Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Mason jars are my best friend. I've never been a fan of plastic containers (and if you want to get :tinfoil: plasticizers) for practical reasons.

Other than buying things on sale, and learning how to use ingredients in a variety of ways, I don't have a lot of advice. Learning how to break down a chicken is great, and buying roasts and cutting them down to steaks is great.

The thing about breaking down your own cuts of meat is that if you have the freezer space, you can do it all ahead of time. I'm not a master chef, but I'm also not a complete newbie, the first time I broke down two chickens it took me 10 minutes. Not the best job, but serviceable. 4 breasts, 4 wings, 4 leg quarters, and 2 carcasses. Or you can roast the chicken first, and pull the meat off of it later, either or. Depends on how much you can spend on ways of freezing the parts.

This is a good tutorial on how to break down a chicken.

Slow cookers are awesome, and last forever. I was nearly jumping up and down when my mom gave me one of her slow cookers and a dutch oven. She was confused.

Doing things from scratch is the way to save money, people spend so much on convenience today.

quote:

Another thing to look at when you're planning your meals for the week is special ingredients. If you're going to have to buy something that you don't normally buy (celery for me), then you may want to make sure you have other things that you can use it in that week or find a way to preserve it for later use.

Also this, this time a million. While I may love roast asparagus, I can only eat so much of it in that form.

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

SoundMonkey posted:

If you're buying in bulk (and god drat can you save a lot of money that way), it doesn't hurt to put your stuff in glass jars. Ask me about getting sawtooth grain beetles (which are nearly loving immortal) from some bulk flour I bought :(

Sawtooth grain beetles? Do they live everywhere?

My mom got really excited and bought me a tonne of flours (including some blue cornmeal, which is super neat and I can't wait to make... something with it) for a birthday present, and I don't want anything to go bad, or get eaten by creatures that aren't me or my friends. :ohdear: Though I have a really nice dollar store nearby, so I will be buying some containers if they have any.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Isn't Borax used as an insecticide? Or just for ants? because anywhere that sells insecticide would sell just plain borax.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Teeter posted:

I'm gradually getting better at managing my kitchen and have tried making an effort towards better utilizing my freezer. I'm now pretty good at buying large packs of meat on sale so that I can divvy it up and freeze it in separate portions for cooking later, but unfortunately I'm still pretty bad with foresight and constantly forget to move things to the fridge so that they have enough time to defrost before I want them. This leaves me in situations like tonight where I have a bunch of fresh veggies, but the 8lbs of chicken and beef in my freezer is unusable so I'd still have to go to the store to put a complete meal together.

Does anybody have good recipes for food that I can cook straight from the freezer? I could use a few meal options with ingredients that are either shelf stable or frozen so that I can keep them on hand for these instances where I'm between grocery trips.

For whole chickens I just roast them for about 150% of the time usually needed. About 30 mins in I rearrange the bird so that it roasts the way I like it. I don't think there's a food safety issue as long as its roasting and not slow cooking.

Chili and soups freeze well (or even just stock). I make a lot of 'leftovers soups' based on whatever I have handy in the fridge. A lot of veggie and beans soups come together really quickly/cheaply.