Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
I just wanted to say with all this roast chicken talk and no one has posted the best whole roast chicken video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScdUht-pM6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Befriend somebody who has a chicken coop. Once you offer to take overflow eggs once they will never stop coming.

Oh yeah, I can't find borax anywhere. Every grocery store has washing soda, though.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hardware store.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Isn't Borax used as an insecticide? Or just for ants? because anywhere that sells insecticide would sell just plain borax.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I am positive I've seen Borax at Wal Mart in the laundry aisle. I think the brand is 20 Mule Team or something like that.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you're somewhere with an Albertson's, you're somewhere with Mexican grocers. Go there.

Sorry but no, this is not true. I'm in Billings, MT. Plenty of Albertson's, no Mexican or any other kind of ethnic markets whatsoever.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

amishbuttermaster posted:

Sorry but no, this is not true. I'm in Billings, MT. Plenty of Albertson's, no Mexican or any other kind of ethnic markets whatsoever.
http://g.co/maps/wgmd8

first result is http://www.goodearthmarket.coop/, what appears to be an analogue of whole foods. :effort:

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
There's a couple of those in town and they are nothing like any kind of ethnic market. But, like Whole Foods, they're really overpriced.

Edit: I lived in Seattle for 11 years so not having access to those kind of markets really sucks. The produce here is absolutely terrible too.

amishbuttermaster fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 28, 2011

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Jyrraeth posted:

Isn't Borax used as an insecticide? Or just for ants? because anywhere that sells insecticide would sell just plain borax.

You're thinking of boric acid, or hydrogen borate. Borax is sodium borate. :science:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

amishbuttermaster posted:

There are no Mexicans in Billings? I bet there are! Talk to them and find out!

Also, there's a bunch of Hutterites up there, and I'm sure that they're selling good stuff if you ask around and find out where.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There are no Mexicans in Billings? I bet there are! Talk to them and find out!

Also, there's a bunch of Hutterites up there, and I'm sure that they're selling good stuff if you ask around and find out where.

There aren't any Mexican markets and there aren't enough Hispanic people here to support one of any size. This is the whitest, blandest place on Earth. Trust me, I grew up here, there aren't any.

Edit: I should mention that there's a mega Wal-Mart here. If there were any Mexican markets here Wal-Mart would easily undercut them.

amishbuttermaster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 28, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ethnic markets are no guarantee for cheap prices. All the groceries around here basically copy one another. Rice used to be cheaper at the Asian market but recently the price shot up, it's now $12 for the cheapest 10# bag. I do like their chicken better but it's the same price per lb as Krogers. Spices are cheaper but that's less than .01% of my grocery budget and anything I use regularly is much cheaper in bulk. My wife grows herbs which are 1000x better fresh so I try not to buy those dried. The farmer's market is great but very expensive though I've never tried going at closing time.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I think that might be because of the fact that a lot of rice farmers in northern Japan aren't allowed to grow this year, due to the whole Fukushima thing, so they are importing tons of it from the United States. Because of this, rice prices here are shooting up, at least for short grain.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

:qq: Freedom :qq:
Lots of good stuff in this thread. More advice. Eggs and ham. Buy an 18 dollar ham it will last you a month and a half as a single person. Ham and eggs. Ham sandwiches. Stuff a chicken breast with some ham and cheese and you are pretty drat close to cordon blue (the original double down). Wrap a cheese stick in ham and you have ghetto prosciutto wrapped mozzarella.

Also, eggs can be cooked in so many ways it is insane. My favorite is fried with salt, pepper, and some italian seasoning from that italian seasoning grinder you were supposed to buy.

Edit: serve with ham

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I've seen butt portion hams as low as $1.49 a lb here. I like that they come with a nice big hunk of bone in the center for making pork broth. This usually goes into some split pea soup with some smoked ham hocks.

I know I pimp them in every thread about cheap food, but golabki are a ridiculously cheap and hearty main dish. I'm not going to go too far into it as excellent directions can be found here: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/recipestepbyste1/ss/stuffedcabbage.htm

Note that you can use tomato sauce in place of broth. With the leftover cabbage you can mash some potatoes and make colcannon, and then use the broth after the dish bakes for excellent gravy. You can also buy 3 large beets for about $2 where I am and use extra cabbage and carrots to make simple red borscht (boil everything together with some beef stock). No shame in buying some frozen pierogi either.

All in all you can feed at least 6 people for under $15. Don't forget sour cream!

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Lots of good stuff in this thread. More advice. Eggs and ham. Buy an 18 dollar ham it will last you a month and a half as a single person. Ham and eggs. Ham sandwiches. Stuff a chicken breast with some ham and cheese and you are pretty drat close to cordon blue (the original double down). Wrap a cheese stick in ham and you have ghetto prosciutto wrapped mozzarella.

Also, eggs can be cooked in so many ways it is insane. My favorite is fried with salt, pepper, and some italian seasoning from that italian seasoning grinder you were supposed to buy.

