Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
Looking for a french restaurant for next Saturday.
I was thinking Balthazar, but can't get a reservation. Any feedback on Vaucluse? any other recommendations on one week notice?

Also, We are going to an 8:00 broadway show Friday night. My wife wants Tapas before hand.
Any recommendations? El Quinto Pino has come up a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Going to be in NYC for Thanksgiving and looking for a good, new place for the Friday after. I've already done most of the tired old dinosaurs, including Le Bernardin & Brooklyn Fare, and am not necessarily looking for just places with stars but a good, newish restaurant.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does anyone know of a place like Swan Oyster Depot(San Francisco) in any Burrough? Just a bar top where you sit and order the days catch off the guy that will be shucking and preparing them for you.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
There is a very wide variety of oyster spots of every theme and schtick; sounds like you want something like a Greenpoint fish and lobster, that might be close to the depot.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks very much. I will report back. I need more kumamoto's in my life, though I don't think you can get them on the east coast.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 17, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

You can, but they're not as commonplace as out there. The high end places usually, and I think I've seen them at like Chelsea Market here and there too.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
For a nice change in scenery I highly recommend going to Desnuda in the EV for your raw seafood hunger.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Anyone got some recommendations for a nice date night in Brooklyn Heights / Cobble Hill / Boerum Hill? Nothing fancy, but would love to eat some good food, no restrictions.

We already really liked Colonie, and Jack the Horse Tavern.

Thanks!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
El Gran Electrica (sp?) is an upscale Mexican place by the same dudes that own Colonie.

Table 87 on Atlantic for excellent pizza and Italian.

Karloff on Court St. serves surprisingly good Eastern European food, although the atmosphere leaves a bit to be desired.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
http://libertadornyc.com/brooklyn is in Cobble Hill. Cute spot for a date.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mikey Purp posted:

El Gran Electrica (sp?) is an upscale Mexican place by the same dudes that own Colonie.

Table 87 on Atlantic for excellent pizza and Italian.

Karloff on Court St. serves surprisingly good Eastern European food, although the atmosphere leaves a bit to be desired.

All three of those own! Just discovered Table 87 and holy poo poo is their pizza the best in the area.

Boosh! posted:

http://libertadornyc.com/brooklyn is in Cobble Hill. Cute spot for a date.

Doing this! Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Word up (I think you say that here?). Londoner with his mother in NY for 4 days. Staying in downtown Manhattan (near Chambers).

Any immediate recommendations for places I can take my mother for dinner this week? 'Must-trys' while we're in the area kind of thing.

Thanks NY

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm taking a trip to NYC shortly for the first time ever. Is the times square applebees worth eating at so you can say you've been to applebees in times square? is the menu any different?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Anae posted:

Word up (I think you say that here?). Londoner with his mother in NY for 4 days. Staying in downtown Manhattan (near Chambers).

Any immediate recommendations for places I can take my mother for dinner this week? 'Must-trys' while we're in the area kind of thing.

Thanks NY

Budget? Type of food you're into? And Chambers and what, if you know?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

Budget? Type of food you're into? And Chambers and what, if you know?

Woops sorry, was a rushed message slightly.

Went out for dinner last night and paid 30-40 dollars per main dish which was fine but probably not much more than that.

Cuisine - no preference, both very unfussy eaters and like to eat anything that's good. We're on duane street and church street I believe.

Thanks!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Tom Brady posted:

I'm taking a trip to NYC shortly for the first time ever. Is the times square applebees worth eating at so you can say you've been to applebees in times square? is the menu any different?

If you are gonna be in NYC then you can't leave Times Square without trying some of that sweet Mickey D's.

Pro tip: get the large fries

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tom Brady posted:

It's the best Apple Bees in the world dude. Lol.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Have I talked about how much I love Takashi before? It is so loving on point every time I've been.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Have I talked about how much I love Takashi before? It is so loving on point every time I've been.

still haven't been. gotta try it!

on the subject of delicious grilled meats, i just tried the new kong ho dong in k-town and it was fantastic. highly recommended.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Anae posted:

Woops sorry, was a rushed message slightly.

Went out for dinner last night and paid 30-40 dollars per main dish which was fine but probably not much more than that.

Cuisine - no preference, both very unfussy eaters and like to eat anything that's good. We're on duane street and church street I believe.

Thanks!

Hmmm - there's a bunch of places either long walks or short cab rides away from there that are fun. Pizza at Motorino, pasta at Osteria Morini. There's the Russ & Daughters café if you like fish. Beauty & Essex is fun, you duck through a door in a pawn shop and are in this huge speakeasy place.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Who makes the best burger in Manhattan that isn't stupidly overpriced?

e: I guess it can be overpriced if it's worth it...

