Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
I found some whole chickens at Kroger tonight for 39 fuckin' cents per pound. 39 CENTS! I bought the last two they had. They were around 1.50 each for entire rotisserie-sized chickens. Definitely keep eyes on those sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't buy 39 cent chickens.

Well, the thread is about being poor and affording to eat, so I'm just trying to contribute some ways for people to be able to eat affordably. V:shobon:V There have been several mentions of megamarts and giant bulk stores already in this thread, which honestly are about the same on the morally corrupt scale if we're looking at it that way.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

One day I tried roasted broccoli and haven't steamed it since. It's soooo good. Gets a little brown and crispy on the edges!

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

There really is no excuse for him for not, at the very least, trying new foods. Unless his father beat him to an inch of his life regularly with bags of carrots and peas then he's a big babby who needs to man the gently caress up. My husband has never refused outright to try something I've made - which to be honest, has even made him sick more than once when I was first starting to learn.

Anyway. One thing I love to do to save time in the kitchen is I bought a tiny food processor ($10) and fill it with garlic cloves, spices, ginger, whatever and store it in the fridge. It makes using garlic and ginger a lot easier since you can buy a kilo of it for about 5$ here and peel it all yourself while a tiny jar of flavourless garlic mince is 2-3$. It also makes everything taste sooooooo muuuuuuch better. You can just use a neutral oil (I personally use peanut) to keep it from going bad within the week. If you're crazy and do buy a kilo of garlic you can always roast it in the oven so you have super cheap, soft and oily garlic to spread on toast.

Really, you can't go wrong with the 20-30 minutes of work once every 2 weeks for fresh garlic and ginger for pennies on the dollar.

This is excellent advice. I'm one of those "dried/minced/powdered/sad jar" garlic users. I don't know any better, ok? :( Can you use a spice grinder or coffee grinder for this job as well? I have a Blendtec, but uhhh, I'm not sure I could use it unless I was planning on filling a five gallon bucket of the stuff.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Krups-203-42-Electric-Grinder-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331988498&sr=8-1