert right after dinner, I like to wait an hour or so. Any places that specialize in dessert that's really good or should I just go back to a 'normal' restaurant?

Where in the city? Besides those mentioned above, there's Chikalicious in the East Village, Andres in midtown, the UES and Queens, Cafe Lalo on the UWS, and more.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

avan posted:

Best NYC STYLE PIZZA place - Dont care about the price but I would like to avoid spending 100 dollars for a pizza - we spent about 35 on one while we were in chicago.
John's on Bleecker. http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/

quote:

Best "SECRET" Restaurant - I figure there have to be some awesome restaurants that the locals know about (maybe some sort of hole in the wall) that just dont get talked about. I want a super cool-non-touristy place to go get dinner for two. No worry about price
I don't know about secrets or whatever, but when I was living in that neighbourhood, Fiorini did me right. http://fiorinirestaurantnyc.com/menu.html Try the Broccoli Rape. I'm for serious. Damned good bread, as I recall.

quote:

Best CHEAP food place - I know new york has a poo poo ton of high volume low price restaurants/grab and go places I want one or more of the best ones to check out
You really can't go wrong with Falafels on MacDougall street, between 3rd and Bleecker. Just avoid Mamoun's like the plague. Their stuff is mushy and horrible. But for $2.50 for a falafel sandwich, and around $1.50 for a glass of piping hot Lebanese (or whatever that country was; can't recall) tea, as well as a pretty decent selection of baklava and such, you can't go wrong. I particularly like Ali Baba's, which is across the street from Mamoun's and uses actually good spices in their falafels.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Halalelujah posted:

Bloomfield restaurants are not even close to being secret...for the most part everyone knows about the new, good, inventive places in the city, places like Roberta's (which owns) are "secret" mostly because people from Manhattan don't often go to Brooklyn for pleasure.

You are on crack if you think Roberta's is "secret" in any sense of the word. Two hour waits on a Thursday tell me that Manhattan is awake, aware, and taking yellow taxis to "Morgantown."

Do or Dine (http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/do-or-dine) might be worth the trip out to Bedstuy if you want check out something that the kids are into, and that is probably off the beaten path enough to still be considered secret.

I am also partial to Nate Smith's Allswell (http://allswellnyc.tumblr.com), which opened 3 months ago at Bedford and North 10th (just far enough from the maddening crowd).

Nate Smith was the chef at Spotted Pig, and this is his latest project. I've been twice this week and I am almost hesitant to tell you about it because I want it all to myself. Service is slow (it's Williamsburg, right?), but the food makes up for it tenfold. So does the people watching. I literally sat in front of Pete Wells tonight on his second visit.

For food, I'd get the fried brussels sprouts, the smoked trout on rye, the blood orange and date salad, the squid, the wild mushrooms, the chicken and dumplings, and the pasta (whatever it is that day).

GrAviTy84 posted:

Also, every time you type "resto" someone ruins a perfectly good cut of fish with lovely knife work.

reserve fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 3, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

reserve posted:

Also, every time you type "resto" someone ruins a perfectly good cut of fish with lovely knife work.

I'm sorry it bothers you so much that you ruined that fish you bought, perhaps you should stop reading forums while prepping fish.

Edit: I'm going to the yakiniku resto Takashi tonight. Editing to add just so I can say resto again.

...resto.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

reserve posted:

You are on crack if you think Roberta's is "secret" in any sense of the word. Two hour waits on a Thursday tell me that Manhattan is awake, aware, and taking yellow taxis to "Morgantown."

I put Secret in quotation marks for a reason dude. Every couple months some magazine/paper writes about Roberta's like it is a "discovery," I was making fun of that. Too bad that resto doesn't take rezzies.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Is Degustation still good? If so I'd consider it pretty "secret" and I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was there a year or so ago.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't know any "SECRET" restos, whatever that means, but gently caress David Chang. I wouldn't recommend a resto in the Chang empire.

Why? The food at all of the east village restaurants is delicious, and pretty reasonably priced for the food and labor cost. Ssam bar has, in my opinion, one of the best duck dishes ever.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Am I the only one who think pies and thighs is super overrated? Every time I hear my friends say "chicken biscuit" I grit my teeth.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

avan posted:

Best NYC STYLE PIZZA place
Rubirosa, Artichoke, Keste

Best food in CHINA TOWN
Shanghai Cafe is a good rec for dumplings.

Best "SECRET" Restaurant
Bohemian, Kajitsu - both hard to get into, but pretty "secret"

Best CHEAP food place
Can't go wrong with Mamoun's falafel

Best ITALIAN FOOD Place
Again, gently caress Little Italy. If you can book a lunch at Del Posto, you will not regret.

Best BREAKFAST FOOD place
If you want a neat NYC experience, eat at the greasy spoon diner "Stage" in the east village. Otherwise, grab brunch at Zoe. Get the pancakes.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

infiniteguest posted:

Why? The food at all of the east village restaurants is delicious, and pretty reasonably priced for the food and labor cost. Ssam bar has, in my opinion, one of the best duck dishes ever.

Eh, I've never eaten at ko, which I hear is awesome, so I will reserve a bit of judgement, but I have never been impressed with what I have eaten any time I have been in there. I will make an exception for Milk Bar though, that hits it out of the park.

By the way, ate at Spotted Pig with Gravity tonight and it is still one of my favorite places in the city. The had my favorite oysters (Hog Island) and every dish was just so on point. I think it is really my go-to restaurant, even though the quoted wait times are hilariously dumb.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Halalelujah posted:

Am I the only one who think pies and thighs is super overrated? Every time I hear my friends say "chicken biscuit" I grit my teeth.