Alris fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 28, 2015

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Minetta Tavern

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Mikey Purp posted:

Minetta Tavern

This.

Spotted pig also worth the hype. Not the line though get there early.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Alris posted:

Eater NY has been doing burger stories once a week (Nick Solares seems to write better and be less full-of-poo poo than others on the site), there are some good reads and you can find a burger than sounds up your alley. But also, Minetta Tavern.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Tom Brady posted:

If I was ever asked to give the latitude and longtitude of where I'd like to drop a giant nuclear bomb, it would be @40.7541106,-73.9731539.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Turkeybone posted:

If I was ever asked to give the latitude and longtitude of where I'd like to drop a giant nuclear bomb, it would be @40.7541106,-73.9731539.

I mean it's probably a troll, but the serious answer for the full ironic experience in that area is Guy's American Kitchen.

Here is the menu:
http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com/

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Jahoodie posted:

I mean it's probably a troll, but the serious answer for the full ironic experience in that area is Guy's American Kitchen.

Here is the menu:
http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com/

I read this menu at least once every 3 months, and I laugh every time.

Also consider reading the NY Times review, http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html?_r=0

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
My company has had their holiday party there every year since it has opened. I've never had such loving garbage in my entire life and if it wasn't for the open bar I would avoid it like the plague on humanity that it is. Usually 4 or 5 people call out the next day. And they're usually the ones that don't or can't drink.

But hey open bar...

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
So we are all agreed on the best ironic Times Square hate eats then.

But really if you need something around there for a cocktail break, Rum Bar is good (though it used to be better)

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Mikey Purp posted:

Minetta Tavern

Jay Carney posted:

Minetta Tavern.

Turkeybone posted:

Minetta Tavern.

Good call. I regret not getting an entree though.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jahoodie posted:

So we are all agreed on the best ironic Times Square hate eats then.

But really if you need something around there for a cocktail break, Rum Bar is good (though it used to be better)

Guy Fieri's place is probably unironically good american food

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alris posted:

Late on this but the lamb burger at The Breslin definitely hits the "expensive but worth it" mark.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Late on this but the lamb burger at The Breslin definitely hits the "expensive but worth it" mark.

Dammit dude I love lamb and I fly tomorrow!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have a suggestion for dinner for 2 around MSG we're going to watch boxing afterwards so steak would be great. Keen's is out because they are booked already for next saturday.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for dinner for 2 around MSG we're going to watch boxing afterwards so steak would be great. Keen's is out because they are booked already for next saturday.

A little late but have you considered eating some korean bbq instead? You'll surely get your fill of meat there. I recommend kang ho dong baekjong – not too far from MSG (10 min walk). There will be a long wait there depending on what time you go; if so you can consider heading to dom's bogan.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Going to be up for a few days around Christmas and I'm trying to find a hotel and places to eat. Hotel budget is < $400/night.

I know that I want to go to EMP if I can (if it's still that good). We're doing Tavern on the Green for brunch one day to be all touristy. Rest of the food is under 50/person I believe.

Any suggestions that I wouldn't have thought of? Last time I went to NYC I went to Dovetail on recommendation from this thread. It was great.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

LTBS posted:

Going to be up for a few days around Christmas and I'm trying to find a hotel and places to eat. Hotel budget is < $400/night.

I know that I want to go to EMP if I can (if it's still that good). We're doing Tavern on the Green for brunch one day to be all touristy. Rest of the food is under 50/person I believe.

Any suggestions that I wouldn't have thought of? Last time I went to NYC I went to Dovetail on recommendation from this thread. It was great.

Have you considered using AirBnB instead of a hotel?

I've written up a guide to my favorite places to eat in NYC. Started as a copy+paste email to visitors coming to NYC. Maybe you'll find it helpful: http://chu.is/eating/

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Massive posted:

Have you considered using AirBnB instead of a hotel?

I've written up a guide to my favorite places to eat in NYC. Started as a copy+paste email to visitors coming to NYC. Maybe you'll find it helpful: http://chu.is/eating/

Normally we would be looking at AirBnB, but we want to do a traditional christmassy hotel. If I could afford it we'd be staying at the Plaza. That kind of place is what we are looking for.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Stay at the Essex house eat at Marea/carbone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
http://www.affinia.com/ bunch of hotels, not insanely priced for NYC. Not the plaza, but good locations and nice. If you're doing the NYC Christmas Tourist thing, there's on on 50th and two in the 30's.

• Locked thread