Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All the stuff where they get a hotel room together in Vegas seems a little too pat. Either they cut out some important information, or blatantly manipulated stuff off camera so these two besotten oddballs could get together and have an awkward meeting of the minds. Given the subject matter, at the very least it's distasteful and exploitative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All the stuff where they get a hotel room together in Vegas seems a little too pat. Either they cut out some important information, or blatantly manipulated stuff off camera so these two besotten oddballs could get together and have an awkward meeting of the minds. Given the subject matter, at the very least it's distasteful and exploitative.

Explain to me how a film about two deeply unlikable mentally ill individuals could be anything but exploitative from concept to execution. What about the film isn't laughing at these characters before the hotel rendezvous?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Explain to me how a film about two deeply unlikable mentally ill individuals could be anything but exploitative from concept to execution. What about the film isn't laughing at these characters before the hotel rendezvous?

Did you see it? It doesn't really portray them as unlikable - certainly not as much as it could have - but instead as deeply lonely and confused. It's more about pity than distain. Which I'll grant you is kinda exploitative, but not quite in the way you're characterizing it.

Palomares
Oct 13, 2011

by T. Fine
Restrepo

This doc is about the 2nd Platoon of Bravo Company on a 15-month deployment in the Korengal Valley.
For those who don't know: the Korengal valley was nicknamed The Valley of Death by our armed forces because of the sheer amount of casualties there and was deemed worthless because of how little seemed to get done.
This was the most extraordinarily well done film on the Afghan war I have ever seen. I highly recommend it to anyone that's a fan of documentaries.

Vira
Mar 6, 2007
Sorry, I don't have Netflix anymore but somebody check to see if you can stream Mr. Nobody, it's a pretty fantastic and bizarre but unknown sci-fi film.

It's basically a film about a man who lives in the past, present, future and separate realities his life could have taken simultaneously.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Well, implicitly, yes this is the case. Indeed, most interview-style documentary filmmaker is exploitative on some level if it's not extremely sympathetic to the subject. When I saw Marwencol with the filmmaker in attendance, a film that's extremely sympathetic to its mentally unstable subject, he copped to the need to play it close with the way he depicted Mark Hogancamp. It's a fine line already and crossing the line with actual exploitation is deserving of scorn, IMO.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 17, 2011

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
I love Netflix Instant mostly for easy access to BBC series.

Ink - An odd indie fantasy movie with a similar feel to What Dreams May Come. It also has some creative visuals for a clearly indie-budget movie.

Jekyll - Stephen Moffat's modern retelling of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. It's almost a dark comedy, much funnier and quotable than you might expect.

Sherlock - See above, but with Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson. (You will soon become very familiar with Benedict Cumberbatch, so you might as well get started now.)

Luther - Idris Elba (from The Wire) as a broken detective who keeps falling deeper and deeper into trouble. Also featuring the most lovable sociopath this side of Dexter.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's October, time to watch scary movies, so I recommend this gem

The Burning (1981)

This is a movie that was described to me as the best Friday the 13th movie that isn't called Friday the 13th, and I'd agree. It follows the Friday formula pretty close, although it tries some unique things with it's bad guy and his choice of weapons. A man burned by the kids at the summer camp he works at takes out his revenge the only way a demented monster can.

The movie's main star is the gore and makeup by Tom Savini and it showcases how drat mean he could be in his heyday. The script, interestingly, is written in part by Bob and Harvey Weinstein. Yes, those guys, now famous for pimping the hell out of Oscar bait films, wrote this little gory slasher.

This movie is great - it has Jason Alexander sporting a huge head of hair plus a very young Fisher Stevens!

Also the boat scene is ridiculously brutal.

Also, the "boat scene" is brutal.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Parachute posted:

This movie is great - it has Jason Alexander sporting a huge head of hair plus a very young Fisher Stevens!

Also the boat scene is ridiculously brutal.

Also, the "boat scene" is brutal.

Is the one on netflix the uncut or censored for release version? I'll find out in 5 minutes, either way.I think it's the uncut version, all the murder scenes are intact, according to imdb.

Speaking of brutality, how about non-Korean revenge movies?

The Horseman is a Australian revenge movie, where a father hunts down the men who made a snuff film starring his daughter.

Seven Days is a French revenge movie, where a surgeon spends 7 days brutally torturing the man who molested and killed his young daughter. Lots of rumination on the nature of violence and revenge, and the cost of doing so.