Edit: serve with ham

If you have freezer space, stock up on hams after ham holidays, like Easter.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Randomity posted:

If you have freezer space, stock up on hams after ham holidays, like Easter.

Thirding (forthing?) the ham suggestion.

Last Christmas, we got two hams. Ham soup (make like chicken stock: ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, some spices... boil the poo poo out of it for many hours. Tastes really good and great for the winter, add noodles too) was awesome. But also, a small piece of ham (around 4 ounces) + day old rice + frozen mix veggies + soy sauce + egg = really loving good fried rice.

So from those two hams (like 99 cent a pound around Christmas), we ate great for a really long time.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Thirding (forthing?) the ham suggestion.

Last Christmas, we got two hams. Ham soup (make like chicken stock: ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, some spices... boil the poo poo out of it for many hours.

Don't boil your stocks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Casu Marzu posted:

Don't boil your stocks.

EAC meant to say simmer I think.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

silvergoose posted:

EAC meant to say simmer I think.

I did, thanks.

Let boil, then simmer.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

dino. posted:

biriyani

I made this last night and it's delicious. Thanks for introducing me to Manjula's Kitchen, dino.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

gmc9987 posted:

I made this last night and it's delicious. Thanks for introducing me to Manjula's Kitchen, dino.

Her and Maangchi are my faves. But Manjula is so sweet and charming, and has such accessible, inexpensive recipes, that I'm forever suggesting her to people. xD

cluck1000
May 23, 2011

fo'rilla
This book is a nice resource for some stocks and things you can make and keep and customize. I only wish there was a veggie version!

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Dr. Platypus posted:

I think that might be because of the fact that a lot of rice farmers in northern Japan aren't allowed to grow this year, due to the whole Fukushima thing, so they are importing tons of it from the United States. Because of this, rice prices here are shooting up, at least for short grain.

It's the flooding in Thailand, they're the biggest rice exporter. The price is only going to get worse, probably.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Canning was only mentioned once (that I noticed, anyway), so I'm bringing it up again. If you have the space to store food, canning is worth the time and the initial investment in supplies. In the warmer months, stock up on fruits and vegetables and spend some weekends canning. Anything from whole tomatoes to stock (if pressure canned) to applesauce can be canned, and each of those is one less pre-made thing you have to buy. Sometimes I'll even make a single jar of something like banana jam, just to use up a banana that's gotten a little old. There are tons of resources online for canning. My favorites are Food In Jars, The USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning, and Awesome Pickle (which is more science-focused than the other two, but still useful).

Recently my partner was paid for a job in part with an old 30-gallon ceramic crock, so she's going to try making sauerkraut as well using this guide. Crocks are pretty easy to find second hand, or by going through the garages of elderly relatives.

Can the poo poo out of everything!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The more you cook the more you spend. The cheapest way to do it is to cook two meals a week. One goes in to seven tupperwares for lunches. The other goes in to seven tupperwares for dinners. Eat eggs for breakfast.

Cheap meals:
Huge pot of chili.
Huge pot of pasta.
Huge lasagna.
Huge shepherd's pie.
Huge stir fry.

This way my poor grad student lifestyle. Always go bulk and always maximize calories/dollar.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Well paying for condoms is for chumps. Go to a health services place and they'll hand them out by the giant paper bag full.

The first time I used one of those, it broke. Never again for me.

Anyone good red beans with rice recipes? I've read the one on the wiki, but I like reading different ones and seeing which I like best and best fits my pantry/budget.

Agent Calavera
May 7, 2007

Neptr posted:

Anyone good red beans with rice recipes? I've read the one on the wiki, but I like reading different ones and seeing which I like best and best fits my pantry/budget.

I've always liked this one. If you feel up to pickling some pork a few days before, do so. It really makes it better.

Dijon Vu
Nov 5, 2011

Beliebt
I have a lot of fun figuring out how gourmet I can make otherwise generic food. If you can afford cheese, you can make your own sauces with milk and a sauce pan for macaroni, but even if you buy a box of mac and cheese, you can make it really good with a few extra steps.

"Gourmet" Mac n'Cheese Casserole

While the water is boiling, fry some onions in a 10" pan with vegetable oil. Add some celery too if you have it. The trick here is to use what seems like a lot of oil. You want about 1/8 of an inch over the bottom of the pan for one large onion. By the time that's done, your mac should be at the n'cheese stage because you prepared it as usual.
To the m&c, add a can or two of tuna and the veggies and then stir. Now to make a roux, add some oil if you have less than half the oil you started with in the pan and turn the heat down to medium on a gas range or low-medium on an electric range. Slowly add milk until the pan filled with 1/4 inch of liquid. Now add roughly an equal amount of flour as you did oil to the mixture (~1/4 cup) slowly. Mix this in with a whisk or a fork. You should end up with a light-brown sauce of medium viscosity. Add salt to taste and fold the roux into the mac and cheese.

