Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Blue Velvet would make a pretty good V-day movie. Be sure to grab your date and wheeze "BABY WANTS TO FUUUUUCCKKKK" in time with the film.

Blue Velvet (or Videodrome) aren't available on Netflix, and that makes me sad. Pontypool is the best V-Day movie on Netflix right now.

Sidenote, check out the Danish film Clown. Very funny in all the worst ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

The movie was going okay for me but it was the comically floating camera pulled by a string that finally killed it for me. I guess I'm weird about movies.

By the way,I tried to watch Klown, but got bored really fast...perhaps it's the cultural differences but I couldn't find the funny in it,should I give it another chance? Then I decided to watch Doomsday Book and it was nice Korean movie with a funny ending. Pulse was awesome and I'm currently watching Thirst.

The movie (and TV show its based off of) have been frequently compared to HBO's Curb your Enthusiasm. If you're not into that type of humor, you likely won't enjoy Klown. Even the premise of the TV show is almost exactly like Curb with an idiotic retired comedian getting in trouble all the time because of lack of social skills and equally idiotic friends.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

OK Octopus posted:

Holy gently caress, I've been looking for this since I was in middle school...

http://liquidtelevision.com/video/the-running-man/

Wow, that really was outstanding. I researched and found out it came from something called Neo Tokyo. Any chance the rest of that is out there?

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Daveski posted:

Breaking Bad question - just started watching it this week with my girlfriend, and she is super sensitive to gore so the partially-dissolved body falling through the ceiling in the second episode made her kind of wary to continue on. Can anyone tell me if there is a lot of that sort of thing in the show? Personally I'm already loving it and will continue regardless, but we're wondering if the show is maybe not for the squeamish...

You get one extremely gorey scene per season.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Hey gently caress all you guys who recommended VHS. I like horror anthologies but VHS was pretty loving lame. The first and fourth segments were decently cool. The second was neat enough, but not great. The fifth and framing were lame and the third was loving garbage. Overall not great. Shame, since the idea for the film is really loving cool.

I saw it as a very interesting experiment that was challenging the genre to do more. I think most can say that VHS isn't like something they've seen before. I liked it myself, but I could see how its overall content would be very subjective.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

precision posted:

It isn't? It was earlier this year... drat it, now I want to rewatch it too.

Some old friends of mine once played that film during an industrial dance night and "scored" it. Results were... mixed. They also showed Holy Mountain. Needless to say, not a lot of dancing transpired.

Santa Sangre was on Netflix was quite some time. You can watch most of the Holy Mountain on youtube, I think one or two of the videos got pulled down.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
If you enjoy the Paul Morrissey directed and Andy Warhol produced movies (Flesh, Trash, Heat) that Netflix had up some time ago, there is a movie called Telephone Book that is on now that I can best describe as like those. Check it out for something extremely different.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I just watched Christmas Vacation with my dad, as part of our yearly Christmas tradition, and it's got me in a Christmas spirit. I'd like to keep in the spirit, and have some holiday fun.

Are there any other good Christmas or Holiday movies on Netflix that I should watch? I'm planning on watching Rare Exports later tonight, and probably Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, so I'm open to anything festive.

There is a movie simply called, "Santa Claus" on Netflix. This movie is so bizarre you're sure to be entertained.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3cfQ2oOQc

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What're good animal documentaries to be found on netflix. Or nature stuff in general. I devour that stuff. I've seen all of the David Attenborough "Life of..." and his other specials.

Any recommendations?

"TO CUTE!"

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
If you have any interest in Chinese cinema, it looks like they've added a good number of 5th and notably 6th generation films to the catalog. Although nowhere near as good as Blind Shaft, Frozen was a fairly good example of Wang Xiaoshuai's work. More like Italian neorealism with that raw punk tone.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

ShutteredIn posted:

Could you post some more of these on here you'd recommend?

5th Generation:
Farewell My Concubine
Blush
Happy Together (Wong Kar Wai)
Days of Being Wild

6th Generation
Fallen Angels (Wong Kar Wai)
Fujian Blue
Drifters
Blood of Yingzhou District

Wong Kar Wai is technically second wave HK cinema, but I lumped him how I think he fits best. Sadly his best movie, Chongqing Express isn't on anymore. Honestly, Farewell My Concubine doesn't fit this overall style either, but that movie is so loving good, I couldn't go without listing it on free Chinese cinema you should see. Honorable mention to the Last Emperor, a very good film *about* China, but not made by Chinese that could still fit in the 5th generation history-shame movies nicely. There are also a number of other post-6th generation movies that are ok on queue now, but they don't have the same neorealist value at all as Frozen. Post 2005 movies are mostly commercially based movies, as opposed to the often smuggled out of the country social statements of the previous generation.

