Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ryan_woody posted:

If you really wanted people to watch it, you would take the time to at least write a short sentence about the premise, or something innovative it does, or really anything that makes me want to watch it.

No need, the poster has Adam Scott in it.

Heck yes, I've been wanting more Adam Scott recently. Queued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Blompkin posted:

Jekyll

Netflix recommended this miniseries to me, and despite some ridiculous plot twists and a couple of mediocre performances from the supporting cast, I really liked it, especially for James Nesbitt's performance as both Jekyll and Hyde.

Until the second episode, I honestly didn't believe it was the same actor playing both roles. The change is so dramatic, not really with appearance, but with his personality, that I can barely believe it. James Nesbitt is a better actor than I realized.

It's easily my favorite adaptation of 'Jekyll and Hyde', and one of the only ones to make Hyde as sympathetic as Jekyll, perhaps even more so.

The first episode really makes you wait before revealing Hyde, but it's definitely worth it.

I've been wondering about this for a while. How does the writing feel compared to the other Moffat efforts? Is it as well written as, say, A Study in Pink from Sherlock?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Clerks 2 is by no means a great movie, but I laughed and I thought seeing it on opening night really made it 1000x more enjoyable.

Clerks 2 was terrible and almost did enough to make Clerks a lesser film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

Peep Show is now on Netflix. I made a thread about it a year ago, and pretty much the best way to describe it is as a First Person Comedy. The show is shown from the perspective of the leads. It's an amazing show about two hosed up people who do terrible things to each other and other people, and yet, we still love them.

This is where it starts, :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nprCxk6dRNc, and it ends up somewhere along here: :nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbLMqGo9MQ. :nws:

Yeah, just a warning, the second clip might be considered very hosed up, so if you find that funny, you'll love this show. If not...

And just so everyone knows, it's also definitely the most hosed up moment in the show, so don't let it scare you away if you're just watching it for the first time - most of the show takes place in apartments and offices and such, and is just about how terrible of people they are. They very rarely do anything to that extreme. Or if they do, it's to each other, and they probably deserved it. Absolutely amazing show, though, by far one of the best comedies of the decade.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

idoliside posted:

Has Hercules: The Legendary Journey series been taken off? I did the US DNS trick and its worked for shows like Xena and Southpark, but no Hercules oddly enough. I want a 90s nostalgia trip.

Still there for me. Unfortunate that you can't see it, because in my eyes it really holds up today because it never took itself seriously to begin with. Still a very fun series.

If you can get through Hulu I'd highly recommend Jack of All Trades, too. Made by the same people as Xena and Hercules and stars Bruce Campbell in a sort of quasi-Scarlet Pimpernel role. The whole thing has a sort of pirate-y feel, too, because of the interesting location. The great thing is, the tone of the show is the same as the tone of the Hercules/Xena episodes that star Campbell - that is to say, decidedly more fun.

I'd also try the Chrome extension Stealthy if I were you. Works for me on everything BBC and super simple to use.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just wanted to point out: Kill the Irishman is out on Instant. It was a film from last year starring Ray Stevenson, it's a based-on-real-life story of a 1970s Cleveland mobster. I dug it quite a bit and Stevenson is great it in it.

Linda Cardellini from Freaks and Geeks is in it, Val Kilmer is in it too but he doesn't really do much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SRM posted:

I think it's basically the same as the Arrested Development movie, and it's a nebulous project that potentially could happen but likely won't. Also, Maritn Starr showed up on Parks and Recreation this week, basically playing Roman for like 2 minutes.

If he'd been Roman he and Ben would have had an argument about Hard Sci-Fi :colbert:

I think the Party Down movie might have a shot, but it's a little messy timing-wise. They might be waiting to see how the Arrested Development series goes over before anyone takes the chance on it, but by then it might be too late.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone have any suggestions for future-themed science shows/documentaries? I want something that's about terraforming or living in space or similar.

e:This episode of NOVA is pretty good so far, but a bit lightweight.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 13, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Philo posted:

Can anyone recommend me anything that is in the same vein as In The Loop and Boss in that it involves people in politics yelling at each other and is good entertainment?