Where is your preferred fried chicken? Interestingly enough one of the chef/owners of P&T worked at the Pig for a long time, and Roberta's as well, so surely your issue must be with the hype not the food. The food is good.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.

Halalelujah posted:

when i went there i thought it was overrated. there really wasnt anything special to the chicken. perhaps my palet isnt as advanced but i felt you can get the same kind of fried chicken at your local kfc.

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

dino. posted:

John's on Bleecker. http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/
I don't know about secrets or whatever, but when I was living in that neighbourhood, Fiorini did me right. http://fiorinirestaurantnyc.com/menu.html Try the Broccoli Rape. I'm for serious. Damned good bread, as I recall.
You really can't go wrong with Falafels on MacDougall street, between 3rd and Bleecker. Just avoid Mamoun's like the plague. Their stuff is mushy and horrible.

Wow, their website really does list that as Broccoli Rape. Awesome. I dunno, I havent ever really had any problems with Mamouns, it's usually spot on. I go for the shawarma though, cause y'know, meat.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't know any "SECRET" restos, whatever that means, but gently caress David Chang. I wouldn't recommend a resto in the Chang empire.

Id recommend all of them, I've got more consistently delicious food at the Momofukus than almost anywhere else.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

reserve posted:

Where is your preferred fried chicken? Interestingly enough one of the chef/owners of P&T worked at the Pig for a long time, and Roberta's as well, so surely your issue must be with the hype not the food. The food is good.

No, my issue is with the under seasoned and poorly-cooked chicken, as well as the supremely mediocre biscuits. I don't really care where the chef/owner cooked before, whatever experience they may have sure as hell isn't geting passed onto the staff.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

reserve posted:

It may be "good" but good is definitely not great. Popeye's is good.

And for that matter the fried chicken I have had at Roberta's was not good by any stretch of the imagination.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
I think Pies & Thighs has problems getting solid cooking talent and has some consistency issues. I've had some misses there - chicken not rested long enough, wacky seasoning - but if I have any consistent complaint it's really mediocre service. When the food is on point it's really good (so the fundamental techniques are there) - the fried chicken is juicy and still retains the character of a quality bird, the biscuits have a really nice contrast between the crust and interior, the sides are fun and nicely balanced.

More importantly you have a couple of chefs of solid pedigree who could totally be banging it out in huge Manhattan kitchens who have instead dedicated themselves to running a small place where people without a ton of money can eat pretty good food that is quick, unfussy, and sustainable. You order a chicken plate and you get it to your table in like, four minutes. Sure, you paid 3-4 bucks more than you'd paid for a meal at KFC. But you are supporting local produce, ethical poultry, and a cool group of people who feel that just because you live in Brooklyn and make under 30k a year doesn't mean you don't deserve respectable food. I'll happily continue to give my money to that despite the occasional miss.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

infiniteguest posted:

His food is unremarkable for someone familiar with the genre. He made a pork belly bun, whoopdee fuckin doo. He doesn't even make the buns in house, they're sourced from chinatown. Save your money and go get them from the source where they're fresher, better, and not assembled in the restaurant of a douche that scowls at you when you take a picture then charges you twice as much as they should be.

His ramen is easily the worst I've ever had, and not just in NYC. Clumpy, overdone noodles, lukewarm, under seasoned broth. I really don't get why all the (white) people around me were having tonguegasms when I went. It was not good.

Anyway, I suppose I could go try another of his restos, but the hype behind them, and from what I've seen of his menus, it's more of the same. Why would I waste my money when there are so many other more impressive restaurants in the city?

Weekend trip report:
Also, Spotted Pig is loving awesome. Ate at Takashi with impossible. It was also awesome. Get the fourth stomach. Skip the tongue experience and just order the tongue sinew. Get the raw liver dish.

Totto ramen was meh, Ippudo is better (both are better than momofuku). Actually, I met a Vietnamese guy at Pravda where we sperged out about ramen and we both agreed that momo's was awful.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

reserve posted:

Charles' Southern Fried Chicken (previously Southern Style Kitchen, closed after a car v. building incident and reopened with new name). Best fried chicken in the city, and if you stay for the buffet, rather than grabbing chicken and going, the rest of the southern staples are also fantastic. It's seriously out of the way for most people visiting the city, at 151st and Frederick Douglass, in a part of Harlem that hasn't recovered as well as other parts have, but the price would be unbeatable for a plate of his chicken, let alone for AYCE fresh soul food.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Charles' Southern Fried Chicken (previously Southern Style Kitchen, closed after a car v. building incident and reopened with new name). Best fried chicken in the city, and if you stay for the buffet, rather than grabbing chicken and going, the rest of the southern staples are also fantastic. It's seriously out of the way for most people visiting the city, at 151st and Frederick Douglass, in a part of Harlem that hasn't recovered as well as other parts have, but the price would be unbeatable for a plate of his chicken, let alone for AYCE fresh soul food.

Oooh, I know where I'm going on my next day off. Thanks! Any other out-of-the-way favorites?

I recently discovered this public access show called Bronx Flavor (http://bronxflavor.com), which celebrates the food, people, and culture of the Bronx, and I am really hoping to check out some of the places that Baron Ambrosia visits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyway, I suppose I could go try another of his restos, but the hype behind them, and from what I've seen of his menus, it's more of the same. Why would I waste my money when there are so many other more impressive restaurants in the city?

I think we just fundamentally disagree on some issues of taste (I find momo ramen to always be consistently over-seasoned) but I would really earnestly suggest checking out the rotisserie duck at Ssam bar. The large format meal is good, or if you don't want to make the commitment the duck plate available at lunch is just as tasty.

• Locked thread