Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Not Classy
Dec 21, 2007

I'm not hearing a No.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, except that I work from home, and I am allergic to gluten. Nthing the suggestion to get a slow cooker- you can make bean chilis for incredibly cheap if you buy your beans in dry bulk instead of cans. Hell, even canned beans are a better value for the energy you get than meat. I loving love meat though, so I keep an eye on sales and stock up on large packs of meat when they go on sale. If you love bacon and want to make it last, do what I do: I buy club-packs when they go on sale (3lbs of quality bacon for $10), cook it all up so the bacon is still floppy, but edible. Freeze in individual strips (I just throw the draining bacon on a plate, separate with paper towel into the freezer when I'm done cooking), and then use a couple pieces as you need them. It's helped me go from having to use up a whole pound of bacon in a few days before it goes bad, to having 3 lbs of bacon last 2-3 months in a freezer bag.

Always buy bone-in meats. ALWAYS. Soup is good food, and the suggestions to make stock from bones is essential. When I have ends of veggies that I don't know what to do with, I make a "cream of kitchen sink" soup- carrots, onion, broccoli, celery, potatoes, whatever you've got leftover- throw it into some stock til tender, add a bit of milk to make a cream soup (or don't, it doesnt much matter), add some sage, oregano and s&p, and baby you've got a soup going! I have a hard time getting enough veggies in my diet since I prefer cooked veggies to raw, so soup a couple times a week keep me in vitamins :) Add in a couple pieces of crumbled bacon which you already have cooked in strips in your freezer for some protein, or even cheaper, add some red quinoa for colour and protein.

If you don't own the Joy of Cooking already, buy it. You can probably get older copies at garage sales or flea markets (and the old ones teach you how to kill your own turtle for turtle soup! Useful stuff) and it is pretty much the textbook for Intro to Cooking 101. I rely on mine a lot for the introductions at the beginning of every chapter- they teach you the principles behind cooking techniques. If you can understand that, it's a hell of a lot easier to make up recipes as you go. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU