Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, but a lot of these things you can grow in containers. It's fun, and really gives people perspective on how hard growing food really is. I think it's important that everyone try and grow their own produce at some point. Living in Hawaii is a perfect opportunity to learn, as I hear every season is growing season out there.

I recall reading plans where people planted small herb gardens by cutting into and using bags of potting soil. Don't have any links at hand though. Always struck me as a small scale way to get introduced to the wonders of trying to keep pests off your food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Rurutia posted:

30ish pounds of chicken skin in bone in chicken thighs

1. Sear off your chicken in a pan.

That's a helluva pan.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Does anyone have a good app for keeping track of what you have on hand in fridge/freezer/pantry? Or is a note on my iphone the best? How do you all deal?

(I cxposted this in general questions as well.)

I think a lot of this problem would be making sure you're continuously updating inventory as things get used and as you add in from shopping.

I know some of my friends have been using Alexa to maintain shopping lists since the ease of use is speaking out a command. I do not myself though: I like the concept, just not a constantly-on microphone going to Amazon.

I hope someone answers you with a better app, as I have the same question.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Weltlich posted:

So my local supermarket is running a special for the month. Whole Turkeys at $0.37 a pound.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to run small scale logistics for a bunch of friends using a massive chest freezer.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
I searched over the thread for a somewhat related topic: food storage. A lot of references to containers and storage, but not a lot on effective storage guides for kilos of rice or beans or onions.

Having food storage for a month seems like a good idea, especially in cold climates where you might get snowed in or as at the start of US COVID where stores were just flat running out of stuff or closed.

I sort of don't want to be replacing containers often. Or I would if they were inexpensive enough or reusable for nonfood purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Nephzinho posted:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3087/food-storage-containers.html?vendor=Cambro

These are cheap and get the job done. There are slightly nicer lids for an extra couple of bucks too if you really want to ensure things keep longer.

Weltlich posted:

Seconding Cambro as something that is relatively inexpensive, incredibly useful, and lasts forever. It's how I store my flour, rice, beans, sugar, etc. They're handy and rodent proof, and they store away easy because they stack. They might be more expensive than disposable storage up-front, but in the long term they'll save you tons of money.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thanks.
Gonna take awhile to digest all their options. Seems geared for food services' regulation too.