Out of netflix, required watching is undoubtedly Blind Shaft, but also Yellow Earth, Black Canon Incident, Beijing Bastards (the closest analogue you'll get to Frozen), and the Story of Qiu Ju. Its hard to watch the Story of Qiu Ju and then watch Zhang Yimou's later sellout artless movies.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

afgrunden posted:

I'm looking for movies with gorgeous, stylize cinematography, particularly if thy are surreal, dreamlike, etc. . I realize this is incredibly broad request. I like action movies, spy movies & thrillers, but I am open to any genre of films as long as they are visually beautiful - so please suggest to me the films with your favorite cinematography.

For reference, I like the movies of Lynch, Parajanov, Jodorowsky, Kenneth Anger ... I recently watch Only God Forgives, which I thought was sort of boring & pretentious but I enjoy it thoroughly because it was very stylish & dreamlike.

Those are four of my favorite directors, especially Anger. Movies of their type come on and off the service, so I'll recommend you some that are on right now and some that you should look out for if they're put back on (or if you find them through other means).

FORMERLY ON NETFLIX
The Paul Morrissey trilogy will remind you of Anger, both in the real, unscripted nature of the acting, and its overt sexual themes. Joe Dallesandro is absolutely amazing in all three of these movies, but an utterly garbage actor in anything else. Holly Woodlawn deserved recognition for her excellent work in Trash, which is the best of the three. All produced by Andy Warhol, I also wouldn't recommend any of his other major releases, except Women in Revolt, starring the always lovely Candy Darling.
Flesh
Trash
Heat

Santa Sangre by Jodorowsky is not as good as Holy Mountain, El Topo or Fando y Lis, but still watchable.
Elephant Man by Lynch is excellent, though quite unlike Eraserhead.
Fellini Satyricon was removed recently. Surreal pictures tend to be poorly funded, this one was not and is as hedonistic as it should be.
Un Chien Andalou is so OG surreal, a young Dali himself is in it.

CURRENTLY ON NETFLIX
L'Age d'Or - You're to far removed from the time this was made to fully enjoy it, but its by Luis Buñuel and Dali
Passion of Anna - Anything by Ingmar Bergman starring Max von Sydow deserves a look.
Dogtooth - won the Academy Award for Best Foreign film and deserved it. This is not a good date movie.
Human Centipede - This is even less a good date film than Dogtooth. I feel they're similar in a way. Look past the hype of the gimmick, the cinematography is beautiful and the man actor well chosen
Holy Motors - Basically the definition of a dreamlike movie you're looking for.
Antichrist - Lars von Trier
Melancholia - Lars von Trier
Sleeping Beauty - feels like a Lars von Trier
Upstream Color
Death Watch - Half early 80s grindhouse, half excellent Harvey Keitel. If you like this, watch Bad Lieutenant.
Twin Peaks - TV series by Lynch. Personally I think its just ok and the second season is not worth the time.
Frozen - Imagine if Anger had been born in China during the 80s
Telephone Book - hyper sexualized late 60s art film. Very good.
Enter the Void - A modern "trip" that I could compare to Anger's Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome

Honorable Mention: watch Easy Rider on Amazon Prime. Before they decided to make a bunch of money in action films, Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholas were well respected artists in cinema. This is not the macho biker movie most in our generation assume it is.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I need to check out a few of those movies, awesome post. I do want to mention that I think Human Centipede 2 improves on the first in every single way, to the point of being nauseatingly unsettling. It's a hard movie to watch, but is very well filmed, has excellent cinematography, and well-executed sound design. It's fantastic in execution, but just so hard to watch.

Human Centipede is a modern day Salo. People focus on the wrong things in both.

If the early silent Luis Buñuel movies interest you, Netflix instant actually has a very respectable amount of Expressionist film from Germany and avant-garde/constructivist film from Soviet Russia. Lots of Fritz Lang, who is almost always well worth your time.

Metropolis
Siegfried
Harakiri
You Only Live Once
Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler
Woman in the Moon
Scarlet Street
Kriemhild's Revenge
Faust
Nosferatu

Battleship Potemkin
Strike!
Earth
Man with a Movie Camera

They also recently added a lot of fantastic flapper comedies (think Peppy Miller from The Artist), a recent favorite of mine being It which was a bunch of fun.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched Antichrist yesterday. It was the first and only Lars Von Trier movie I've seen. It wasn't as omg gross shocking as some things I read made it out to be, but it was pretty good. Even if it barely made sense at all. Is Melancholia worth watching if I liked it?