Sadly nothing I can think of is on Netflix, but in case anyone didn't know, In the Loop was based on/spun off from a TV show called The Thick of it, which is very excellent. The same people are making the new HBO show Veep, which seems likely to also involve people in politics yelling at each other while being good entertainment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kri kri posted:

The Story of Ireland is great, bbc though so I doubt it's on instant.

This isn't related really but is iplayer coming to the states at all? I would love it if only for the docs. I looked on the bbc page but it doesn't say anything except that its only available in the UK.

I haven't tried it on the video player, but the Chrome extension Stealthy works great for listening to the restricted BBC radio content.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't the Star Trek TOS remastered versions used to be on Netflix? Is it no longer?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

I just watched one yesterday, have you tried just searching for Star Trek?

I watched an episode or two and the color and picture quality didn't seem up to par for the restoration episodes I remembered seeing a few years ago. Also the effects shots in the intro looked like the original models, not the slightly upgraded CGI versions and the episode I watched (Menagerie) definitely had the original matte paintings. I know not all episodes got the CGI treatment, but wasn't the intro at least redone before all episodes? I guess when I get the time later this week I should just skip through Amok Time or some other episode I know got the treatment to test it. Maybe I assumed the new CGI was used more than it was. Seems silly that they wouldn't have the option to interchange between the two on Netflix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Outside of TED talks and Nova and Cosmos, what are some of the better science/technology/history shows on Netflix? There's just so much garbage on there it frustrates me trying to find new ones.

e: I specifically don't like ones that just oversensationalize things or try to seem "exciting" rather than just be interesting or capture the imagination and inform.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 5, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone know how the Top Picks work? Mine are filled with things that their "Best Guess for [me]" is 0-3 stars, and very little that has the "Based on your interest in:". Is there any way I can improve these? It's so bad right now I'm wondering if someone else isn't using my account and screwing up my suggestions.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anybody have any favorite sci-fi B/monster movies on Netflix?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ChineseConnection posted:

How old? Modern movies or old black & white era?

Was definitely thinking more 30s-60s. Harryhausen type stuff; 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Valley of Gwangi, etc. or creature features like Them! or even Gremlins. But yeah, The Host is fun too. Just not quite what I'm going for.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 23, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any good dinosaur documentaries on Netflix that aren't really sensationalist? Or overly narrative?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good detective/mystery flicks on Netflix or Hulu? Looking for something a little faster paced and low on the melodrama. Modern or classic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seen both unfortunately. And I'd say Zodiac would fit since it's more creeping dread while keeping things clipping along than slow paced. Great suggestions though. Maybe looking at Untouchables or Dial M? Would love to hear more ideas though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
q=/=e

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone know any decent history documentaries? Preferably Rome/Greece/Egypt, but open to anything pre 20th century. I keep turning different ones on and they're full of bombastic music, historians speaking super passionately in ridiculous hyperbole, determined actor-hopefuls screaming dramatically in slow motion, epic sweeping shots of cities and armies, deep voiced narrators throwing out blatant lies or asking untrue rhetorical questions about theories or the importance of hypothetical events that didn't happen, etc. I just want the history without all the bullshit desperation of needing to be as entertaining as possible.

Also into suggestions on YouTube or Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

It's not a doc, but if you haven't listened to it yet RUN (don't walk, seriously!) to listen to the hardcore history podcast. Carlin has covered a ton of stuff in incredible depth, like the fall of the Roman empire, the Mongols, or right now he's in the middle of WWI. Well worth a listen.

I started the thread on it!

But that's definitely in the vein of what I'm thinking. I found a few dinosaur documentaries that fit the criteria by searching for pre-CGI/pre-00s stuff on YouTube, but not having any real luck doing that for human history.

• Locked thread