Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party
Another idea to help out that has really worked well for my boyfriend and I is to sit down and plan out the meals for the week. You can tailor it around what you have in stock; and if you need something, then you simply buy what you need. Plan to have meals with leftovers, and find some good vegetarian meals to fill in a few days during the week. Not only will you save money by having to buy less meat, but you'll expand your menu options too.

I highly recommend getting acquainted with cous cous and quinoa. Cous cous is quick to fix, and you can toss all kinds of things into it (or conversely, toss it into all kinds of things). Quinoa takes a touch longer, but is very hearty and full of protein. Buy both in bulk to save a ton of money as the boxed varieties generally cost too much to bother with.

Grits are your friend! Shrimp and grits can be very quick, filling, and a comforting meal after a long day. Not a fan of shrimp? No problem! Use more bacon, ham, sausage, etc. Creamy, savory grits = yum.

Time is an issue, so when cooking things like beans that may take a while prepare more than what you need for what you're fixing. Stuff the rest of them in jars (or other freezer friendly containers), and store them in the freezer.

When others here mention the whole chicken being cheap, they aren't kidding. I bought a whole hen for the first time, and a 4.5 pound chicken cost just over $4. That's significantly cheaper than one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

There's at least one Food Network show about cooking on a budget (I think one is meals for under $10), and several blogs. Like others have said, you don't have to follow the recipes exactly... just find some that you like and use them as a guide.

Also nthing the Farmer's Market suggestion. When zucchini is in season there's so much of it around you can get it really cheap, and you can use it for a ton of things. Use it to replace the pasta in lasagna. Saute it and serve it with rice. Stuff it with goodies and bake it. Bake sweets with it. Corn's the same way. Buy a bunch of it, boil a few ears, and freeze what you don't need.

Aldi was mentioned, and it is actually worth checking out. They generally have gallons of milk far cheaper than you will find it anywhere else. They also have weekly specials that can be really awesome like bags of spinach for 99 cents, turkey breast "tenderloin" two packs for just over $6, and other goodies. Bring shopping bags with you.

Ravingsockmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

I forgot something important: clear plastic containers in a variety of sizes. Sure you can store your leftovers in an old plastic ice cream container, but then you'll forget to use something up and it will sit around and get terrifying. Also you will always be disappointed that it isn't actually ice-cream. Clear plastic keeps your fridge neat and ensures you actually use your leftovers. Small containers are great for freezing stock, because you can freeze it in 2-cup doses, which is exactly enough for a risotto.

Wide mouth jars are also awesome for soups, stews, chowders, etc. I prefer them because they don't stain, no odors, and no worries about the dish washer melting them (:argh:).

Another thing to look at when you're planning your meals for the week is special ingredients. If you're going to have to buy something that you don't normally buy (celery for me), then you may want to make sure you have other things that you can use it in that week or find a way to preserve it for later use.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

I made something today that was simple as hell, cheap, and drat good. It was mayonnaise. See, we don't use enough mayo to justify getting the store bought jar, and I'm wary of the ultra cheap crap too. If you have a blender or a food processor, then it's worth looking into doing.

Supper tonight was open faced chicken salad sandwiches using leftover roasted chicken, fresh baked bread, and homemade mayo. :allears: