Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Make some hummus. Don't think of it as a spread or dip: hummus can be the main component of any number of easy, complete meals. The ingredients cost next to nothing, it takes two seconds to make, and it's delicious. One of my favourite quick lunches is a sandwich of fresh tomato, raw sweet red peppers, and a massively thick layer of hummus with plenty of salt and black pepper. I tend to make hummus much thicker than most because I find it more satisfying that way.

Also, you can make a huge batch, then freeze individual portions for later use. Just get an ice cream scoop, lay down a sheet of parchment, and dollop the portions onto it. Stick that in the freezer, then snap them off the parchment once they're frozen and toss them in a ziplock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I never really felt that onions/garlic and onion/garlic powder taste the same. There's definitely a place in the kitchen for both, and neither are particularly expensive. Making the powders from scratch would be an interesting experiment, but as a cost cutting measure, probably not that effective.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
N'thing the recommendation for making your own bread. Making good bread may not actually be cheaper than buying lovely bread, but it's definitely cheaper than buying good bread, and nothing builds kitchen confidence like making bread.

It's also a great way to eat on the cheap: I find that sticking a hunk of good bread next to pretty much anything makes it a meal. One of my favourite lazy lunches/dinners is just a bunch of greens, sauteed with some pork (you don't need much, and the more concentrated the flavour of the pork is, the less you'll need), tossed in a bowl with some bread on the side. You can mix up the flavour profile you're going for almost infinitely, too. Fry up a couple ounces of pulled pork, or diced pork tongue, or whatever, add a bunch of shredded cabbage, cook it down, then add some dijon and a bit of honey near the end. It costs almost nothing, tastes great, and it isn't too bad for you.