Revenge of the Nerds This American film stars a young Anthony Edwards as an ostracized young man who bands together with his fellow outcasts to extract revenge on their tormentors.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 18, 2011

Parachute
May 18, 2003

red19fire posted:

Is the one on netflix the uncut or censored for release version? I'll find out in 5 minutes, either way.

Could you let me know what you found out? I rented the DVD from Netflix years ago, but I honestly can't remember if it was uncut or not. Either way, I'd still be interested in the differences between the two as well.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Since October really does put me in the mood for horror movies, Netflix has some classics that are pretty much required viewing, so if you haven't seen these yet consider it mandatory.

The Evil Dead
Bruce Campbell's first full length film. A group of friends stay at a cabin in the woods and discover the necronomicon in the basement. Demonic possession ensues, including some great old school special effects.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
George Romero's original Zombie flick. Classic black & white horror. A group of people try to survive the night in a farmhouse while zombies invade.

Creepshow
Directed by Romero, written by Stephen King. This film is 5 short stories about 20 minutes long each. Not as gory as the others, but a very fun movie. It's got Leslie Nielson in it.

From Dusk till Dawn
George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino kidnap a family while trying to escape to mexico, and they have to survive the night from an army of vampires.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Caladan Rake posted:

I went in to my account yesterday to look around more and noticed that it was automatically defaulted to lowest. Should have looked for that, but at the same time, I didn't figure on them doing that, I thought they'd want to put their best foot forward automatically. Oh well, serves me right for making assumptions like that.

I have it turned up to high, but it still wasn't up compared to DVD quality, but it was a noticeable difference. With usage based billing on my internet though, since I'm a cheapass, I'm not sure how much HD stuff I'll be able to watch. Going to be an interesting juggling act for now though.

This is exactly why Canadian Netflix defaults to the lowest quality setting. They're trying to save their customers' bandwidth because of the caps you guys have over there :(

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/netflix-canada-announces-new-bandwidth-management-settings-for-c/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Sorry OP, the ending to The Last Exorcism is unbelievably awful and ruins everything the movie achieved up to that point.

Still a good movie, just turn it off like five minutes before the end and you'll be fine.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - It would cool to watch this not knowing what it's about, because of the way it builds. Most people won't do that thought, so it's about a girl getting an illegal abortion in 80s communist Romania.. It's very slow but intense, I couldn't look away the entire time.

Inferno Dario Argento horror movie. If you're in the right mood, a lot of fun.

Macbeth - The 2010 one with Patrick Stewart. He's a great Macbeth and the whole production is well performed and very cinematic.

Netflix streaming has a much better TV show selection than movie selection. I mostly watch TV shows on it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Please for the love of everything holy, everyone go watch The Vicious Kind, it just got added to watch instantly.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wonder why no one has ever heard of this movie.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I'll second that. The Vicious Kind is really great.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Parachute posted:

Could you let me know what you found out? I rented the DVD from Netflix years ago, but I honestly can't remember if it was uncut or not. Either way, I'd still be interested in the differences between the two as well.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4924854

Basically, the gore shots are a bit longer and you see more blood. The DVD is uncut even though it says it's rated R.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

trip9 posted:

Please for the love of everything holy, everyone go watch The Vicious Kind, it just got added to watch instantly.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wonder why no one has ever heard of this movie.

If you really wanted people to watch it, you would take the time to at least write a short sentence about the premise, or something innovative it does, or really anything that makes me want to watch it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ryan_woody posted:

If you really wanted people to watch it, you would take the time to at least write a short sentence about the premise, or something innovative it does, or really anything that makes me want to watch it.

No need, the poster has Adam Scott in it.

Heck yes, I've been wanting more Adam Scott recently. Queued.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

ryan_woody posted:

Sorry I was in a bit of a rush earlier but got excited when I saw it was streaming now and wanted to post it. It's basically an indie family drama mixed with a romantic comedy... but executed very well. I suck at writing so I'm probably not doing it justice. It really nails a certain tone, and there's a lot more going on in it than in most movies of it's ilk. Quite a bit darker too. The trailer actually does a pretty good job representing the movie in a nutshell, and really plays up the comedy, but you still get a tiny bit of the melancholy from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WwgfenauD0

Also, if you like Adam Scott this is a must see, tons of critics were claiming this was really gonna kick his career to the next level, but I don't think the movie ever really got enough recognition to do it. Regardless, he puts out a real solid performance.

trip9 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 19, 2011

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maxnmona posted:

Sorry OP, the ending to The Last Exorcism is unbelievably awful and ruins everything the movie achieved up to that point.

