Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Make jambalaya!

You can make a chicken broth from a whole chicken carcass and from the odds and ends of chopping up the trinity (onion papers, celery stocks, pepper cores, etc), then you'd just need rice, garlic, salt and pepper and some cajun seasonings. Tony Chacheres is okay if you omit any excess salt from the dish, and it's like $1.

Brown the proteins, then remove and add the trinity, then the garlic. Add the rice in and stir around until it's pretty translucent and starts to get kind of brown, then add your cajun seasoning and your homemade chicken broth, then simmer. Easy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

11b1p posted:

Shred up the meat from a store cooked rotisserie chicken and put Frank's Red Hot Sauce on it. Eat it out of a bowl or on a sandwich.
How many bowls in do you have to be to make this appetizing?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

noblesse posted:

I found some whole chickens at Kroger tonight for 39 fuckin' cents per pound. 39 CENTS! I bought the last two they had. They were around 1.50 each for entire rotisserie-sized chickens. Definitely keep eyes on those sales.
nice Wiggles bait

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Pope Mobile posted:

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative to beans? I don't like beans. I'm weird, I know.
Either tofu or enjoy a nice big dinner of carbs if you're really poor.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Hellwuzzat posted:

1 lb. burger
1 can mushroom soup (Campbell's was good. Store brand was bad. YMMV)
seasonings (I use garlic and rosemary, but you ould try just putting steak spice or pepper)

Wreckus posted:

Seems like a variation of what I make

1 can cream of mushroom (gently caress the haters, I like it :colbert:)
1lb Ground Beef
2c canned mixed veggies
1/2 Onion
1-2c rice

Cook rice and veggies. Saute Onion, brown hamburger, drain. Mix in Cream of mushroom soup and ~1/4c water to thin the soup. Serve over rice and veggies.

Please avoid all of these hotdish-like approaches to food. It's not the great depression anymore, you can throw away your Betty Crocker food ration books now; the war's over.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

babies havin rabies posted:

I usually drain at least half of it out. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong but if I leave it all in I get little seperated streaks of grease in the finished gravy.
You don't have to listen to Wiggles. I make country gravy by draining off the fat, then deglazing with a little water and some bouillon powder, then I thicken it with a really quick cornstarch slurry. It's really awesome gravy and you don't have to use all that awful fat.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Yawgmoth posted:

That's because spam is made with the bits of "meat" they they can only reach by blasting an air hose into the stripped carcass and collecting what meat particles the employees don't inhale (and later die from).
How is it GWS can both praise snout to tail eating and butchering lifestyles, have entire threads dedicated to eating obscure offal, then turn around and be absolutely disgusted by "bits from a carcass" or gland meat?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Ammanas posted:

http://www.marthastewart.com/318209/slow-cooker-chili-chicken-tacos

I've made that many times and it is wonderful
Salsa chicken rises from the grave once again

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Why wouldn't you just turn your slow cooker to high (which should be around 300 on most models, much higher than the necessary 212 to boil water) and boil the pasta instead of making some horrible slow-cooked starch mess?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
DO NOT PAY FOR THOSE

Go to any grocery deli (Safeway, Kroger, etc.) and ask for them. Most places will have an abundance of them and will either hand them to you for free or for $0.50-$0.75. Try the bakery too if the deli is out.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

A great low cost snack that I like to make is queso blanco.

Saute up some chopped onion and whatever variety of hot pepper is on sale in a medium saucepan, then add a dash of milk (cream works fine too) and a pound of store brand american cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Serve with the "99 cents only" tortilla chips and you have a satisfying snack/light lunch to eat all week long for about $6.00.

I also make chili a lot though I change up the meat to keep it fresh.
Simply... Simply Sarah? Is that you?

I thought you had a heart attack and died in your trailer years ago. :gonk:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

BraveUlysses posted:

Spatchcock aka butterflied
Not quite. Butterfly is splitting the keel bone, opening the chest. Spatchcocking is removing the spine, opening the back.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Chinatown posted:

Is there a slow-cooker thread? I figure this could go in here.

I have a bunch of frozen chicken thighs/breasts/legs and I want to just throw them in a slow-cooker, bones and all, with some broth and other things like spicy things
Spicy things like.......

...salsa?....

