Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Liking this thread a lot. Some of the prices make me sad though, I wish I could buy food at some of the prices you US goons list, here in Denmark. Can't seem to find a big bag of beans anywhere cheap.

bolo yeung posted:

Thanks for this. Manjula has been a favorite of mine for some time now.
Manjula is great :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

nielsm posted:

Leek are great for lots of things, but quite different from green onions taste-wise.
They tend to be rather expensive here and often only sold in bundles which I can, living alone, never use before they dry out, but what I did recently was buy a bundle, slice it up and freeze it in a couple of ziploc bags. Why didn't I think of that before...
And pretty much the same story with bell peppers.

This! (DK goon too.)
I'll try to make a point of visiting ethnic stores and grocers more often, I think those are your best bet for big bags of beans etc. (If you live in Copenhagen, there is a large Asian/Thai store in Valby, visit it just for the vegetables and rice.)

Whenever I get stuck with too many bell peppers, I make a batch of Peperonata. Keeps for ages in the fridge it seems, and goes great on toasted bread, or mixed with pasta (Pasta Peperonata).

Leeks:
Not super cheap, but bacon + leeks + cream (fat for the fat god) is pretty tasty. Goes well with pasta.

(DK goon shopping stuff)
If you're ever close to Nørreport, check out the new market next to it, Torvehallerne. Most of the stuff there is hipster foodie expensive, but there are sometimes stalls outside with some great deals. There's a fruits and greens stall outside which has some high quality stuff which is often cheaper than the supermarket stuff. How are the prices at the Valby place? And is there parking available at it?

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Pope Mobile posted:

Walgreens always has condoms on sale anyway.

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative to beans? I don't like beans. I'm weird, I know.

Chickpeas/garbanzos or lentils perhaps? I'm not too keen on the first outside of Hummus though.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Rurutia posted:

I'm not sure why it would be cheaper. Buying bone-in chicken will always be cheaper than already deboned (as illustrated in this thread with multiple recommendations for buying a whole chicken), and then from there making a stock is just putting it on the stove with some water, with some bits and ends from your vegetables that you'd throw out anyways. This tastes 1000x better than the cubes, as in it actually tastes like chicken stock.

This. It's the main reason I wished for a deboner for Christmas :)

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

pim01 posted:

What's a deboner? It sounds like some horrible chicken-sludge-making machine, and google agrees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eAc5DC1KE0

I've started collecting bones and veggy scraps in the freezer, making stock out of them on the weekend. Somehow the thought of freezing carcasses had never occured to me until I read this forum - I always just chucked them if I didn't have the time to cook stock there and then..

No this is exactly what I got for Christmas. It fits nicely in the corner of my dorm room.

Either that, or this. I can't remember 100%.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
The thing with spam is, it isn't just 100% meat. It's been processed to oblivion.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Mach420 posted:

I went and bought a head of iceberg lettuce. I didn't pay attention, and when I got home, I saw that it was mostly hollow inside after the first few leaves.

When buying things by item price instead of weight, look around for the best package.

What the gently caress, I'd have loved to see a picture of this

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

vonnegutt posted:

Get a garlic press! This is the one I have and it's nearly indestructible. Peel garlic and pop cloves in whole and just smush them right into whatever. Faster and better than mincing, more flavor than pre-minced and just a smidge of :effort:.

Dishwasher safe too. That's a big one.

Heh, I've got that one as well. The Ikea one really is one of the best garlic presses I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Just made this:
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice

Tasty as hell, and I've got a metric fuckton of food now. Gonna be eating this for a while.