Still a good movie, just turn it off like five minutes before the end and you'll be fine.
Holy crap, you weren't kidding. :stare:

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!

trip9 posted:

I would say that there's no excuse for the fact that Adam Scott isn't a massive A-list star, but then again, if he was, we wouldn't get to watch him on Parks and Rec every week, so I guess it balances out. Still, Adam Scott definitely deserves to make the big jump to leading major movies once Parks is over.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I tried to come up with three of four different ways to introduce When We Were Kings. None of them worked. Here is the trailer. It is on instant. You will never see a person on screen with more charisma than Muhammad Ali. That is not hyperbole - you will NEVER see a person with more charisma than Muhammad Ali.

I think it is a film many people might have heard about but haven't seen. If you are one, you should remedy that. Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye!

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

From Dusk till Dawn
George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino kidnap a family while trying to escape to mexico, and they have to survive the night from an army of vampires.

I try to make it a point not to tell people about the last part when they see it for the first time. It's a pretty great surprise.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I have to recommend Lo. It's clearly written as a play first that was adapted for the screen, but that said, it's a fun little movie about a guy who summons a demon to learn about the death of his girlfriend. It's very Sam Raimi-Evil Dead II inspired but a bit more character driven.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I don't know if these fall into the obscure category, but this is pretty much turning into the "best stuff on netflix instant" thread anyway so I'll just re-iterate The IT crowd for those who haven't seen it. It's pretty much a must watch for goons, filled with the frustration of people who know technology in a world where nobody else gives a poo poo. I went absolutely gay for Moss.

Probably the best thing about netflix streaming is the amount of british TV series on it. I've been enjoying the poo poo out of the UK version of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares only because it runs fully uncensored, I love cussing, and he cusses the gently caress out of most of his clients. In season 2 he describes a chef's kabob served hanging from a little mast over the plate as a big swinging donkey dick, right to the guy's face. I love it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

KiloVictorDongs posted:

I try to make it a point not to tell people about the last part when they see it for the first time. It's a pretty great surprise.

The DVD is cool because it starts straight into the movie, so you don't get a menu giving things away.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Yeah I tried to be as vague as possible. Seriously great movie, and I agree with you on the ending.

edit: had to add a movie!

The Perfect Host

David Hyde Pierce (Dr. Niles Crane from Frasier) wanted to do something different with this acting.

Here's the tagline: "A fugitive on the run decides to crash a dinner party. But he seriously regrets it when the mysterious and unusual host soon has him convinced that he would have been better off hiding somewhere else."

It's got pretty low ratings all over mostly, which according to wiki is because of "critical of the film's plot structure and length, (however) even the negative reviews praised Pierce and Crawford's performances"

It's a weird movie. It's hosed up. It's a Funny Games role reversal.

But most of all, it's Dr. Niles Crane going from this...

to this...

and finally to this...

all while doing a little of this...

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 19, 2011

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

If you're into John Carpenter, most of his movies are on instant.

Also, I almost forgot my favorite movie of 2010

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
^^ that movie is such a mind gently caress. Is it a mockumentary? Is it real? I can't loving tell!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

It's an entire movie about how everything he thought was totally wrong, the ending fits perfectly, you're a silly goose for not liking it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't get why everyone shits on the ending to The Last Exorcism. I mean, the movie has a bunch of clear flaws throughout (the found-footage thing totally doesn't work with this movie, not with all the hyper multiple-camera editing and scary music), but I don't get why the ending sets people off. What specifically is it that everyone doesn't like? Is it the confirmation that something supernatural is happening? Because if that bugs you, don't watch exorcist movies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I don't get why everyone shits on the ending to The Last Exorcism. I mean, the movie has a bunch of clear flaws throughout (the found-footage thing totally doesn't work with this movie, not with all the hyper multiple-camera editing and scary music), but I don't get why the ending sets people off. What specifically is it that everyone doesn't like? Is it the confirmation that something supernatural is happening? Because if that bugs you, don't watch exorcist movies.