The result is really good.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

dino. posted:

Here are two of them. Another two commonly loved ones are lemon rice, biriyani, and tamarind rice. :) They're all big-time favourites in the south. :P

Thanks for this. Manjula has been a favorite of mine for some time now.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Liking this thread a lot. Some of the prices make me sad though, I wish I could buy food at some of the prices you US goons list, here in Denmark. Can't seem to find a big bag of beans anywhere cheap.

bolo yeung posted:

Thanks for this. Manjula has been a favorite of mine for some time now.
Manjula is great :3:

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

We just got a regular size fridge (we were seriously living off a loving college mini fridge) So now time to stock up, $30 is my goal!

Also, leeks, they are so interesting and I always want to buy some, but I have no idea what I should use them for or what they taste like. I imagine they are kind of like green onions.

Also, a good thing to do to save a couple dollars here and there is buy store brand. It's usually never too different quality-wise and you can save a couple cents to a couple dollars. There are a few things I wouldn't buy store-brand, but most things (pasta, cheese, flour, sugar, butter, canned poo poo) are the same stuff, different package.

I feel like I learned so much from making this thread, now I'm even posting advice for others!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My Little Puni posted:

Also, leeks, they are so interesting and I always want to buy some, but I have no idea what I should use them for or what they taste like. I imagine they are kind of like green onions.

Leek are great for lots of things, but quite different from green onions taste-wise.
They tend to be rather expensive here and often only sold in bundles which I can, living alone, never use before they dry out, but what I did recently was buy a bundle, slice it up and freeze it in a couple of ziploc bags. Why didn't I think of that before...
And pretty much the same story with bell peppers.

Darval posted:

Liking this thread a lot. Some of the prices make me sad though, I wish I could buy food at some of the prices you US goons list, here in Denmark. Can't seem to find a big bag of beans anywhere cheap.
This! (DK goon too.)
I'll try to make a point of visiting ethnic stores and grocers more often, I think those are your best bet for big bags of beans etc. (If you live in Copenhagen, there is a large Asian/Thai store in Valby, visit it just for the vegetables and rice.)

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

nielsm posted:

Leek are great for lots of things, but quite different from green onions taste-wise.
They tend to be rather expensive here and often only sold in bundles which I can, living alone, never use before they dry out, but what I did recently was buy a bundle, slice it up and freeze it in a couple of ziploc bags. Why didn't I think of that before...
And pretty much the same story with bell peppers.

This! (DK goon too.)
I'll try to make a point of visiting ethnic stores and grocers more often, I think those are your best bet for big bags of beans etc. (If you live in Copenhagen, there is a large Asian/Thai store in Valby, visit it just for the vegetables and rice.)

Whenever I get stuck with too many bell peppers, I make a batch of Peperonata. Keeps for ages in the fridge it seems, and goes great on toasted bread, or mixed with pasta (Pasta Peperonata).

Leeks:
Not super cheap, but bacon + leeks + cream (fat for the fat god) is pretty tasty. Goes well with pasta.

(DK goon shopping stuff)
If you're ever close to Nørreport, check out the new market next to it, Torvehallerne. Most of the stuff there is hipster foodie expensive, but there are sometimes stalls outside with some great deals. There's a fruits and greens stall outside which has some high quality stuff which is often cheaper than the supermarket stuff. How are the prices at the Valby place? And is there parking available at it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Darval posted:

(DK goon shopping stuff)
If you're ever close to Nørreport, check out the new market next to it, Torvehallerne. Most of the stuff there is hipster foodie expensive, but there are sometimes stalls outside with some great deals. There's a fruits and greens stall outside which has some high quality stuff which is often cheaper than the supermarket stuff. How are the prices at the Valby place? And is there parking available at it?

Torvehallerne is a strange place, really. I like the idea, but it seems to be undermined by stores with poor selection and steep prices, at least for some things. I have found good deals on vegetables and fruit, and I need to take a better look at the spice store there some time.

I'll confess to only having actually visited that Asian store once, but the greens they have tend to be half or less than regular supermarket prices. There's plenty of parking (map) so go hog wild or whatever.

This is a bit of a derail, it'll probably be better to move any further of this to private!

Fatewarns
Aug 10, 2003
Eater of third world virgins.

Darval posted:

(DK goon shopping stuff)

As a former CPH goon, I'd recommend a very nice ethnic store located right next to the Norrebro metro station; their beans and cornmeal were a good source of cheap nourishment. There are a ton of great ethnic stores in Norrebro, but the one next to the station (don't have a name at the moment) has the largest selection and lots of great deals on Middle Eastern and Indian food.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Neptr posted:

The first time I used one of those, it broke. Never again for me.

Walgreens always has condoms on sale anyway.

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative to beans? I don't like beans. I'm weird, I know.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Pope Mobile posted:

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative to beans? I don't like beans. I'm weird, I know.

Chickpeas/garbanzos or lentils perhaps? I'm not too keen on the first outside of Hummus though.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Pope Mobile posted:

Either tofu or enjoy a nice big dinner of carbs if you're really poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pope Mobile posted:

Do you know how many kinds of beans there are? "I don't like beans" is awfully general. What kinds of beans don't you like? Maybe try another kind, or try them prepared a different way.