:can:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

the littlest prince posted:

I made some cheap-rear end red beans and rice with cheap-rear end smoked sausage once, and boiled the sausage with Tony Chachere's seasoning for somewhere between 4-6 hours as the main cooking step. It was amazing.

Then I did it again for around 3 hours and it was mostly bland.

I didn't measure how much seasoning I used. Is it more likely that I used too little the second time, or that I need to boil it for longer?

(I have some red beans from a white elephant gift and want to try this again.)
The above words with salt level/etc, but also cooking sausages for 6 hours will render all the fat out of them, and they'll turn dry . Try doing the beans first and then adding the sausages the last 30-45min of cooking!

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I can cook pretty well, and I wouldn't have a terrible time feeding myself for $50 for a month, but I would absolutely have to cut back on variety since produce and meat are both super expensive outside of farmer's market season (a single head of broccoli is like $4-5) compared to most of the US.
I want to eat less meat and more vegetables, but it's frustrating when things aren't on sale. Stuff like ginger here went to $5 a pound, and even brussels went up around $4. Meanwhile crapchicken went down to around $1.00/lb or less.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
And then there's articles like this that spread on Facebook like wildfire:

http://thefederalist.com/2014/09/04/complaining-about-home-cooked-meals-is-oppressive/

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

detectivemonkey posted:

I always want to get the giant body pillow bags of rice, but I hate the idea of storing them. Any tips? .
1) Go to a grocery store deli or bakery (decent sized one, like an Alberton's/Safeway
2) Ask nicely if they have a 5-gallon sour cream/mayonnaise/frosting bucket they would be willing to part with
3) Politely say thank you and accept your free 5-gallon foodsafe bucket

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

The Lord Bude posted:

Once you've made your own English Muffins, you can then make your own hollandaise sauce, and make delicious eggs benedict as a reward for making English Muffins.
And then you'll be smoking your own salmon or bacon, raising your own chickens for eggs, getting fresh butter from local farmers, etc.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

The Lord Bude posted:

Well the eggs and the butter is reasonable, but the rest is too much effort for my taste.
Smoking is literally just starting a barbecue with the coals further away from the food. It's the king of poorfoods

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

The Lord Bude posted:

It would probably be cheaper to just buy bacon.
Actually, pork belly ran me $4/lb and the wood was free. I used maybe $0.50 worth of charcoal and about 4 hours of my spare time

Good bacon at the store that's actually smoked and not just painted with liquid smoke is $10-12/lb so I'll leave you with that :tipshat:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Adult Sword Owner posted:

e: I made oxtail stew one day and she ate the hell out of it.
Oh hey whatup oxtail friend

The prices here for oxtail went up to $7.99/lb in some places. It was like $3.50/lb last year :psypop:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

butterflygds posted:

Since there has been a lot of talk of bacon here lately, I buy our bacon at Aldi's (this is the only meat I buy there). The one near us carries an uncured, applewood smoked bacon that runs about 3.50 for 12oz and for our family of two, lasts for two meals (usually homemade biscuits and bacon for Sunday breakfast). The same bacon at a regular grocery store is usually at least twice that price and it tastes so much better than the "cured" bacon with all the nitrates.
It would be a safe bet that the label will have "celery powder" or "celery juice" on your supposedly nitrate-free meat. Celery juice is not regulated and could actually have more nitrates than traditionally cured meat, hth

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not completely poor, but I'm having a hard time staying in budget. And at least for shared dinners, I need to avoid gluten, lactose, beans, added sugar, or pineapple. So it's kind of difficult to find recipes. I got a recipe for sticky rice that I want to try, and I'm going to make fried rice. But I need some cheap recipes for some pretty strict dietary restrictions. Any ideas?

For my own recipes, I'm making chili (with beans) and baked beans, because beans are cheap, and if I'm feeling like it, I can toss both of them on some rice to make it stretch even farther.
A lot of southeast asian food makes heavy use of fish sauce instead of soy, and uses either rice or rice noodles, so there's another option right there for you. Indian food is great too.

Here is one of my favourite vietnamese things and it's gluten free. It's not sugar free though http://www.tarasmulticulturaltable.com/bun-thit-nuong-vietnamese-grilled-pork-with-rice-noodles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

neogeo0823 posted:

Am I the only one that hates broccoli stalks with a passion? It seems that every bag of frozen broccoli
Found your problem.