The ending to The Last Exorcism is the most perfect ending in the history of horror cinema and I will give no quarter to those who disagree. The only ending that comes close is The Mist.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah I tried to be as vague as possible. Seriously great movie, and I agree with you on the ending.

edit: had to add a movie!

The Perfect Host

David Hyde Pierce (Dr. Niles Crane from Frasier) wanted to do something different with this acting.

Here's the tagline: "A fugitive on the run decides to crash a dinner party. But he seriously regrets it when the mysterious and unusual host soon has him convinced that he would have been better off hiding somewhere else."

It's got pretty low ratings all over mostly, which according to wiki is because of "critical of the film's plot structure and length, (however) even the negative reviews praised Pierce and Crawford's performances"

It's a weird movie. It's hosed up. It's a Funny Games role reversal.

But most of all, it's Dr. Niles Crane going from this...

to this...

and finally to this...

all while doing a little of this...

First movie I decided to watch when I returned to Netflix. Wasn't let down at all, I'd highly recommend it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The whole thing that makes this movie different from other exorcist movies and thus worth watching is the fact that everything in it could be explained away. The ambiguity is the entire selling point. But besides that, the ending is just really, really stupid and badly done.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

^^ that movie is such a mind gently caress. Is it a mockumentary? Is it real? I can't loving tell!

It's a street art disaster movie.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Did anyone else watch Conan O'Brien Can't Stop? I love the part where he tears Jack McBrayer a new rear end in a top hat.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

fenix down posted:

Did anyone else watch Conan O'Brien Can't Stop? I love the part where he tears Jack McBrayer a new rear end in a top hat.

Gee garsh, what's an E-MALE?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

maxnmona posted:

The whole thing that makes this movie different from other exorcist movies and thus worth watching is the fact that everything in it could be explained away. The ambiguity is the entire selling point. But besides that, the ending is just really, really stupid and badly done.

I dunno, man, I can't imagine anyone watching that movie and honestly thinking nothing supernatural is going to happen. I can't imagine someone watching a trailer for that movie and thinking nothing supernatural was going to happen. They even foreshadowed it with the girl's drawings like halfway through the movie. I certainly wouldn't call pseudo-skepticism "the selling point," not as much as "first exorcist movie shot in found-footage-cam!" was.

Incidentally, all this talk led me to want to rewatch The Exorcist, and lo and behold, it's on Netflix Streaming! The original good version too, not that 2000 "version you've never seen" crap.

I have to say, I forgot all about the spinal tap, needle-in-Regan's-neck scene. That poo poo is brutal.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I dunno, man, I can't imagine anyone watching that movie and honestly thinking nothing supernatural is going to happen. I can't imagine someone watching a trailer for that movie and thinking nothing supernatural was going to happen. They even foreshadowed it with the girl's drawings like halfway through the movie. I certainly wouldn't call pseudo-skepticism "the selling point," not as much as "first exorcist movie shot in found-footage-cam!" was.

By selling point I don't mean marketing, I mean what makes the movie worth watching. It's very elegantly written and directed so that it hits all the familiar exorcism beats in a way that could plausibly be explained through natural means, which is really entertaining. But really, the definitive move to the supernatural isn't the problem. If it was done well, that'd be fine. The problem is that the ending sucks and belongs to a Z-grade horror movie you find for 10 cents at a garage sale, and it really lets down what is otherwise a well made movie.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
Buck Wonderful documentary about the horse trainer that was used for the basis of Robert Redford's character in The Horse Whisperer. It can definitely be appreciated by anyone, as evidenced by the reception it received at Sundance.

Intolerable Cruelty I was never interested in this film until I became more familiar with the Coen brothers. While it is a comedy and slightly cheesy, it's still enjoyable.

Ken Burns The War One of the best documentaries on WWII that I've ever seen. Right up there with The World at War.

In the Name of the Father One of my favorite movies. Daniel Day Lewis and Pete Postlethwaite

Some other lesser known titles worth a watch:
Four Rooms
The House of Yes - really twisted by funny
Broken Flowers - loved the soundtrack to this movie so much that I own it
My Left Foot - Another Daniel Day Lewis movie based on a true story that is definitely worth a watch
Awakenings - Robert Deniro and Robin Williams in a serious role, very good by ultimately depressing movie
The War - Kevin Costner as a war vet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Amaterasu posted:

The War - Kevin Costner as a war vet
I'M SOLD!!!!!!

• Locked thread