Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

avan posted:

Best NYC STYLE PIZZA place - Dont care about the price but I would like to avoid spending 100 dollars for a pizza - we spent about 35 on one while we were in chicago.
John's on Bleecker. http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/

quote:

Best "SECRET" Restaurant - I figure there have to be some awesome restaurants that the locals know about (maybe some sort of hole in the wall) that just dont get talked about. I want a super cool-non-touristy place to go get dinner for two. No worry about price
I don't know about secrets or whatever, but when I was living in that neighbourhood, Fiorini did me right. http://fiorinirestaurantnyc.com/menu.html Try the Broccoli Rape. I'm for serious. Damned good bread, as I recall.

quote:

Best CHEAP food place - I know new york has a poo poo ton of high volume low price restaurants/grab and go places I want one or more of the best ones to check out
You really can't go wrong with Falafels on MacDougall street, between 3rd and Bleecker. Just avoid Mamoun's like the plague. Their stuff is mushy and horrible. But for $2.50 for a falafel sandwich, and around $1.50 for a glass of piping hot Lebanese (or whatever that country was; can't recall) tea, as well as a pretty decent selection of baklava and such, you can't go wrong. I particularly like Ali Baba's, which is across the street from Mamoun's and uses actually good spices in their falafels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

LTBS posted:

Suggestion Request
Dinner
Dinner style:
Any
Willing to spend:
less than 500/person
Restrictions:
none

Per Se is booked up the night that I will be in town. I am on the wait list for any time between 7p and 10p.

However, if that doesn't come through, I'll need another suggestion. I'm probably staying that night at a hotel on Columbus Circle if that makes any difference.
I've heard very good things about A Voce, which is at Columbus Circle anyway. :O

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CornflakeS.Pecially posted:

Two unrelated questions:

First, where do you guys think the best cheap Middle Eastern food is in the city?

I've been to the carts on 56th and was really disappointed -- the meat and sauces were super bland. I went to Mamoun's a couple days ago and really liked it, but I feel like there has to be some place that's better. I'm a bit spoiled having lived in Evanston and eaten regularly at Pita Inn for a couple years. Chicago goons will understand. I'm willing to go anywhere.
Mamoun's is overrated. Go to Ali Baba's across the street. Way better flavour.

Years ago, when Puppy and I got married, we stayed in a hostel on the upper west side, and were in walking distance of a charming little Turkish restaurant called Turkuaz.

http://www.turkuazrestaurant.com/

When I called to make reservations, the lady on the phone was super nice. It was our last night in the city, and we wanted to make it special, and splurge on a nice dinner out. When we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess/proprietess took one look at us and said, "Would you like our regular seating, or our Traditional seating?" You could hear the capital letter.

"What's traditional seating?"

"They're low benches with lots of pillows to recline on, and much more intimate."

"Then that's what we'll do!"

Indeed it was more intimate. She sat us in a cosy little corner bench, with fluffy cushions all over, so that we could lean back on the wall, and against each other, while eating. The food was amazing, and the service was attentive and friendly.

It was my birthday, but I don't like sweets, so Steve asked if I could have a birthday cosmo instead, which the proprietess happily obliged.

The place is a little more pricey than Ali Baba's on MacDougall St (and West 3rd), but well worth the money.

• Locked thread