Antichrist is superficially very different from Melancholia. It doesn't have any shocking gore moments, but Melancholia does share this sense that the characters are hopelessly overwhelmed. Antichrist seems like its more accessible; I believe you have to be in just the right frame of mind when starting Melancholia to enjoy it. That said, I loved it and would recommend you check it out on a lonely night while you're feeling a bit down.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Well, another interpretation is that the other planet is simply metaphorical. It could be interpreted as Dunst's depression becoming all-encompassing and a (again metaphorical) look at how all the parties involved deal with it. Or one could assume that she's already at that point and the disaster event at the end is actually her committing suicide -- something for which she greets with calm acceptance and everyone else is grief struck. "Melancholia" is actually literal melancholy / depression, with effects as real and as devastating, at least to the people involved, as an actual apocalypse would be. Having been through the suicide of my wife some years back, I can certainly vouch for how it feels in a very real way like the end of the world.

This is one of the best summaries I've heard of Melancholia and was also how I saw it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Anybody have any favorite sci-fi B/monster movies on Netflix?

How old? Modern movies or old black & white era?

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Can anybody recommend some gritty 70's NYC movies on Netflix (or Amazon). Also some sleazy 90's thrillers would be nice.

All of the pre-Scarface Al Pacino movies would apply, but sadly the only thing left is The Panic in Needle Park.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Erebus posted:

It is on Netflix. Not the Stephen King It, the 1927 It.

By today's standards it's a pretty typical light romantic comedy, but in a way that's what makes it interesting. It has the beats and the feel of a modern romantic comedy, and you have to remind yourself it was made 85 years ago. It's easy to watch and not as stiff or slow as some other silent movies. It also helps that Clara Bow is adorable.

It is great! That actress is just as cute as a button!

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Blue is the Warmest Color is up. I haven't seen it, but it's gotten a lot of acclaim.

Unrelated, I noticed while browsing last night that Birth of a Nation is available for streaming but I don't know if I can handle 3+ hours of silent, virulent racism.

Its interesting that it wasn't the intent of DW Griffith to make a racist picture, and his next movie which is also on Netflix, Intolerance, was created to counter act it. Intolerance is largely a boring movie, like Birth of a Nation, but is notable for the insanely costly (at the time) sets and costumes, which are still quite impressive today.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

If you don't like Glengary Glenn Ross you either don't like movies or like them for entirely the wrong reasons.

It has one of my all-time favorite scripts, the performances are nuanced and memorable, and even though I wouldn't say that it's visually arresting the movie does an excellent job of looking moldy and tawdry in all the right ways. It also has the weird honor of having the most miserable movie weather I can recall, where people actually look harried and soaked after being outside more than a few seconds.

Watching Jack Lemmon drip on the pristine upholstery of Kevin Spacey's luxury sedan and beg for a lead is what movies are about.

I think its well acted, has a fine script, but the characters are just so unlikable to me. I get the same vibe watching American Psycho and just don't get any enjoyment out of it.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

Speaking of fly-by making GBS threads on beloved movies: Planes, Trains and Automobiles is just an aggressively unpleasant movie.

I feel the same way. I can't stand comedies that have nearly unrelenting, terrible things happen to the protagonist, especially when its mean spirited. I feel the same way about a lot of Ben Stiller movies, with The Heartbreak Kid being the worst.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Orunitier posted:

Snowpiercer is on US Netflix.

I saw it in theaters back in July. Snowpiercer has a unique idea, but the acting is hammy in all the wrong ways, except Tilda Swinton who had an awesome but small part. The movie is filled with gaping plot holes and has one of those terrible Korean endings where the story takes a massive unseen and awful swerve at the 3/4 mark. Personally, I think its not worth your time.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

precision posted:

I thought the main problem with Snowpiercer is that it just didn't have a very good script. I don't care about the premise being goofy as poo poo, I love Sunshine and Dark City and The Fountain and all that. I just thought it was very solidly mediocre from a script-and-acting point of view. It was about on the level of that movie where Malcolm McDowell plays a guy who escapes a worldwide plague by living in a castle.

It did have neat visuals though.

Best line in that terrible script, "BUT HOW CAN I LEAD IF I HAVE TWO ARMS?" Yes the train is a metaphor, but that metaphor is as ham-fisted and juvenile as some 9th grader's poetry notebook.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Parachute posted:

Have you watched American Mary or Maniac (2012)?
I thought Maniac was really outstanding. I've watched it with other people that were very turned off by the whole POV of the movie, but I think Elijah Wood's performance really gave it something special.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Mad Bull 34, all the way.

I love Mad Bull 34. Like, I've written Mad Bull 34 fanfics on anime fiction roleplay websites.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Azran posted:

Alright then. Completely unrelated, my friend group keep recommending me Marco Polo and Vikings. Any opinions?

Neither are really worth your time. There are a lot of great things to watch on netflix, why waste it on mediocre options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
Telephone Book (which is a great movie) isn't censored and has to at least have an X rating.

• Locked thread